Letter to editor was printed

1 view

jim st.oops

Apr 2, 2014, 6:10:24 PM4/2/14
to rabon saip, mathew metzger, taylor lampson, Brian Stricker, Scott Matsuura

CITIZEN'S UNITED?

Editor

The Supreme Court over the years has granted privileges that only human beings had, such as protections under the Bill of Rights. The "Citizen's United" decision of January 2010 by five justices ruled that it is unconstitutional for congress to pass or the President to sign into law, any restrictions on the "rights" of corporations to pour money into political campaigns, which they said would violate their right to free speech. This ruling overturned a century of laws limiting corporate spending on political campaigns.

There are now thousands of high paid lobbyists promoting corporate interests and influencing legislation by public officials, thus drowning out the voices of the people. Democracy is violated and  the wishes of we the people are overridden. We the people must reject this decision allowing money to buy legislators and legislation.

We need a Constitutional Amendment stating that only individual human beings are protected by our Constitution and that money is not a form of speech. We must obey the true wishes of our Founding Fathers that we the people, not corporations are the decision makers. What can we do?

Please sign the "Build Democracy, End Corporate Rule" Initiative Measure now being circulated In Sonoma County.

Jim Stoops
7777 Bodega Ave. S202
Sebastopol, CA 95472

Now we have McCutcheon! This makes overturning Citizen's United far more important.