Weekly GMO News Update - 8/4/16

Steve

Aug 4, 2016, 3:05:11 AM8/4/16
to gmo >> OSC GMO Campaign

Occupy Sonoma County - Weekly GMO News Update

Local Event

gmofreesonomacounty.com - Citizens for Healthy Farms and Families
August 7, 2016 - 5:00-8:00, Sebastopol Grange - 6000 Sebastopol Ave, Sebastopol
5:00 Dinner - $15 donation includes a movie, Chipotle beef, chicken, vegetarian, vegan burrito or gluten free burrito bowl, beverage and a ticket for a drawing.
6:00 Movie Starts - $10 donation includes movie and a beverage.

National & Global News

washingtontimes.com - 8/2
Anti-GMO activists are seething at President Obama’s quiet signature last week of a bill governing labeling of genetically modified foods, saying he was “cowardly” for approving it as the country’s attention was still focused on the Democratic convention.

Related:

washingtonpost.com - 7/29
Genetically modified wheat not approved for sale or commercial production in the United States has been found growing in a field in Washington state, agriculture officials said Friday, posing a possible risk to trade with countries concerned about engineered food.
Related:

Opinion

responsibletechnology.org - 7/30
Although this is clearly a defeat in our campaigns for getting mandatory labeling in the United States, we are still winning the bigger, more important effort to ELIMINATE GMOs from the market altogether.

huffingtonpost.ca - 8/2
We hear much about the wonders of GM, but the reality is that GM crops have been fraudulently placed on the commercial market, have contributed nothing to alleviating food poverty or food insecurity (have actually undermined it) and have caused a great deal of damage to health and the environment and livelihoods, too.

Note: this GMO news update is only distributed once a week