Let us decide on GMOs

Cassandra Lista

Jul 29, 2015, 2:17:24 PM7/29/15
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

[]

I believe we have a right to know whether our food contains genetically modified organisms.

That's why it's so alarming that the U.S. House just passed a bill intended to keep consumers in the dark.1

Fight back. Tell your senator not to pass the so-called Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act.

The name sounds good, but the proposed law would do nothing to make our food safer and would prevent consumers from getting more accurate information.

What would the bill do? Block states from requiring labels on GMO foods.

That's cause for alarm for anyone who just wants to know what's in the food they're eating. And that's most of us.

Among the public, a strong bipartisan majority favors GMO labeling2, and 64 other countries already require it.3

But if the vote in the House is any indication, we're heading in the opposition direction, blocking states from passing GMO "right to know" laws. Not only is that anti-consumer, it's undemocratic as well.

If you agree that consumers have a right to know about the food we put on our tables, sign now.

Let's make the consumer's voice­our voices­heard in the U.S. Senate.

Thank you for all you do,

Emily Rusch
CALPIRG Executive Director

1 House Passes GMO-Labelling Reform Bill, The Hill
2 Support for Mandatory Labeling of Genetically Engineered Foods is Nearly Unanimous, Survey by The Mellman Group
3 Labeling Around the World, Just Label It Campaign

Support CALPIRG. Contributions by people just like you make our advocacy possible. Your contribution supports a staff of organizers, attorneys, scientists and other professionals who monitor government and corporate decisions and advocate on the public’s behalf.

Join us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

California Public Interest Research Group, Inc., 1314 H St., Ste. 100, Sacramento, CA 95814, (916) 448-4516