E-mails Reveal Monsanto's Influence on Academics

Cassandra Lista

Oct 3, 2015, 12:04:45 AM10/3/15
to GMO

Rent a researcher? Professors, "peer- reviewed" studies: new emails expose how collusion runs deep between academics and the biotech industry.
View this email in your browser

Dear Food MythBusters,

Have you heard the news? A Freedom of Information Act Request by U.S. Right to Know has revealed ties between the biotech industry and academics at public universities—and the many ways industry works behind the scene to influence the story we hear about GMOs. Journalists have scoured thousands of these emails and the reporting is eye-popping and ground-breaking.

From one piece on the emails in Bloomberg: “I need to step aside so I don’t compromise the project,” a Monsanto executive wrote in one of these e-mails. Then, he went on to suggest specific topics before connecting the academics with CMA Consulting, a PR firm hired by Monsanto.

Here are some of the articles that have been published to date. We urge you to go to these sites, share these pieces and let these media outlets know how much you appreciate their fearless reporting.

Thanks for all you do to help spread the real story of our food,

Anna, Christina and the Food MythBusters team

New York Times: Food Industry Enlisted Academics in G.M.O. Lobbying War, Emails Show @EricLiptonNYT @NYTimes bit.ly/1LAKaow

Boston Globe: Monsanto connection never disclosed in @Harvard professor’s #GMO paper @BostonGlobe @laurakrantz bit.ly/1LYVfjw

Bloomberg: How Monsanto Mobilized Academics to Pen Articles Supporting #GMOs @jackkaskey @Bloomberg bloom.bg/1LoGUy0

Mother Jones: These Emails Show Monsanto Leaning on Professors to Fight the #GMO PR War  @MotherJones @tomphilpott bit.ly/1N9WqOs

The Intercept: Jeb Bush Campaign Manager Helped Big Pharma Beat Back Anti-Meth Lab Law (+promotes #GMOs) @the_intercept @lhfang bit.ly/1LoH5cI

J O I N  T H E   M Y T H B U S T E R S

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
We're a lean organization, every dollar counts.
Donate
Copyright © 2015 Food MythBusters, All rights reserved.
You're on this list because you signed up directly via our website at foodmyths.org or opted in via Corporate Accountability International.

Our mailing address is:
Food MythBusters
2201 Broadway
Suite 508
Oakland, CA 94612

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences