Weekly GMO News Update - 7/28/16 draft

1 view

Steve

Jul 28, 2016, 2:37:39 AM7/28/16
to OSC GMO Campaign

Occupy Sonoma County - Weekly GMO News Update

Local Events

gmofreesonomacounty.com - Citizens for Healthy Farms and Families - 7/26
Volunteer Meeting - July 30, 2016  -  9:00-11:00  - 540 Pacific Ave, Santa Rosa across the street from the Odd Fellows' Hall  -  Meet our new Campaign Consultant and find out how you can be a part of a win in November.
http://www.gmofreesonomacounty.com/volunteer

gmofreesonomacounty.com - Citizens for Healthy Farms and Families - 7/16
August 7, 2016 - 5:00-8:00, Sebastopol Grange - 6000 Sebastopol Ave, Sebastopol
5:00 Dinner - $15 donation includes a movie, Chipotle beef, chicken, vegetarian, vegan burrito or gluten free burrito bowl, beverage and a ticket for a drawing.
6:00 Movie Starts - $10 donation includes movie and a beverage.

National & Global News

organicauthority.com - 7/26/16
...GMOs are strictly prohibited in organic food, right? Well… the real answer is a bit more complicated than that. Suffice it to say, when you buy organic, you’re not necessarily always buying GMO-free.

reuters.com - 7/22/16
Monsanto expects Roundup Ready 2 Xtend soybeans, designed to tolerate applications of glyphosate and dicamba weed killers, to be planted on 15 million acres next spring and 55 million acres by 2019. The company is still waiting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to approve dicamba use on crops.

reuters.com - 7/26/16
South Korea rejected a shipment of Argentine feed wheat after finding unapproved strains of genetically modified organisms (GMO) in the cargo, the agriculture ministry said on Tuesday.

latimes.com - 7/22/16
“We’re trying to create our own non-GMO grain belt,” Weiser said recently on the 83-acre farm his family has owned and worked since 1982.

usda.gov - 7/25/16
U.S. soybeans, cotton and corn farmers have nearly universally adopted genetically engineered (GE) seeds in recent years, despite their typically higher prices.

Note: this GMO news update is only distributed once a week