The ultimate Monsanto Protection Act

Cassandra Lista

Dec 10, 2014, 12:44:18 PM12/10/14
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com
Tell Congress and the FDA to stop any efforts to undermine states' rights to label GMOs

[]

Don't let Monsanto and the GMA corrupt our democracy and kill GMO labeling!

Urgent action needed: Monsanto and the Grocery Manufacturers Association are desperate to kill GMO labeling and now have a bill in Congress to violate states' rights - Help stop the Ultimate Monsanto Protection Act!

Dear Friends,

Right now, the recount in Oregon is winding down. Just yesterday an Oregon judge threw out a last minute appeal to count 4,600 votes that were possibly illegally thrown out due to signature mismatches, which could have made the difference for Yes on 92. This is incredibly disappointing, but today we need your help to make sure all the gains we’ve made as a movement in the past three years aren’t undone by Monsanto’s minions in Congress.

Once again Monsanto and giant food companies are scheming behind the scenes to pass a bill in Congress that would kill mandatory GMO labeling efforts and replace it with a gutted version that will preempt states' rights and give the illusion of oversight.

Today, the House Energy & Commerce Committee is holding a hearing on H.R. 4432, which lead sponsors Representatives Mike Pomeo (R-KS) and G.K. Butterfield (D-NC) are calling this legislative travesty: the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2014.

Like last year’s Monsanto Protection Act, this bill has been cleverly crafted by Monsanto and biotech lobbyists to intentionally deceive members of Congress, the media and ultimately the American public in an effort to offer extra-legal protection to Monsanto and permanently hide the fact that GMOs are in 75% of the processed foods sold in grocery stores in America.

Tell Congress and FDA: Don't betray the American public on GMO labeling. Demand mandatory labeling of genetically engineered foods and don’t let Congress destroy our only hope of protecting our families, our farms and our food from untested and unlabeled GMO food. Every voice counts.

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_HR_4432_the_Ultimate_Monsanto_Protection_Act/?t=8&akid=1455.86903.Bs8jFZ

At Food Democracy Now!, we’ve been warning you about this for more than a year. The more success that we have as a movement in our fight to label genetically engineered foods, the more that Monsanto and the food manufacturers will strike back with devious ways to undermine our most basic democratic rights.

Last year, when no one was looking, Congress passed the Monsanto Protection Act, now Representative Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.), a darling of the Koch brothers, is working to pass the Ultimate Monsanto Protection Act in DC that will kill any effort to win mandatory GMO labeling here in the U.S. This is outrageous and must be stopped!

If allowed to pass, H.R. 4432 would permanently outlawing the FDA's ability to require mandatory labeling and honest transparency to the American public about genentically engineered foods.

What H.R. 4432, the Ultimate Monsanto Protection Act, will do:
  • Preempt states from requiring labeling of genetically engineered food;
  • Prevent FDA from requiring GMO labeling;
  • Allow “natural” foods to contain genetically engineered ingredients;
  • Creates a new GMO “review” system based on industry science, impossible deadlines, and loopholes for certain food additives and animals fed conventional food.

If passed, H.R. 4432 will strip your state of the right to pass a GMO labeling law.

Today, the Ultimate Monsanto Protectection Act will have its first hearing on Capitol Hill, on December 10, and Congress needs to hear your voice loud and clear!

Tell Congress and the FDA: it’s time to pass a strong mandatory GMO labeling bill in the U.S. to protect consumers and uphold our basic democratic rights. Every voice counts!

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/stop_HR_4432_the_Ultimate_Monsanto_Protection_Act/?t=11&akid=1455.86903.Bs8jFZ

Click here to watch the hearing for H.R. 4432, The Ultimate Monsanto Protection Act!

"Examining FDA's Role in the Regulation of Genetically Modified Food Ingredients", House Energy and Commerce Committee, Health

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/go/1365?t=15&akid=1455.86903.Bs8jFZ

After three years of building a powerful national movement for GMO labeling, Monsanto and the opposition are getting desperate to stop our momentum. They know they can't keep fighting us state by state, so they're trying pass a bill that would violate state's rights just to protect their toxic profits.

Now, the dirtiest names in the chemical and junk food industries have joined forces with the Koch brothers’ favorite Congressman, Mike Pompeo of Kansas, whose bill will make it illegal for states to pass mandatory GMO labeling bills! Instead, Pompeo’s bill calls for “voluntary” labeling standards that would prevent the FDA from ever requiring real GMO labeling.

We can't let them get away with them violating our most basic rights and corrupting our democracy in the process. Take a stand for GMO labeling today!

Remember, democracy is like a muscle, either use it or lose it!

Thanks for participating in food democracy,

Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team
[]

You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.