Signature needed: No cancer-causing trans fats in food

1 view

Cassandra Lista

Aug 15, 2015, 12:19:52 PM8/15/15
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com
CREDO action
Tell the FDA: Keep deadly trans fats out of our food

The petition to the Food and Drug Administration reads:
"According to numerous scientific studies and your own recent ruling, trans fat consumption is extremely harmful to human health. Do not approve trans fat exemptions for processed food companies."

Add your name:
Sign the petition â–º

Dear Friends,
[]

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently took action to prevent thousands of heart attacks each year by forcing food manufacturers to phase out dangerous trans fats from processed foods.1

But now the Grocery Manufacturers Association, the massive lobbying arm for junk food companies across the country, is pressuring the FDA for a waiver to allow small amounts of trans fat back in their already unhealthy processed foods.2

We cannot allow the junk food industry to bully the FDA into allowing them to keep adding artery-clogging trans fat to our foods. We must take action now to prevent Big Food’s big money push to overturn the FDA’s attempts to protect Americans’ health.

Tell the FDA: No trans fat exceptions for processed food companies. Click here to sign the petition.

While trans fats are found naturally in some meat and dairy, the trans fats used by food manufacturers are inexpensive artificial fats commonly labeled as “partially hydrogenated oils.†They are found in everything from Burger King Whoppers to crackers, microwave popcorn, and French fries.

The evidence is clear that trans fats, even in small amounts, are extremely dangerous to consume. Two decades of research have linked artificial trans fats consumption to otherwise preventable diseases including high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer.3

Several European countries and New York City have banned trans fats in certain foods, and even some fast food chains, including McDonald’s, have followed suit and have committed to removing deadly trans fat from their restaurants.

If the junk food industry is allowed to use its lobbying money and power to chip away at these moves to phase out trans fats, it’s just a matter of time before Big Food attempts to roll back regulations to allow other dangerous additives, chemicals, and substances back into our foods.

Tell the FDA: No trans fat exceptions for processed food companies. Click the link below to sign the petition:

http://act.credoaction.com/sign/fda_trans_fat?t=6&akid=15291.254329.Z-u-6g

Thanks for all you do to keep our food safe.

Josh Nelson, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working Assets

Add your name:
Sign the petition â–º