Consumer Reports Greener Choices

Cassandra Lista

Feb 24, 2015, 7:14:19 PM2/24/15
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com
If you are having trouble viewing images, click here.
ConsumerReports(R)
[]  []
Greener Choices
February 2015
Share: [] Facebook Twitter Forward
CR Scientists Publish Paper on Soda Risks
CR Scientists Publish Paper on Soda Risks
As a follow-up to its 2014 article on the dangers of 4-MeI, a potential carcinogen in soft drinks, Consumer Reports scientists co-authored a paper in the journal PLOS One. The chemical 4-MeI is in some caramel colors, which give sodas their brown hue. The study includes an analysis of national soda consumption data, which shows that contrary to the arguments of some beverage makers, more than half of consumers (ages 16-44) drink at least a can or more on a typical day. This finding could have implications for California's Proposition 65 law, which requires any food or beverage sold in the state that exceeds established limits for 4-MeI to carry a health-warning label.
Read more
A healthier food production system is better for everyone.
Support Us. Fight for a safer and more sustainable food supply.
GMO Labeling Bill Reintroduced in Congress
[]
GMO Labeling Bill Reintroduced in Congress
Earlier this month, Senator Barbara Boxer and Congressman Peter DeFazio reintroduced the Genetically Engineered Food Right-to-Know Act, which would require the labeling of GMO foods. The bill would also prohibit the "natural" label on foods containing genetically engineered ingredients. Over 100 non-profit organizations and businesses have endorsed the bill.
Read more
New film explores antibiotic resistance
[]
New film explores antibiotic resistance
The growing flood of antibiotic resistant infections is a health crisis of global proportions. Find out how this happened and what we can do to turn the tide on February 20, when the documentary Resistance is released on iTunes, Amazon and other platforms such as Xbox Video and Google Play.
More info at resistancethefilm.com
San Diego: Make your voice heard for organic integrity
[]
San Diego: Make your voice heard for organic integrity
If you live in the San Diego area and are passionate about organic food, it's your opportunity to participate in making sure that our organic standards get even stronger! The next National Organic Standards Board meeting will be held in La Jolla on April 27-30. You'll have the opportunity to give a short public comment (we'll demystify the issues for you beforehand to make it easy to comment).
Interested? E-mail us: lab...@cr.consumer.org
1 out of 6 people are sickened every year by foodborne illness.
Please join our efforts to raise $10 million to make our food safer.
This e-mail was sent to you by ConsumerReports.org. To ensure our e-mails are delivered directly to your inbox, please add newsl...@email.consumerreports.org to your address book!

If you would like to share this e-mail with a friend, please
click here.

Please note: This e-mail was sent from an automated address that cannot reply to incoming e-mail, including customer service inquiries. For faster service, simply choose the appropriate help topic.

Copyright © 2003-2015 by Consumers Union of United States, Inc., 101 Truman Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10703, a nonprofit organization. No downloading, transmission, photocopying, or commercial use permitted. Visit www.GreenerChoices.org.