Jeffrey Smith's Interview With Vermont GMO Labeling Heroes

Emerald

Sep 16, 2014, 4:15:31 AM9/16/14
to OSC GMO Googlegroup

 Video Interview

Dear Emerald,

Please Watch My Interview with Vermont’s GMO Labeling Heroes, Sen. Zuckerman and Rep. Partridge

Help me celebrate two of Vermont’s heroes who were instrumental in passing the nation’s first unrestricted mandatory labeling bill for GMOs. Senator David Zuckerman and Representative Carolyn Partridge describe the amazing efforts, which spanned more than a decade, resulting in this unprecedented, game-changing new law. They also describe what you can do to help their state with the expected legal challenge by big biotech and/or the Grocery Manufacturers Association.

Here’s the quick facts:

1. Starting July 1, 2016, products sold in Vermont that contain more than 0.9% GMO content contamination will require a statement on the label indicating that genetic engineering was used.
2. Products that contain GMOs and are labeled can NOT also label their products as “natural.”
3. The bill does not apply to labels for milk, eggs, and meat from animals fed GMOs.
4. Unlike the bills passed in Connecticut and Maine, Vermont’s bill does not require other states to pass similar legislation before it is enacted.
5. Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin signed the bill into law on Wednesday, April 23, 2014.

Please applaud…

Safe eating.

Watch My Interview with Vermont’s GMO Labeling Heroes, Sen. Zuckerman and Rep. Partridge

Jeffrey Smith
Executive Director
Institute for Responsible Technology