OSC GMO Campaign Meeting Notes, 6-27-16 (Public version)

Emerald

Jul 7, 2016, 6:11:28 AM7/7/16
to OSC GMO Googlegroup

OSC GMO

​ ​
Campaign ​Meeting Notes, 6-27-16

4 people attended

​ including 1 newcomer​

Reports Back

​1)​
; Attended Guerneville parade, marched for GMO
​F​
ree Sonoma County.

​2)​
; Also, marched in parade. Attended South County Democratic party event and passed out fliers at Marin/Sonoma fair. Working on Citizens for Healthy Farms and Families campaign. CHFF has new fliers and poster. Will get them to
​flyer posting team​
to post.
​GMO Free​
is very glad to have our support and likes everything we offered to do. We need to plan a time to do a fundraising phone bank at the PJC to help kick-off the campaign. March with us July 4th in Sonoma.

GMO Free Sonoma County Campaign: Bring up at next Monthly Meeting, putting poster/flier on our website/Face

​b​
ook.
​They have​
links to log into our media section of website to use our press list
​ ​
(cut and paste email list, set up into an email and public server). Use up to date announcement list.

​3)​
; Working with Fossil Free California; stopping teachers, (Calsters) investing in fossil fuels. Going to Sacramento, data entry to teachers. State Assembly Bill Disclosure Act; testified briefly, turned in over 8700 signatures. Suggest creating flier about glyphosate testing; including mothers milk documentation. Can have glyphosate blood test for $150.00. May find whole campaign about mother and baby at Organic Consumers Association or Center for Food Safety. Look for to print.

​4)​
; Promoted MAM evaluation meeting. Contacted teach-in presenters.  Planning large mailing for Progressive Festival (we have 1400 individuals on our mailing list). Taqueria letter written on Titanpad.
​Originally​
proposed that we do a mailing to taquerias but
​that person​
is no
​ longer​
here to make that happen. Someone will have to initiate this project to follow through on
​that​
letter.
​Someone​
wrote a version of the letter to print out for people to take from our tabling literature to send to their own taquerias. W
​e w​
ill print out letter to pass out at Progressive Festival.

GMO News: Vermont labeling law killed by Obama's new law; companies don't have to tell us what is in their foods.

Maryland banned neonicotinoids

​ for consumer use but not farmers​
.

Del Monte has gone non-GMO and stopped using BPA in cans.
Campbells and General Mills stock is go up since labeling non-GMO.
Nestle is jumping on the non-GMO labeling bandwagon, too.

AGENDA

MAM Evaluation

​(Positive / To Be Improved)

Flyer: Liked little girl on flier. / Need to create card-stock slick promo for next year’s MAM.

​Press Release: Good press release
​.​

PSA: /Don't know if radio stations ran it.
Set-up

​Set up crew​
worked very hard,
​PJC showed up huge. S​
everal people came early to help. / Some of us were late.
Lack of delegation and instructions to others.

Publicity: Comprehensive publicity. / Need to discuss marketing and mobilization. Need strategy on how to get people to come.

Flyer Posting: /Need to decentralize flyer posting.

​Flyer posting team to​
meet and organize Adopt-a-Bulletin-Board Campaign.
Follow up to MAM re global events: Posted on Facebook. /
Suggest follow up look at worldwide events.
Location: Loved it. Want it there next year. Positive vibe. First MAM in Sebastopol.
Time: Good. Gave us more time to prepare. Better for night owls.
Route: Good. Good pace.
March: Much praise from attendees about our march.
​Someone​
stepped in and provided
​needed ​
leadership for the march.
​One of the monitors​
stepped in and organized the monitors and made armbands.
​Traffic monitor​
directed traffic great.
​Someone​
helped. / We were running late. Banner was not in front. Second traffic monitor flaked (
​Two people were needed to​
direct the traffic). Monitor meeting didn’t happen because set up was late. Armbands and other items were forgotten at home.
​March leader​
did not agree to be a monitor but stepped in at the last minute.
Address empowerment in our group, identify issues.
Turn-out: Good, estimated 250 people. People enjoyed it.
Internal decision-making: Good process for rain plan.
​We​
found good rain locations. /
​M​
ake sure PJC doesn't have outstanding insurance expense.

Sound System: Good
Emceeing: Good emceeing. / Bucket donation as announced at the end. Better to collect donations right after the march.
Speakers: Good speakers; diverse topics. 5 min. good limit. / Two speakers endorsed political candidates. Need to have a sign stating “OSC does not endorse political candidates”. Maybe have people sign an agreement beforehand that they won't do election campaigning.
​W​
ill ask speakers for written speeches to post on Facebook.

Singers: Good singers and Monsanto songs. There was time at the end of the rally for both singers to add a song. / One of those songs at the end was a Christian song - not appropriate for our rally.

Booth: Cold drinks pulled people in. Got people to sign our mailing list. / Need people to take sign-up sheet into crowd. Better to have one big booth for plants and info. Need electronic sign-up option. Too many sign-ups are still illegible. Ask for unwanted tablet on Facebook.

Remaining evaluation items tabled until next GMO Campaign meeting July 25.

Meeting ended at 9:30 PM