You could win GMO labeling in Oregon

Cassandra Lista

Oct 27, 2014, 5:36:17 PM10/27/14
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com
Help win GMO labeling in Oregon.
Sign Up

Hi Friends,

Last year, Monsanto, Dow Chemical and other special interests defeated -- by an achingly small margin -- an initiative in Washington state to label genetically engineered food. The main reason? Many supporters of the initiative simply did not vote.

Please, let's make sure that doesn't happen this year in Oregon.

Our PIRG colleagues in Oregon report that they're seeing an amazing outpouring of grassroots support and energy to pass Measure 92, their ballot measure to label GMOs.[1] Thousands of volunteers are knocking on doors and making phone calls.

But the opposition is flooding Oregon's airwaves with misleading propaganda, so every single conversation they have between now and November 4th will be the difference between winning and losing. That's where you come in.

Sign up now to help call Oregon voters and remind them to cast their ballots for Measure 92 this November.

Studies show that a personal phone call from one voter to another boosts voter turnout, even if they don't know each other.[2] With GMO labeling in Oregon likely to come down to just a few thousand votes, your phone calls could literally shape the outcome of this campaign. And if we want to build momentum for GMO labeling in this country, we need Oregon's measure to pass.

I can say from experience that it would be heartbreaking to wake up on November 5th knowing that we could have won if only a few more voters had shown up. Giving just three hours of your time can make sure that every single supporter casts their ballot.

Please sign up to call Oregon voters and ensure they pass Measure 92.

Thanks for your support,

Emily Rusch
CALPIRG State Director

[1] Read the full text of Oregon's Measure 92.
[2] Institution for Social and Policy Studies, Yale University.

Paid for by OSPIRG Action.