Tell Costco to say NO to Frankenfish

Cassandra Lista

Jun 22, 2015, 5:05:54 PM6/22/15
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com

Tell the Costco to Say No Way to GMO salmon!

[]

Tell Costco that you won't eat GMO salmon!

Dear Friends,

Do you want to eat genetically engineered salmon? Neither do we! But Costco refuses to say they won’t sell it in their stores.

Costco is one of the largest retailers of salmon and seafood in the US and is one of the last large retailers that hasn’t yet made a commitment to not sell GMO salmon.

Tell Costco to say NO to GMO salmon, and you won't shop there unless they do! Every voice counts!

In an alarming update, last month, the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans released a never-before-seen review of AquaBounty’s GMO salmon that detailed real scientific concerns about the safety of GMO salmon, which would be the first genetically engineered animal approved for human consumption.

According to Canada’s scientific review, AquaBounty’s GMO salmon are MORE susceptible to disease than non-GMO salmon and have “dramatically diminished growth rates in AquaBounty’s commercial facilities”. This new scientific data suggests that the growth-hormone gene inserted in the fish is not operating in a predictable manner, which raises serious questions about the long-term safety and human health implications of consuming GMO salmon.

The FDA could approve the GE salmon any day now, and FDA has said it will probably not require labeling, so consumers will not know how to avoid this risky, unnecessary fish. As of now, the FDA has ignored the 1.8 million comments from the public and scientists pointing to environmental and health risks, and this “frankenfish” could end up on your dinner plate. We need to speak up right now for our right to choose what foods we feed our families.

This is alarming! Tell Costco to listen to what its customers want. It’s time to join its competitors and just say no to GMO salmon.

Already, more than 60 other grocery retailers across the U.S., including the #1 and #2 grocers, Kroger and Safeway, have committed to not sell this unnecessary, risky, unlabeled GMO salmon, should it be approved. This campaign is building momentum, and you can make a difference!

Genetically engineered salmon could devastate wild salmon and fishing communities on both coasts if the FDA approves genetically engineered salmon. But, with your help, ensure that stores like Costco join other grocery leaders in not selling this poorly tested and unlabeled GMO fish and other seafood, and also keep out the dozens of other genetically engineered animals, like chickens and cows, in the pipeline which could enter our food supply.

Help us send a strong message to the CEO of Costco that you don’t want to see GMO salmon on their shelves.

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/tell_Costco_to_ban_GMO_Salmon_now/?t=8&akid=1586.86903.HlQx9K

Remember, democracy is like a muscle, either you use it or you lose it!

Thanks for participating in food democracy,

Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team