The Emperor Has No Clothes, and Neither Do Monsanto's 'Scientists'

Cassandra Lista

Oct 9, 2015, 4:52:39 PM10/9/15
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com

ESSAY OF THE WEEK

Exposed!

The Monsanto public relations machine has done a stellar job in recent years of reducing the GMO debate to one that pits “pro-science advocates” against “anti-science climate-denier types”­with Monsanto portrayed as being squarely planted in the pro-science camp.

But that well-oiled machine may be starting to sputter.

Turns out that a Monsanto executive solicited pro-GMO articles from university researchers, and passed the “research” off as independent science which the biotech giant then used to prop up its image and further its agenda.

We know this, thanks to thousands of pages of emails obtained by US Right to Know, under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). And because a host of news outlets­including the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Bloomberg, the StarPhoenix and others­are now running with the story.

Read the essay

MILLIONS AGAINST MONSANTO

It's Your Turn!

It's Your Turn!

On October 7, about 125 Big Food and biotech company executives jetted in to Washington D.C., compliments of Monsanto and Big Food’s Coalition for Safe Affordable Food front group. They attended more than 140 meetings on Capitol Hill.

What was all the fuss about? Pressuring Congress to pass a law to prevent GMO foods from ever being labeled, or even tested.

Now, it’s our turn.

Can you come to Washington D.C. for three days of #foodjustice events focused on defeating H.R. 1599, Monsanto’s DARK­Deny Americans the Right to Know­Act?

Current plans include art-making, education workshops, marches and a potluck picnic.

We’ve also planned, along with Moms Across America and Truth in Labeling, our own lobbying day­October 16. We can’t provide jets, but we do offer round trip bus transportation from some northeastern states.

Please check the links below for information on how to join the lobbying team, where to find a bus, and a complete schedule for all three days.

To participate in the October 16 lobbying day email ale...@organicconsumers.org.

To buy a round trip bus ticket if you live in New Hampshire, Boston area, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware or Newark or Philadelphia areas email adie...@truthinlabelingcoalition.org

Find out what’s happening on all three days

RSVP for October 16-17 March Against Monsanto Events in D.C.

ACTION ALERT

Here's the Deal

Here's the Deal

It’s been nearly two and a half years since we first warned you about two secretly negotiated international trade deals and a plan, called “fast track” to ram these deals through Congress, without due process.

Last weekend (October 3, 2015), one of those deals­the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)­inched closer to reality as representatives from 11 nations, gathered in Atlanta, Ga., reached an agreement.

It’s not a done deal yet­it’s still just a bad deal. And it’s a big deal. Because you may think that you don’t have a stake in the TPP. But you do. We all do.

Congress will have 90 days to review the text and vote yes or no. Please urge your member of Congress to reject this anti-consumer, anti-environment, anti-fair trade deal.

TAKE ACTION: Tell Congress: Fair Deal or No Deal!

The Meat Industry Is Licking Its Chops Over Obama's Massive Trade Deal

Ten Reasons Why the TPP Must Be Defeated

GMO LABELING

95 State Lawmakers Say 'No' to DARK Act

95 State Lawmakers Say 'No' to DARK Act

GMO labeling is more than just a fad. Over the past several years, more than 70 bills have been introduced in more than 30 states, by state lawmakers who want GMO foods labeled.

Monsanto and Big Food, though they say they have nothing to hide, are intent in preventing or repealing those state laws­so they can continue to hide the fact that their products have been genetically engineered, or contain GMO ingredients.

This week (October 7, 2015), 95 state lawmakers from 21 states issued a joint letter asking Congress to reject H.R. 1599, Monsanto’s bill to preempt state and federal mandatory GMO labeling laws. (The bill passed the House on July 23).

In a press release, Maine Rep. Michelle Dunphy (D-Old Town), said:

“H.R. 1599 is being deceptively sold to Congress on the mistruth that it will address consumers’ concerns by establishing a uniform federal standard for GMO labeling. In fact, H.R. 1599 would preempt state and federal mandatory labeling laws and instead establish a voluntary, government-run program for labeling non-GMO foods. States have historically held the right to pass food safety and food labeling laws, and Congress should not undermine that right just to protect the biotech industry.”

In their joint letter, the lawmakers wrote:

HR 1599 would undermine the existing rights of states to pass food labeling laws; it would undermine the efforts of the thousands of people working to create basic transparency in food labels in their states; it would undermine the rights of consumers to basic information; and it would undermine the concept of a free market based on truth and transparency in labeling.

Read the letter from state lawmakers

Read the press release

SUPPORT THE OCA & OCF

Schadenfreude, Anyone?

Schadenfreude, Anyone?

The German language has some great words. One of them is schadenfreude, which means “deriving pleasure from someone else’s misfortune.”

We'd be lying if we said we weren't experiencing a bit of schadenfreude these days. Just this week, Monsanto released “disappointing” financial results, including the layoff of 2600 employees. Seems Monsanto’s key products fell to $598 million from $630 million. Sales at the company’s “agricultural productivity unit,” which includes Roundup, dropped to $1.1 billion from $1.25 billion in the quarter. And shareholders aren’t happy about Monsanto’s 4-percent drop in share price.

The news followed reports that two thirds of EU states have just said “no” to growing GMO crops.

And it’s not just Monsanto. Big Food is having a rough time of it, too. From this week’s headlines: “Could Blue Chip Kellogg Co. Be on the Brink Of Disaster?”

So while yes, we’re fighting for our lives in D.C., to keep Congress from handing Monsanto a big win on GMO labeling. And we still haven’t won the court battle over Vermont’s GMO labeling bill (though the latest court hearing sounded favorable), we’re also making some serious headway.

You may have noticed a wave of press coverage these past few weeks, exposing Monsanto’s collusion with university scientists. That news, which has caused Monsanto some serious grief, was generated by folks working on a project totally funded by OCA. Want to fund more work like this? Donate today to support the USRTK project. Thank you!

Donate to the Organic Consumers Association (tax-deductible, helps support our work on behalf of organic standards, fair trade and public education)

REGENERATION INTERNATIONAL

Save the Date

Save the Date

Live in the D.C. area? Planning to be in D.C. on October 15 – 17 for the #foodjustice events?

How about also joining us for the launch of a new project, Regeneration International, on Friday, October 16 at Restaurant Nora’s?

You're also invited to an international press conference, beginning at 9 a.m. at the National Press Club.

Regeneration International was co-founded by OCA International Director Ronnie Cummins, Vandana Shiva ( Navdanya), Hans Herren (Millennium Institute), Tom Newmark (The Carbon Underground), Andre Leu (IFOAM), Steve Rye (Mercola.com) and Renate Künast (German Parliament).

Regeneration International unites and mobilizes farmers, researchers, activists and consumers to create global awareness of the how regenerative agriculture can reverse climate change through carbon sequestration, improve human and environmental health, and provide long-term agricultural productivity and resilience for smallholder family farmers.
,
More about the Regeneration International press conference

RSVP for dinner at Restaurant Nora, founded by chef and author Nora Pouillon

VIDEO OF THE WEEK

We Can Cool the Planet

[]

From the “Coming Soon” department . . . a film that connects the dots between the industrial food system and global warming­and then explains how consumers, by the choices they make, can cool the planet.

The film will be launched on October 16, World Food Day, by GRAIN, is a small international non-profit that works to support small farmers and social movements in their struggles for community-controlled and biodiversity-based food systems.

Watch the trailer

LITTLE BYTES

Essential Reading for the Week

Little Bytes

Breaking: Monsanto Slashes Jobs as Confidence in Future of Company Is Shaken

What's Wrong With US Dietary Guidelines?

The Decline of 'Big Soda'

French Court Confirms Monsanto Liable in Chemical Poisoning Case

The Meat Industry Is Licking Its Chops Over Obama's Massive Trade Deal

Study Finds School Meals May Contain Unsafe Levels of BPA

Monsanto and Syngenta Tighten Stranglehold on Global Food Supply

  follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | OCA on Pinterest
Please forward this publication to family and friends, place it on web sites,
print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!

Organic Bytes is a publication of Organic Consumers Association

6771 South Silver Hill Drive - Finland, MN 55603 - Phone: 218-226-4164 - Fax: 218-353-7652
empowered by Salsa