GMO ​Campaign Meeting Notes 4/25/16

Emerald

May 2, 2016, 6:43:56 AM5/2/16
to OSC GMO Googlegroup

GMO Campaign Meeting Notes 4/25/16

7 people attended

Meeting started at 7:30

Reports Back:

1) Helped set-up and clean-up at Awards Event. Received award. Many compliments. Sold one box and have two ready to sell.

2) Great job on Gazette article- previous graphic rejected, got published with little girl graphic. Worked on signs for MAM. New photos on OSC web page of planter boxes- great pictures with flowers. Added information of MAM; public endorsements and their links,

3) Sent out information on Monsanto, part 2. Called  KOWS for media sets- no response. Found some bouncing and some new ones.

4) Started two eco-villages on land with fixer-uppers in Oregon. Practicing using no GMO's or poisons. A farmer running for 6th district assembly, a resistor, work on things with real impact. Go to ourgreenchallenge.org to endorse. Have paper with articles to hand out.

5) Worked on Award Event. Helping with GMO Free Sonoma County campaign; in Apple Blossom parade.

6) New person has joined our group and agrees to help us with Media and Publicity. Like s their writings in the Peace Press. Most of MAM related items are posted on line. Wrote presenter about a September teach-in. No response, will send again. Positive Images on calendar to call for November event. Will know more next week. Will send us all a copy of award speech.

Note: September 19 is confirmed for a teach-in on Music In The Social Change Movement and November 21 is confirmed for Transgender Awareness with Positive Images.

7) Hanging a lot of flyers. Doing PJC work. Helped out with Awards event. Have possible endorser for MAM. Action next Tuesday at Board of Supervisor meeting on police brutality. Will let us know the details.

AGENDA

Agenda writing:

  Look at notes from last meeting, (Monthly, GMOs, M & P), and previous agenda to determine what needs to be covered.

Talking Points:

  Top 5 decided on at last GMO meeting. Definition proposal on Titanpad - will send as email to listserv or look on Titanpad. Read all 13 points we came up with. Definition includes all talking points. W ill put it on our internal listserv. We will revisit these after MAM and clean it up.

Taqueria Letter Campaign: Tabled

MAM

  Who's doing what on big day? Need monitors to keep marchers on side-walks. Link to contact form listed on our website. Go thru last agenda. Listserv. Ninety people can post what they want. Sending out article bundles externally.

Press Release:

  Received one from MAM. Sent out to all. Much better written than last years. May leave as is and write a little preupt of ours. Go on Titan-pad and add yours, too. Recycled last years and sent out. No feed-back from group.

Note: the press release will be sent out to the press list on Monday after the meeting.   PSAs have been sent twice, English and Spanish.

Dry Erase Board:

  Media and Publicity; talk about at next M & P meeting.

  Permits; Only food vendor needs a permit to sell. Lydia's Kind Foods will be selling collard wraps, desserts, kale chips, and snacks. Will contact  us about permit.

  Costs; We need a budget. Have money for signs  we wants to make.

  Performers; Swami Beyondananda will MC and make fun and will determine line-up. Need stage manager. Song by about Monsanto. Hubbub Band will lead the march and perform when back at square. We could use another guitarist.

Vendors; Lydia's will arrange parking, electrical needs, and permit.

Route; Is set at 1 and 1/2 miles. Person at each intersection with walkie-talkies to control traffic.

Booths; May be a small number.

Plants; some small. some large : greens, cabbage and lettuce , 2 to 3 feet tall tomatoes, morning glory's(warn people about poisonous and will take over), lettuce, sunflowers, mystery plants.

Signs; Sign making party on May 16th at PJC. No materials left from last year. Forty signs in stock.  Someone will get erasers and other supplies for. Use cardboard from Peterson

​'​
s.

Outhouses; $100. to rent one. Ask for donate (we pay for transportation) from North Bay Corp., (do for free sometimes).

Endorsements; Shelton’s Natural Foods. S end out request letter again. Cloverdale for Bernie wants to. 20+

Speakers; Bilingual not happening. Sen d list of final speakers. Aiming for balance of gender, race and age diversity.

Sound System; Still need. Consider offer from PJC for $100. if can't find one. Consider developing our own, have two wireless mikes and amp.

Ice;  We have two large ice-chests, will figure out.

Chairs and Tables; We have. Will bring.

Canopies; 1 ours and 1 to borrow.

Banners;  Someone will handle. Bring canvas next meeting. Duct tape option if can't paint canvas. If painter falls thru, do on sign-day. May borrow banner from OGC.

Time and Schedule; covered

Location; done

Display; Two people get together and create. At our booth an educational display. Can use display boards from Dollar store.

Goals; covered

Fundraising; ongoing

Flyers; Put performers on. (Put out announcement on Facebook event page-update)

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1687679744786457/

Press Release; done

PSA; done

Translations; done

Interviews; Media spoke to follow up on

Media Contact; Media spoke

Prepare for Rain; Purchase ponchos and/or red umbrellas from Dollar store. Consider moving to indoor location. Any nearby places? May loose a lot of people. Come back to this discussion.

Mega phones; We have one. Buy five more for $13.each.  OGC agrees to buy three of the five and borrow back and forth with us.

Walkie-talkies; Looking for two that are missing. We have six, now.

Contact and Coordinate; complete

Water; Plaza has fountain. No need to bring.

Emergency Kit; Someone will put one together, spending up to $30.

Events to Flyer; Go to events and hand out.  2 people will flyer at May Day in Roseland. Also, one in Napa on May Day. Attend other meetings and events, encourage people to come.

Chants; Covered

Stage Manager; go between, keep smooth. Give thought to doing, or who good at.

Tasks on Day; Consider what you want to do and will be good at.

Monitors; Will ask groups who endorsed us. Keep on sidewalks, friendly, smiling people. No bad vibes

Traffic & Sidewalk Restrictions; W rite up rules that monitor s need to know. Ask endorsers to monitor.

Note: monitors are still needed!

Candidates; OSC has a policy not to endorse political candidates. Discussed and agreed to have Swami introduce how  they want, stating that OSC doesn't endorse political candidates. Understanding, they not talk about candidacy but climate change.

Ended at 10:30