Reject the attack on GMO labeling

Cassandra Lista

Aug 25, 2014, 5:33:19 PM8/25/14
to occupy-sonoma-co...@googlegroups.com

CREDO action
Organic producers: Stop funding the outrageous anti-GMO labeling lawsuit.

Sign the petition to Stonyfield Farms, Organic Valley, Aurora Organic, and Horizon Organic:
"As a member of the International Dairy Foods Association, you are funding a special interest lawsuit to bring down Vermont’s first-in-the-nation GMO labeling law and keep people in the dark about what's in our food. Stop funding this shameful lawsuit and drop your membership in the IDFA immediately."

Add your name:
Sign the petition â–º

Dear Cassandra,
Tell organic dairy producers to end their support of the Vermon

This May, Vermont passed a historic GMO labeling bill into law, setting the stage for states across the country to follow suit and protect our right to know what's in our food.

But now the law is under attack from the unlikeliest of places. Four of the country’s largest organic dairy producers are helping to fund a shameful industry-led lawsuit to overturn Vermont’s landmark law and keep people in the dark about what we're eating.1

Stonyfield Farms, Organic Valley, Aurora Organic, and Horizon Organic all belong to the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) which has joined the Grocery Manufacturers Association’s deep-pocketed lawsuit against the state of Vermont.

These organic companies’ continued membership and financial support of the IDFA directly fund this misguided lawsuit. We must pressure these companies to end their membership in the IDFA and stand with consumers, not anti-GMO labeling special interests.

Sign the petition: Urge Stonyfield Farms, Organic Valley, Aurora Organic, and Horizon Organic to stop funding the attack on GMO labeling.

If this lawsuit to invalidate Vermont’s first-in-the-nation GMO labeling law is successful, it will set a dangerous precedent for GMO labeling laws across the country.

Not only will other states with pending legislation see their efforts stalled by more special interest lawsuits, but any chance for a national GMO labeling standard could be in jeopardy.

We'd expect large corporate food companies and their lobbyists to spend millions to take down the Vermont law, but not a handful of organic dairy producers.

By law, organic food must not contain genetically engineered ingredients, and some of these dairy companies publicly support GMO labeling. But if they are truly committed to producing organic food that their customers can trust, they must take a stand now by ending their association with the IDFA.

Sign the petition now and urge big organic dairy companies to stop funding the fight against GMO labeling.

Thanks for fighting for our right to know what's in our food.

Josh Nelson, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working Assets

Add your name:
Sign the petition â–º

1. OCA urges organic dairy industry to sever ties with IDFA, Dairy Reporter, August 5, 2014.

FB   Share on Facebook
Post to your wall

Tw   Tweet this
Post to Twitter