installation mess

Ashish Agarwal

Apr 26, 2012, 5:50:57 PM4/26/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
We are experiencing problems installing core because it depends on oasis-0.3 (not in godi), which depends on type-conv, which is in core. Looks like a circular dependency.

What is the plan for all the libraries embedded within core, e.g. type-conv, sexplib, etc. Are the copies within core meant to be the master versions of these? Will they ever be extracted out and distributed separately again? I hope so.

Yaron Minsky

Apr 26, 2012, 6:22:15 PM4/26/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the copies in Core are intended to be the master copies. That
said, we are happy to also distribute them as separate tarballs.
Right now, Markus' versions of typeconv and sexplib and such are a bit
ahead of ours, but we hope to resolve that soon.

In any case, we expect to put out release tarballs soon, which will
not require Oasis at all to build. That should simplify matters
considerably.

Sorry that this has been so painful. We'll try to clean this story up
entirely in the next few weeks.

Ashish Agarwal

Apr 26, 2012, 6:48:34 PM4/26/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Okay, so the source code of all sub-libraries will remain in the core repository, but several packages for distribution will be generated from this repo. I suppose that's fine. I was worried about there being multiple inconsistent versions of libraries floating around.

I'm looking forward to a release! We're in a jam now and doing some ugly hacking just to compile multiple production libraries.

Yaron Minsky

Apr 27, 2012, 6:05:44 AM4/27/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Ashish Agarwal <agarw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, so the source code of all sub-libraries will remain in the core
> repository, but several packages for distribution will be generated from
> this repo. I suppose that's fine. I was worried about there being multiple
> inconsistent versions of libraries floating around.

Yeah. We're behind on merging in Markus' latest work, which is the
only reason there are multiple versions right now. Doing the merging
in of changes from the external repo turned out to be more challenging
to automate than we expected, and that has set us back.

But that will resolve soon I expect.

> I'm looking forward to a release! We're in a jam now and doing some ugly
> hacking just to compile multiple production libraries.

Indeed! My apologies for the pain.

David Ziman

Aug 10, 2012, 11:05:29 PM8/10/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
I pulled down changeset 139:8808e3a2571f . It appears that oasis is still a dependency for type-conv. Is there an ETA on this fix?

Sylvain Le Gall

Aug 17, 2012, 4:45:25 AM8/17/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

2012/8/11 David Ziman <nin...@gmail.com>:
> I pulled down changeset 139:8808e3a2571f . It appears that oasis is still a
> dependency for type-conv. Is there an ETA on this fix?

<With my OASIS upstream author hat>

I start to be a little bit concerned of this situation. I think I
should get rid of type-conv dependency. I would have preferred to keep
ocaml-data-notation depends on type-conv but it makes things more
complicated than needed (although, this only happens in the the dev
version of ocaml-core).

Can type-conv people help me to migrate away from type-conv ? (ok
this look like a weird request, but I think it will help everyone).

Regards
Sylvain

Anil Madhavapeddy

Aug 17, 2012, 1:22:44 PM8/17/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Gazagnaire
This isn't a big deal if you install the released version of core. I use
OPAM for this day-to-day now. Grab the latest OPAM from:

http://github.com/OCamlPro/opam (I just use HEAD)

$ opam init
$ opam install oasis core
$ eval `opam config -env`

The last step will import the environment variables for the OPAM-installed
ocamlfind. You then have a working OASIS-0.3 and Core, from which you can
regenerate the files in the dev repositories.

I believe Thomas is working on the last patchset for a feature addition
before OPAM can be declared beta, but I find it useful already.

-anil

Yaron Minsky

Aug 17, 2012, 4:40:56 PM8/17/12
to ocaml...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually confused by the question. Oasis is indeed a dependency
for the dev version of type-conv. If you grab a tarball and install,
there's no dependency, but the dev version requires it. Why is this a
problem, i.e., why not just install Oasis?

There is the circularity issue that Sylvain mentions. But I dealt
with that by: installing type-conv from the tarball; building and
installing oasis; and then building and installing the dev-version of
type-conv and the rest of core. It's slightly awkward, but not
terrible.