Current Book Status

Avdi Grimm

Jan 19, 2012, 12:56:10 PM1/19/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
This is a sticky post which I'll update with current information about the status of the book.

Current version: 0.0.3

Avdi Grimm

Feb 6, 2012, 5:22:34 PM2/6/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Current version is now: 0.0.6

Andrew Premdas

Feb 7, 2012, 12:10:16 AM2/7/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
On 6 February 2012 22:22, Avdi Grimm <avdi....@gmail.com> wrote:
Current version is now: 0.0.6

As the book gets updated, its easy to miss important additions. I just discovered the lone wolf section when going back from where I'm currently working, which has great insight. Could there be  a more effective way to highlight such changes for each new release. Perhaps publishing a diff of the text between versions as part of the release process

All best

Andrew

--
------------------------
Andrew Premdas

Brian Jolly

Feb 7, 2012, 10:41:49 AM2/7/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com

A git repo would be awesome.

Nathaniel Bibler

Feb 7, 2012, 10:45:57 AM2/7/12
to Objects on Rails
A repo would be nice, but it goes against the "only paid users get
access until release" issue. Unless it's a private repo, and then
Avdi has to manage user access, and if it's on GitHub it'll get
prohibitively expensive, etc.

In the short term, it's an HTML document. You could just do a *nix
`diff` to see the diffs in the .html file, or even just paste it into
a private gist and see it change overtime.

Kerry Buckley

Feb 7, 2012, 10:52:56 AM2/7/12
On 7 Feb 2012, at 15:45, Nathaniel Bibler wrote:

In the short term, it's an HTML document.  You could just do a *nix
`diff` to see the diffs in the .html file, or even just paste it into
a private gist and see it change overtime.

If you want to generate a slightly fancier diff, this might help:

Kerry

Avdi Grimm

Feb 7, 2012, 10:54:55 AM2/7/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com

Indeed. Some folks on the list may recall when there was a giant gap in updates as I tried to work on tooling. This is exactly what I was working on. I'm actually a lot of the way there, but I just couldn't justify putting off content updates any longer. Believe me, both text diffs and report access are on my TODO list.

ShipRise Assistant

Feb 13, 2012, 12:47:43 PM2/13/12
to Objects on Rails
**Current book version 0.0.7

Added "Toward self-rendering objects" chapter.

ShipRise Assistant

Feb 14, 2012, 11:45:56 AM2/14/12
to Objects on Rails
**Current Book Version 8

Added summary chapter.
Opened up exhibit section with the ending view template code.
Added some more book references.
Changed TagList to correctly remove mixed-case duplicates.
Changed save(args) to save()
Explained except(:limit).
Added chapter "Jealously guarding collections"

Sammy Larbi

Feb 14, 2012, 11:47:50 AM2/14/12

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM, ShipRise Assistant <assi...@shiprise.net> wrote:

Added chapter "Jealously guarding collections"

I haven't read it yet, but based on the name, I think I'm going to like it. Good call on adding it.

Sam

Alexandre de Oliveira

Feb 14, 2012, 11:50:11 AM2/14/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see AR relegated to a persistence layer only, completely separated from the domain objects.

--Alexandre

Sammy Larbi

Feb 14, 2012, 11:57:16 AM2/14/12
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Alexandre de Oliveira <chaved...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd love to see AR relegated to a persistence layer only, completely separated from the domain objects.

--Alexandre

I would too, as it's something I'm playing with on my own right now.

On the other hand, I can't shake the feeling that it's kind of missing the point of Rails.

Sam

Avdi Grimm

Feb 14, 2012, 11:57:58 AM2/14/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
See the section on using ActiveRecord as a Row Data Gateway.
--
Avdi Grimm
http://avdi.org

I only check email twice a day. to reach me sooner, go to http://awayfind.com/avdi

Sammy Larbi

Feb 14, 2012, 12:12:43 PM2/14/12

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Avdi Grimm <av...@avdi.org> wrote:
See the section on using ActiveRecord as a Row Data Gateway.

Oh, thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that since the last time I read through.

Sam

ShipRise Assistant

Mar 8, 2012, 10:55:10 AM3/8/12
to Objects on Rails
**Current Book Version 9

Now with PDF, Epub, and Mobi formats!

Diego Scataglini

Mar 9, 2012, 9:11:17 AM3/9/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had a chance to look at recent changes, but I like how the
book looks as pdf/mobi
Diego Scataglini

Jeroen Wolff

Mar 15, 2012, 9:23:47 AM3/15/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Nice final release!
Thanks for the epub format, nice to read on iBook