Volunteers needed for FigLeaf and Exhibit gems

Avdi Grimm

Mar 20, 2012, 1:19:16 AM3/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
One of the things I've been planning on doing once the book was publicly released is to spin off some of the reusable bots of the codebase into gems. The book is out, so it's time to do that now.

Realistically, I know I won't have time to properly maintain them, so I'm writing to solicit some volunteers. The two main projects I want to spin off are:

  • FigLeaf
  • The Exhibit framework
Alex Peachey has said he'd be willing to help with Exhibit. And Sammy Larbi expressed interest in helping with FigLeaf. Would anyone else like to join them?

The requirements are simple:

  • Be interested. Concretely, this means that you've actually tried using FigLeaf or Exhibit in your own projects.
  • Be conservative. Anyone is welcome to build whatever they want on these ideas, but I'd like the "official" gems to remain relatively simple, focused, and true to the ideas expressed in the book.
If you're interested, let me know which project you're interested in, tell me a little about what you've done with it in your own projects, and give me your Github handle.

Also! The Exhibit gem will need a name. I'm not a big fan of projects which are named after the pattern they embody, because I think it leads to confusing an idea with a particular implementation.

As obvious a choice as it may be, I'm afraid the name "Exhibitionist" is right out. These days I'm trying to be a grown-up about my gem names :-)

I'll throw one out to get started: GlassCase.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Cheers,

--
Avdi

Sammy Larbi

Mar 20, 2012, 8:14:46 AM3/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
I like the GlassCase name.

As an alternative: "YoDawg" (Playing off the xzibit meme)

I'd also be willing to help with Exhibit in addition to FigLeaf. I love both ideas.

How do you want to organize the code? Is it worth setting up an org on github for OOR?

Sam

Patrick Mulder

Mar 20, 2012, 9:39:26 AM3/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have slightly touched the Exhibit pattern in your book, as I am
working with JSON too in "side-projects" next to my job. I only have
been doing Rails-fulltime development since 7 months, but the code
bases I am working with are around 70k-160k LOC. With my
side-projects, I am not yet very far, but it's mainly 2 ideas that I
am working on:

- https://github.com/mulderp/Backbone-on-Rails-todoDemo -> The idea
is to apply the Backbone-MVC to a standard Rails app, where
controllers respond mainly to/with JSON data. I have a variation for a
Blog application, and I am actually taking a lot of inspiration from
Avdi's examples (right now, mainly dependency injection)

- https://github.com/mulderp/streama_testapp -> The idea is to track
activities with help of the ActivityStreams specification and the
streama Gem . This could lead to a nice building block for different
web 2.0 ideas.

Related to contributing: I am mainly having some time to work on
tasks 2-3 times during the week in the evening, CET, and some hours in
the weekend. My contributions would target to help with conversation,
promoting, feedback and discussions on the Gem, and hopefully with
some useful specs and code too (where I would be happily learning from
your feedback).

My proposals for a name of the gem would be related to an
"exhibition", and these can take place in a "Gallery", in the "Louvre"
or in an "Aquarium" for waterworlds.

Let me know if you see some chance for collaboration!

Thanks in any case,

Patrick

.

Alex Peachey

Mar 20, 2012, 12:54:58 PM3/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
GlassCase isn't bad. Another along those lines might be DisplayCase or Showcase. Also while Exhibitionist is a little childish something like Exhibition might not be bad as we're creating an exhibition of exhibits. Curator would be nice but Braintree started a project with that name that separates persistance from domain logic.

Alex

Kevin Rutherford

Mar 20, 2012, 12:56:54 PM3/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
To my mind, an Exhibit sits inside a DisplayCase.
Which do we have here...?

--
http://www.kevinrutherford.co.uk
http://myonepage.com/kevinrutherford

Avdi Grimm

Mar 20, 2012, 12:57:11 PM3/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
All good suggestions! I may have to do a poll to help me decide...

--
Avdi Grimm
http://avdi.org

I only check email twice a day. to reach me sooner, go to
http://awayfind.com/avdi

Mark Wilden

Mar 21, 2012, 10:50:46 AM3/21/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
From the perspective of the museum programming world, I would call it DisplayCase.

///ark

Mark Wilden
Web Applications Developer
California Academy of Sciences

Guilherme Cirne

Apr 20, 2012, 9:30:25 AM4/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com
Has the work on implementing the exhibit pattern started?

I'm asking because I ran into this today: https://github.com/Najaf/exhibitionist

Cheers

Patrick Mulder

Apr 20, 2012, 1:44:13 PM4/20/12
to objects-...@googlegroups.com, objects-...@googlegroups.com
speaking for myself, I was quite busy with other thing. That first demo looks interesting. I am not sure how to exhibit JSON or use it to centralize if ... then variations for exhibition in different contexts. maybe I'll play with it in the weekend.