[ANN] Cappuccino 0.9.6-RC1

Alexander Ljungberg

Mar 26, 2012, 4:14:37 PM3/26/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Hello everyone,

We're going to start to prepare Cappuccino 0.9.6 for release. If you're using 0.9.5 and you feel adventurous, please give the v0.9.6 branch a shot and see if it works well for you.

This release will feature IE improvements, continued work on bindings, improvements to nib2cib, split view improvements, new CPGradient support and many other things. We'll have a more complete writeup for the final release but in the meantime all 237 commits can be found here: https://gist.github.com/2209000

To install Cappuccino 0.9.6-RC1:

If you are building from source:

    git clone git://github.com/cappuccino/cappuccino.git
    cd cappuccino
    git checkout v0.9.6-RC1
    jake install

If you do encounter any problems, please file a bug report or ask about it here in the mailing list.

Alexander

Rob Terrell

Apr 3, 2012, 10:01:29 AM4/3/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Feeling brave, I installed this yesterday. But now nib2cib no longer
works for me. It fails with "Could not compile file". Here's some
output:

rob$ nib2cib -v
nib2cib v0.9.6

Input : /Users/rob/Projects/mococapp_git/Resources/
MainMenu.xib
Output : /Users/rob/Projects/mococapp_git/Resources/
MainMenu.cib
Format : Auto
Application : /Users/rob/Projects/mococapp_git
Resources : /Users/rob/Projects/mococapp_git/Resources
Frameworks :
Default theme : Aristo
Extra themes :
Config file : /Users/rob/Projects/mococapp_git/Info.plist
System Font : 12px Arial, sans-serif

Auto-detected Cocoa Nib or Xib File
Converting Xib file to plist...
Could not compile file: /Users/rob/Projects/mococapp_git/Resources/
MainMenu.xib

Thanks,

-- Rob

Cesare Montresor

Apr 3, 2012, 10:09:18 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
HI Rob,
I'm a total beginner, so it might be wrong what I'm going to say, but you you should try Xcodecapp:

http://antoinemercadal.fr/xcodecappcocoa/

afaik, it does the job for you in a completely automated way.

let me know

Alexander Ljungberg

Apr 3, 2012, 10:35:28 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

And if you downgrade back to nib2cib from 0.9.5 it works on the same file?

Alexander

Rob Terrell

Apr 3, 2012, 10:14:07 AM4/3/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
On Apr 3, 10:09 am, Cesare Montresor <cesare.montre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> you should try Xcodecapp:
>
> http://antoinemercadal.fr/xcodecappcocoa/

Thanks, I do use Xcodecapp, but it was giving an error with every
save, so I tried nib2cib from the command line to see what was going
on. Error either way. Are you using 0.9.6 without a problem?

-- Rob

Rob Terrell

Apr 3, 2012, 10:29:13 AM4/3/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Thinking it might be my xib file, I tried a freshly generated project,
but got the same error:

rob$ capp gen --template NibApplication cappNineSixTest
Creating Frameworks directory in /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/
Frameworks...
Copying /usr/local/narwhal/packages/objective-j/Frameworks/Objective-J
==> /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Frameworks/Objective-J
Copying /usr/local/narwhal/packages/objective-j/Frameworks/Debug/
Objective-J ==> /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Frameworks/Debug/
Objective-J
Copying /usr/local/narwhal/packages/cappuccino/Frameworks/Foundation
==> /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Frameworks/Foundation
Copying /usr/local/narwhal/packages/cappuccino/Frameworks/Debug/
Foundation ==> /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Frameworks/Debug/
Foundation
Copying /usr/local/narwhal/packages/cappuccino/Frameworks/AppKit ==> /
Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Frameworks/AppKit
Copying /usr/local/narwhal/packages/cappuccino/Frameworks/Debug/AppKit
==> /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Frameworks/Debug/AppKit
rob-imac:Projects rob$ cd cappNineSixTest/
rob-imac:cappNineSixTest rob$ nib2cib
Could not compile file: /Users/rob/Projects/cappNineSixTest/Resources/
MainMenu.xib

Szabolcs

Apr 3, 2012, 10:58:21 AM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I had the same prob when I opened cappuccino and cocoa project in the same time. I ran Onyx then it was ok again till I haven't done it again... Try it might help I am still on 0.9.5
Szabolcs

Sent from my iPhone

Aparajita Fishman

Apr 3, 2012, 12:58:10 PM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
XcodeCapp is using nib2cib under the hood. Do nib2cib -v -v and it will give you more information on why it is failing.

> --

Regards,

Aparajita

rob

Apr 3, 2012, 3:19:29 PM4/3/12
to Cappuccino & Objective-J
Thanks for the tip! I tried -vvv but didn't get any more info on the
error, should have tried more than one -v.

In the meantime I reverted to 0.9.5 and had the same error. So I went
back to 0.9.6-RC1, did the git fetch/merge/jake clobber/jake install
dance, and now nib2cib works.

Thanks for the help!

-- Rob

Aparajita Fishman

Apr 3, 2012, 3:21:42 PM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
> Thanks for the tip! I tried -vvv but didn't get any more info on the
> error, should have tried more than one -v.

You have to use two separate -v arguments.

Regards,

Aparajita
Cappuccino Core Developer

Jeremy Savoy

Apr 3, 2012, 7:18:41 PM4/3/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I'm not seeing this behavior on my system, nib2cib and Xcodecapp seem to be working fine. Have you verified you're using the newly installed capp and nib2cib?

This is what I get:

$ capp --version
cappuccino 0.9.6 (2012-04-02 93cc97)

$ nib2cib --version
nib2cib v0.9.6

I installed via bootstrap but then ran jake install to build the entire environment.

Cesare Montresor

Apr 4, 2012, 5:56:03 AM4/4/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem nib2cib doesn't work and I also have a problem here... I guess:

capp --version
TypeError: 'undefined' is not an object

nib2cib --version
nib2cib v0.9.6

Cesare Montresor

Apr 5, 2012, 6:05:01 AM4/5/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I found the problem !
the mother of all the problems apparently is the /Developer directory, on my system was like this:

/Developer <- is where cappuccino is installed
/Developer-3.2.6 <- is where everything else is installed (I guess is like this since xcode 3.2.6)

by looking at /usr/local/narwhal/packages/cappuccino/lib/nib2cib/CommonJS.environment/nib2cib.sj
if(OS.popen(["/usr/bin/ibtool",_21,"--compile",_22]).wait()===1){
objj_msgSend(CPException,"raise:reason:",ConverterConversionException,"Could not compile file: "+_21);
}
"Could not compile file" error happen if /usr/bin/ibtool fails.
Try to run it in the terminal and see what error do you have.

the fix is something like this:
sudo mv /Developer/* /Developer-3.2.6/
sudo rmdir /Develoepr
sudo ln -s /Developer-3.2.6 /Developer

I hope it will work for you too.

Cheers,
Cesare

PS: i guess that the cappuccino installer should check what's the system Developer folder instead of using /Developer by default.

Alexander Ljungberg

Apr 5, 2012, 7:12:44 AM4/5/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

/Developer isn't used anywhere in Cappuccino. As you can see, the actual path is /usr/bin/ibtool. When you install Xcode 4.3 you need to use xcode-select to make sure these /usr/bin tools are made available.

Alexander

Cesare Montresor

Apr 5, 2012, 7:36:43 AM4/5/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
that's interesting, I've never done it ! ^_^

so, in case of the same error of mine it might be enough to run:
sudo /usr/bin/xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/

apparently now also the "nib2cib -v -v" command produce a verbose output !

thanks :)

Jeremy Savoy

Apr 5, 2012, 11:20:32 AM4/5/12
to objec...@googlegroups.com
What I did was just create a symbolic link for Xcode 4.3:

Developer -> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

so ...

#> ln - s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer /Developer

This was for another project altogether, but seems to have had an impact on many things.