Historical trends in GNU/Linux servers

Aaron Toponce

Mar 15, 2012, 9:32:33 AM3/15/12
to Ogden Area Linux Users Group
You may have already seen this if you read Planet Debian, but at any event,
this is worth sharing:

http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux

Essentially, Debian is on top as the most used GNU/Linux web server, with
Ubuntu rising fast. RHEL, Fedora and SUSE are all on the decline, with
CentOS holding steady.

Thought you might find it interesting.

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o

Brandon

Mar 15, 2012, 9:59:27 AM3/15/12
to oa...@googlegroups.com
On 03/15/2012 07:32 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> You may have already seen this if you read Planet Debian, but at any event,
> this is worth sharing:
>
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
>
> Essentially, Debian is on top as the most used GNU/Linux web server, with
> Ubuntu rising fast. RHEL, Fedora and SUSE are all on the decline, with
> CentOS holding steady.
>
> Thought you might find it interesting.

It would be interesting to know how they are gathering the statistics.
The guess is they are just polling what the HTTP server reports, which
is extremely subjective--and ignores massive swaths of private
non-internet accessible servers (such as at the CIA, DoD, and any
private corp). Those are the ones with massive RHEL and CentOS
proliferation.

Regardless, you should add up CentOS, RHEL and Fedora as one, since they
are effectively the same OS, leaving it around 51%. Even adding ubuntu
to debian gives that side of the linux camp 41% (long since diverged,
but...).

It is interesting, although not definitive.

Tristan Rhodes

Mar 15, 2012, 1:39:14 PM3/15/12
to oa...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was interesting that the only 2 distros with a significant trend are Ubuntu (going up) and Red Hat (going down).

Tristan