So who else is building a UAV in NYC?

Reversity

Apr 7, 2011, 9:15:06 PM4/7/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
I've just started my ArduCopter adventure, but would love to meet anyone else who is nearby and is building an UAV of their own..

Julian

Apr 18, 2011, 1:48:59 PM4/18/11
to NYC Area UAV Flyers
Yo, im Julian, a mechanical engineering student at Cooper Union. I
have a team of a few students who are close to completing our first
arducopter with plans to also move into the fixed wing realm of
aircraft in the near future.

Where are you located?

Julian Alvarez
2014 Mechanical Engineer
julian.6...@gmail.com
4076709547

Reversity

Apr 19, 2011, 9:02:52 AM4/19/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hey -

I'm in brooklyn and plan on testing out my arducopter in mccaren park in a few weeks when it is done (waiting on motors from china right now).

Glad to hear I am not the only one in the city.

dzhu630

Apr 23, 2011, 6:03:35 AM4/23/11
to NYC Area UAV Flyers
Hey, my name is Zhu

I live in in the Financial District. I'm a newbie, still undecided on
my first project.

Reversity

Apr 27, 2011, 11:54:35 PM4/27/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Finally have all my parts.  The build will be completed this weekend!

Julian Alvarez

Apr 28, 2011, 1:13:47 AM4/28/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com

Nice, the udt just got to the upload/tuning phase. Hopefully this isn't going to be too bad. Flight testing in a week, hopefully.

Jordan Harvey

Jun 24, 2011, 2:34:17 PM6/24/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I'm Jordan. Newbie as well.

I'm a Computer Graphics Artist with a passion for designing some high end conceptual products for UAV's. I'd love to get in touch with some people and see what we can't manufacture and produce. I think the ardu is a good starter project, but some of my concepts are implicating technologies in unison with UAV's.

Julian Alvarez

Jun 24, 2011, 2:38:33 PM6/24/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com

What's going on Jordan. Have you checked out the uavforge project darpa set up? It sets forth a pretty challenging set of requirements and I, along with a group of cooper union students, am in the process of coming up with some initial designs. I could forward you an early email I had thrown together that kinda explains what direction we're trying to approach if from. Lemme know!

Jason Loy

Jun 25, 2011, 6:17:29 PM6/25/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I'm Jason, I started a robotics Meetup Group out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn (http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Robotics/) and the first project we're working on is building a low-cost quadcopter that we'll use to program neat autonomous behavior. I'd love to meet up with some of you guys and see the work you've done and maybe pick your brains about design decisions- everyone in the group is a newbie to quadcopters. Or see if any of you are interested in helping to build a quadcopter from scratch (well, not entirely from scratch- no designing our own controller boards or winding our own motors). Just shoot me a message!

steve gottlieb

Jun 29, 2011, 7:11:38 PM6/29/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hey anyone on Long Island, just got package from cousin couldn't finish ......

 this is what i got

Jakubs fiberglass frame(new),Arducopter control (APM,IMU,GPS,Magnetometer),with latest updates,4 brand new Turnigy 2217/16 1050kv,2 Castle Phoenix 25 esc's (not shown).

Any in put??

Julian Alvarez

Jun 29, 2011, 7:18:13 PM6/29/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Yo Jason! names Julian, im a student at Cooper Union right now, and
actually just started an Unmanned Development Team there. Designed and
built our first quad this past semester, but it has yet to leave the
ground because of a dead gyroscope. Id be happy to meet with you when
im back in the city, im spending the summer down in florida.

--
Julian Alvarez
2014 ME

Julian Alvarez

Jun 29, 2011, 7:19:44 PM6/29/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steve! grab two more ESCs and youre in buisness

steve gottlieb

Jun 30, 2011, 12:00:06 AM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Julian can't seem to find setting for TX maybe you know were to search and email me link if and when you find. I'm using jr x9303 tx and 7ch rx I have no instructions to guide me .

Steve 516-587-2336

Reversity

Jun 30, 2011, 8:11:40 AM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Steve -

Have you checked out the wiki on the arducopter site - it has pretty easy to follow assembly instructions: http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/ArduCopter2Quick

Jason -

My quad is assembled but havent had time to fly yet.  Maybe we could meet up.  I'm in greenpoint.

Glad to see I'm not alone in this crazy venture.

Reversity

Jun 30, 2011, 8:12:53 AM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Jason -

Just followed your link and realized it's an Alpha One thing. I'm a member to, tho I'm seldom around.  Look forward to the next meetup.

steve gottlieb

Jun 30, 2011, 8:43:20 AM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Jason,

Thank you so much this is what I was searching for last night, I have no idea what a wiki was, pulled my hair out trying to find.

 Yes let me know when your in New York

--

P.S. if your looking for some cool electronics or tablets on the android network.... check out the link below
I have the m802 8" tab really responsive - cool size for $184 plus others, pass it along.

Steven

"Every idea seems a little CRAZY at first"

Jason Loy

Jun 30, 2011, 9:56:13 AM6/30/11
to NYC Area UAV Flyers
Julian,

Great! Shoot me an email when you're back in NYC and we'll have a
meetup.

Reversity,

Cool, I'm sure we've probably bumped into each other in the lab at
some point or another- I'm the guy building the rooftop garden if that
helps.
If you're free this Saturday morning, we have a meetup to start work
on building the quadcopter (half of it at least).
http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Robotics/events/23671071/

Jason

On Jun 30, 8:43 am, steve gottlieb <wiicanhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Thank you so much this is what I was searching for last night, I have no
> idea what a wiki was, pulled my hair out trying to find.
>
>  Yes let me know when your in New York
>
> Steve 516-587-2336
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Reversity <ash.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Steve -
>
> > Have you checked out the wiki on the arducopter site - it has pretty easy
> > to follow assembly instructions:
> >http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/ArduCopter2Quick
>
> > Jason -
>
> > My quad is assembled but havent had time to fly yet.  Maybe we could meet
> > up.  I'm in greenpoint.
>
> > Glad to see I'm not alone in this crazy venture.
>
> --
>
> *P.S.* if your looking for some cool electronics or tablets on the android
> network.... *check out the link below*

steve gottlieb

Jun 30, 2011, 10:13:53 AM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Julian, thanks for your help last night found what I was looking for as far as set up info, let me know wen your in NY

--

P.S. if your looking for some cool electronics or tablets on the android network.... check out the link below
I have the m802 8" tab really responsive - cool size for $184 plus others, pass it along.

Steven

Reversity

Jun 30, 2011, 6:53:46 PM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Cookl Jason -

I'm the lawyer guy,  If I'm around maybe I'll bring mine by.

steve gottlieb

Julian Alvarez

Jun 30, 2011, 7:58:05 PM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
No problem!

steve gottlieb

Jun 30, 2011, 9:35:13 PM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
what make speed control are you using with those TR2217/16 motors? You sad your using 30amp?

Julian Alvarez

Jun 30, 2011, 10:53:49 PM6/30/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
yeah i got the cheapest possible 30 amp controllers off of hobbyking.com

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 2, 2011, 9:14:12 PM7/2/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
hello fellow uav techs im in the eny part of brooklyn have anybody went to Floyd Bennett field ?or the baseball field across from path mark on flatlands? nice areas i would suggest to you gents for  august meetups (dunkin doughnuts just mins from locations) im working on prototypes for uav forge.net  darpa competition hope to fly soon just ordered the kk blackboard to finish the second uav

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 2, 2011, 9:24:37 PM7/2/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
im tijuan from east ny areas of brooklyn i design frames for tri,quad, copters looking for a code writer, and engineer as i seen in the blog here for a meetup to share the visions to see if we can colab as a new team to build special tri to quads and maybe make it a show with a few people i know to build for special purposes EX: fire dept ,police ,to military lets put our dreams together to make this a business you can see my first prototype on diy drones /skyknight010101

Julian Alvarez

Jul 9, 2011, 7:11:25 PM7/9/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
I just got my quad ready for its first flight, but i wont be in NY
until the 21st of August. Im also working on some initial conceptual
designs for the DARPA comp. requirements on that were pretty
interesting, forcing people to try and come up with some new stuff.
look forward to seeing what your take on it is.

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 10, 2011, 6:47:02 PM7/10/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
thats the name of the game but im just about finished and maybe a first vid of my prototype
of the kk blackboard after the charger comes in next week but what specialty are you best at ?im into airframe design (but with a twist) im entering maybe two entries but waiting on open pilot new release naviboard but thanks again for getting back to me

Julian Alvarez

Jul 11, 2011, 12:38:58 PM7/11/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Im into airframe design as well, im currently studying mechanical
engineering with intentions to further specify to Aerospace at the
graduate level. More so, im interested in multirole aircraft, further
complicating the balancing act thats associated with anything that
flies. Ive designed a total of about 4 fully functioning platforms, im
also on diydrones, just search julian alvarez. I dabbled in VTOL
flight for a couple of years, i did some stuff with fast response
uavs, this past semester i designed a quadrotor from scratch, machined
it, and is now finally ready fly. Now im focusing on the DARPA thing,
and i have my concept pretty well banged out at this point. Im in the
process of gathering a small team of students from Cooper Union mainly
to cover my deficiency in any sort of programming lol. Im assuming the
kk blackboard is only for your prototype? with the requirements set as
they are im expecting to use an ardupilot + a seperate image
processing board to get the processing power necessary to do what they
want us to do. One other thing puzzles me about the comp; since
everyone posts a video of their planned approach, couldnt some people
steal the general idea of what we're doing, and start developing using
the method we came up with?

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 6:47 PM, TIJUAN AIKENS

steve gottlieb

Jul 11, 2011, 10:05:34 PM7/11/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Julian, Have question, got my quad up and running my x configuration and blades clock and counter clock are correct for each motor, not sure if this sounds right spool up on grass 0 on mode switch is simple, I give left roll or cyclic and copter goes to right, did not take off. Do you think I have something reversed or is this normal? and need to just get her up? I plugged in in my house and then decided to go outside, did i need to unplug  battery and plug on grass?
first time ever flying a quad as I fly helicopters. I then did a flight test with blades off , my son says he hears a change in motors when I give inputs.
Where would I find information for setting up channel 6 which is camera control? did get it up about 8" just didn't feel right put it down. HELP PLEASE

Steve 516-587-2336 you can call if you like

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 11, 2011, 10:46:05 PM7/11/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Good thought I also too were thinking if this was a bunch of multi
hacking their bad idea that was a idea prototype and now needs some
new look to improve their look for the type of idea that will fail
(lmao) but abt the blackboard it's used to do this airframe testing
but can openpilot be used with ardupilot ? I do have it but I have ran
through so much investment for areoquad sensors to ardupilot to this
blackboard and last will be openpilot for my integration programmer
to setup for my second airframe I custom made for DARPA I'm following
the rules for size and setup and less computer and sensors the better
i seen your prototype (im trying to get away from that frame look so
you dont have to worry abt that you just do your best work to win when
i got hooked on that penn state professor quad rotor vid on youtube
with aggressive quadrotors i seen what he has been missing so im a
first time serious builder that cant get this wrong , and the concept
will have more apps than a fraction of the ppl that will use this i
will have a vid posted hoping sun when the tx, rx, charger, batt,
before the week is out but i will stay in touch

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 18, 2011, 11:44:23 AM7/18/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
What's good j ? You played with the blackboard? I had everything
connected right but I get 1 bluelight on the board that goes out and
no response from the control just a bunch of tweeting motors I
connected the esc to the rx and I get function control from the tx so
it can't be the motors or esc what am I looking at that I may have
looked over? Get at me buddy

Julian Alvarez

Jul 18, 2011, 2:38:17 PM7/18/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Yo. Ive never worked with the blackboard, so ive got no clue as to
what could be happening. Id just go through their wiki again, maybe
reset the board.

Williero

Jul 21, 2011, 12:48:31 PM7/21/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Helllloooo, I'm Will Roberts. kinda new to the community.

I'm a recent MFA Grad a 3D Artist passionate about Design, Animation, Simulation and 3D printing. As I'm still learning about the UAV community, I'd like to get in the loop and see how my skill set can be of assistance to anyone. Hopefully later on I can start building my own UAV's

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 21, 2011, 2:28:20 PM7/21/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome aboard will? you in the ny areas?

Williero

Jul 21, 2011, 4:37:02 PM7/21/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the welcoming. Yeah, I am in the NYC (Manhattan, Central Park North, Harlem area )

TIJUAN AIKENS

Jul 21, 2011, 8:26:56 PM7/21/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Let me know when you will like to have your Uav built or what ideas
you want to brainstorm on you project

Julian Alvarez

Jul 21, 2011, 9:35:50 PM7/21/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hows it going Williero, names Julian.

Im at the beginning of the DARPA UAV crowd sourcing project
(http://www.uavforge.net/) working on some early designs and trying to
get some things figured out with my "team" from Cooper Union. The
first part of the entry requires a short 60 second video/animation by
October explaining the concept and approach. If youd llike to help out
it would be greatly appreciated. Even if you dont, feel free to come
by sometime, we have a ACM quad we're testing right now and have this
other project coming down the pipes so itll hopefully be a big year.

Look forward to meeting you,

Julian Alvarez

Jul 24, 2011, 2:20:14 PM7/24/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
First flight, wahooooooo

http://vimeo.com/26811591

long way to go, though

steve gottlieb

Jul 24, 2011, 11:04:42 PM7/24/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
how did your fist flight go? got my sonar last Week haven't installed yet ,also putting led controlled by the on board relay.

Julian Alvarez

Jul 25, 2011, 11:08:15 AM7/25/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
it was a bit wobbly but after tuning it should be all good. i still
need to get telemetry to work and connect the sonar thats already
installed, but all in due time

steve gottlieb

Jul 25, 2011, 11:43:39 AM7/25/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
same here, had a small problem one motor tipped down or turned off, bullets seemed loose  only broke one prop.  It flew very good punching forward flight 20-30 ft then came back on front lawn, very stable.  Loaded new mission plainer and new code haven't flown was up state NY for week end. Will try this week. Going to Delaware Friday for heli fun fly camping out.

Steve
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG

TIJUAN AIKENS

Aug 19, 2011, 12:37:34 AM8/19/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
What's good j ? You on the way up ? Can't wait to hit some airstrips and to help me tune this machine and come up with some tricks for this entry

>> > --
>> >
>> > P.S. if your looking for some cool electronics or tablets on the android
>> > network.... check out the link below
>> > I have the m802 8" tab really responsive - cool size for $184 plus others,
>> > pass it along.
>> >
>> > Steven
>> >

>> > http://www.merimobiles.com/?Click=5414
>> >
>> > "Every idea seems a little CRAZY at first"
>> >

>> --
>> Julian Alvarez
>> 2014 ME
>> 407-670-9547 <tel:407-670-9547>

Julian Alvarez

Aug 19, 2011, 11:53:06 AM8/19/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Comin up on the 21st, pretty excited. Found out one of the ESC on my
quad is cooked, real bummer, but i already ordered another, so it
shouldnt be long before im back in the air.

michael

Sep 10, 2011, 8:35:42 PM9/10/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
I'm a newbie and don't mind joining someone working on an UAV  so I could learn. also if anyone is testing their UAV, he/she should invite me so I could get an idea of how to start me own project thanks

TIJUAN AIKENS

Sep 14, 2011, 3:31:34 PM9/14/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
hi Micheal are you in the brooklyn areas?im tijuan and i design uavs along with julian and will be happy to show the tough ropes of these machines to you

Michael Onyeri

Sep 14, 2011, 3:56:26 PM9/14/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
That will nice of you, let me know when you want us to meet.

Sent from my iPhone

jo

Nov 3, 2011, 5:07:26 PM11/3/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I am new to UAV's as well (even though I have been dreaming about building one for years) and I just ordered and Ardupilot and and begginer's airframe. My goal is to try to set up a camera on it for aerial photography. But before I achieve that I need to get the plane up and autonomously running

I would love to meetup with you guys to learn and share experiences and tips!

Julian Alvarez

Nov 4, 2011, 12:21:21 AM11/4/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Where you located? I live in brooklyn and go to school at Cooper Union in Manhattan, hmu if you wanna get together.

jo

Nov 5, 2011, 3:44:48 PM11/5/11
to nyc-area-...@googlegroups.com
Great I'll contact you directly then

I'm really excited I just got the Ardupilot and the plane is coming in a few days!!!