NW.js v0.12.0-alpha1 released (node-webkit was renamed NW.js)

Roger

Jan 14, 2015, 11:03:33 AM1/14/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm pleased to announce NW.js v0.12.0-alpha1. This is the first
release after the project was renamed to NW.js (please see another
announcement for this). We migrated to io.js 1.0 and Chromium is
updated to 41.0.2236.2. Both upstream will be keeping updated before
the final release.

And there are new features:
- new chrome.webrequest API so you can observe and analyze traffic and
to intercept, block, or modify requests in-flight [1]
- new 'webview' tag from Chrome extensions to run third party content
in a separate process [2]. Using iframe with 'nwfaketop' is still
suggested if you don't care the process separation, because you have
the full direct access to the DOM with the iframe way.
- new 'bg-script' field in the manifest: you can launch a script on
start in a separate background process with it; you can also launch
the first window in that script. Note: the 'main' field is not
mandatory any more with this field in present.

[1] https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/webRequest
[2] https://developer.chrome.com/apps/tags/webview

You'll see several releases of v0.12.0 before the final release.
Please help us test it and report issues. In the meantime, 0.11.x
release is still maintained.

To download the new release, please go to http://nwjs.io , the
official site of the project. And we also have the new official
twitter account, github repo, chat room and renamed mailing list:

http://nwjs.io
https://twitter.com/nw_js
https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nwjs-general
https://gitter.im/nwjs/nw.js

Best regards,

Roger & Kevin

Kamesh Arumugam

Jan 14, 2015, 11:09:59 AM1/14/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, "webview" pretty excited to give a trial.

Thanks,
Kamesh.

matthew...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 7:14:44 PM1/14/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
For people unfamiliar with io.js, how might that change the components of node.js we use in NW.js? I did some research today and it seems that node.js is "stable" and io.js is unstable and experimental. Even io.js lists it's latest release as unstable. What does that mean in regards to nw.js's stability?

tomam...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 8:26:13 PM1/14/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roger, Kevin,

Do you have an ETA for the final release?

Thanks,
Thomas

jjk...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 10:34:03 PM1/14/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
chrome.webrequest is from the extensions api

does this mean that we can now use all of the chrome API? chrome.storage.local ? background.js ?

Basically I need to port a chrome extension to NW, but not sure which chrome extension api is supported and not.

For example is chrome.cookies supported? it can only becalled from the background.js but what is the equivalent in nw?

if this isn't the case, when would be a date for when we can port over an extension? or maybe even include an extension in the nw app?

Roger

Jan 15, 2015, 9:21:54 PM1/15/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

That would depends on Chromium and IO.js. We plan to release the final version when both become stable.

(Hopefully this will answer another post from Matthew).

Roger

Roger

Jan 15, 2015, 9:26:32 PM1/15/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
We do plan to support more chrome.* APIs. Please stay tuned ;)

There is an issue tracking this, please leave your wishes there.

Thanks,

Roger

Anatoly Pashin

Jan 18, 2015, 2:14:24 AM1/18/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
io.js is stable as node.js, but full of new features like updated v8 and more — read full list at https://github.com/iojs/io.js/blob/v1.x/CHANGELOG.md
io.js moved to semver versioning system, so 1.0.0 is first major stable release. If there will be bug than there will appear 1.0.1, 1.0.2 and so on for fixing them. And nw.js will update io.js with it releases (just like chromium updates).

@Roger: nw.js versioning is not semver compatible. Renaming and switching to io.js is truly major update and nw.js must be 1.0.0 with this.

Пашин Анатолий,
эникейщик.

Anatoly Pashin

Jan 18, 2015, 2:14:36 AM1/18/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Just downloaded nw.js alpha.
I'm on windows 8.1 x64.

node-webkit was to start 3 processes on launch: the controller process, gpu process and one renderer.
nw.js is to start 4 processes on launch: controller, gpu and two renderers.

The problem: looks like second renderer is not used at all. Take a look at this:
Встроенное изображение 1
This screenshot is done with new nw.js started and inspector opened (fours process is it).
PID 9760 is doing all the work (render and js loop), PID 2176 is not used at all and can be killed with no consequences.
Gpu process restarts on kill. Killing 9760 crashes nw.js.

I think this can be 'bg-script' regression or I'm completely wrong and sorry.

Пашин Анатолий,
эникейщик.

Matthew Dean

Jan 18, 2015, 2:14:48 AM1/18/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Roger. I suspected that was the case. Sounds like a smart strategy. Thanks for NW.js! You can't imagine how happy it's been making me lately. :-)

Matthew Dean

Message has been deleted

Roger Wang

Jan 19, 2015, 2:18:18 AM1/19/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
The additional renderer is for 'bg-script', webview and other chrome.* API support. I'll see how to workaround this limitation in Chromium.

Roger
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nwjs-general+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Пашин Анатолий,
эникейщик.

Anatoly Pashin

Jan 19, 2015, 2:20:50 AM1/19/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I thought it starts new process on-demand.

Пашин Анатолий,
эникейщик.