NW.js v0.13.0-alpha1 is available

Roger Wang

Jun 10, 2015, 10:18:27 PM6/10/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
(NOTE: This version is a snapshot of the next major version 0.13 which is under active development. For now it’s not compatible with some of the APIs in 0.12, as we are refactoring them with a new technology from upstream. In the final release of 0.13, it will be compatible with all features in 0.12. It’s recommended for you to try this release and give your valuable feedback.)

Hello,

We are pleased to announce NW.js 0.13.0-alpha1. Spell checking and chrome.proxy (extension API) is supported in this version; More features in 0.12 have been ported like clipboard API, 'new-win-policy' event; a new event 'navigation' is added to the 'Window' object. Its usage is the same as 'new-win-policy', except that only policy.ignore is supported, and the callback has an additional 'context' parameter, with which you'll know the source of the navigation. The value could be 'hyperlink', 'form' or 'location'.

Starting from 0.13.0-alpha0 we've been supporting Chrome Apps and many chrome.* APIs. For more information about it, see the previous announcement: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/nwjs-general/IqfH1RXNGlw/2PgeRGHO-B4J

There are 2 builds for each platform - normal build and sdk build. Normal build doesn't have devtools, only SDK build does. lt can be opened by pressing F12 (Cmd-Alt-I on OSX). SDK package will also have more development tools to be exposed in the following releases.

Our build infrastructure enables live binary build from git tip so you can access to the latest binary for this branch from http://dl.nwjs.io/live-build/nw13/

Known issues
===========
* (osx) app doesn’t quit by closing windows after using devtools

As this is the alpha release in the early phase of active development. Please expect bugs, and welcome to report them to our issue tracker with ‘[nw13]’ in the title.

Thanks & Best regards,

Roger & Kevin

Roger Wang

Jun 10, 2015, 10:21:24 PM6/10/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com, wen...@gmail.com
Changelog: https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/blob/nw13/CHANGELOG.md

- [nw12] Fix OSX cpu hog in some cases
- [nw12] support sudo in Linux
- Fix: (windows) need to specify full path to the package directory as the command line argument
- use current process on navigation
- support Spell checking with '--enable-spell-checking' switch
- support extension API chrome.proxy
- command line switch '--url' ported
- enable local storage in NW.js app
- save/restore application window geometry between sessions
- don't open URL with external program
- 'new-win-policy' event ported (setting manifest in the callback is yet supported)
- chromedriver fixed
- don't rewrite process title
- support 'on-navigation' event
- support JS dialogs (alert(), etc)
- allow all API permission in NW.js app
- Clipboard API ported
- Fix "__filename" and "__dirname" in "nw" object for Node compatibility
- Fix OSX packaging way of putting files in 'app.nw' dir
- New test framework

ulti...@yahoo.it

Jun 11, 2015, 8:06:15 AM6/11/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hey Roger, i'm running a game previw in Construct 2 with the 32 bit version of the NW 13a1, it displays an error message saying: Failed to load expension from: C:/bla bla bla/package.zip. Manifest file is missing or unreadable.

Is there a way to fix this?

jtg-gg

Jun 15, 2015, 12:13:43 AM6/15/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Roger, I want to know what is your plan with existing Notification API
will it uses chrome browser system ?
or you will keep the existing (using the OS notification system) ?

and do you have list, what existing API you won't support / port to nw13

Roger

Jun 15, 2015, 12:31:55 AM6/15/15
to jtg-gg, nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
We'd like to keep all existing APIs and features in nw13 so nw12 apps will be running directly in nw13. There should be special cases where we'll change the API a little bit but I haven't seen it so far. The idea is to have the minimal impact on the application developer's side.

In the implementation level we'll replace some of the current implementation with the better one in Chrome. Notification API is one of them. On OSX the notification API in Chrome is not native so we'll need some work here. Additionally we may need some API wrapper on top of it for nw12 compatibility.

Roger

Roger Wang

Jun 15, 2015, 12:33:19 AM6/15/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com, ulti...@yahoo.it, ulti...@yahoo.it

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 8:06:15 PM UTC+8, ulti...@yahoo.it wrote:
Hey Roger, i'm running a game previw in Construct 2 with the 32 bit version of the NW 13a1, it displays an error message saying: Failed to load expension from: C:/bla bla bla/package.zip. Manifest file is missing or unreadable.

Is there a way to fix this?

Could you please send a case reproducing this? I'm not sure in which case it failed there.

Roger

Pedro Luz

Jun 17, 2015, 12:10:12 PM6/17/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi, did something changed in this version related to package.json and "toolbar": true ??

Because is not showing the toolbar when its set to true

Thanks

Roger

Jun 18, 2015, 1:31:21 AM6/18/15
to Pedro Luz, nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Toolbar is not migrated yet. For now you can use right click context menu in SDK build to open devtools.

Roger

barbieru...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2015, 10:25:25 AM6/19/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
hello,

i'm having issues with nw.require().
it fails to load modules from my local folder / cwd().
0.12 had no problems on that.

using ubuntu 14 x64
app folder structure
./AppFolder/
-- App/
-- nw (executable) & other nw files
-- node_modules/threadless/package.json ('main' set to index.js)
-- node_modules/threadless/index.js
-- node_modules/threadless/* (other threadless files)

anyone else had problems loading modules ?

thanks and best regards,
gabriel

Roger

Jun 22, 2015, 10:09:06 AM6/22/15
to barbieru...@gmail.com, nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I tried launching nw with the directory of application, where there is a simple module in the 'node_modules' dir. It works for me here.

Roger

gav...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2015, 2:59:04 PM6/22/15
to nwjs-g...@googlegroups.com