Google Season of Docs 2020

Juan Luis Cano

Apr 30, 2020, 4:45:33 AM4/30/20
to NumFOCUS
Hi all,

Last year NumPy, SciPy and SymPy participated in Google Season of Docs, and I believe it was a positive experience for the projects (at least that's the impression I got on social networks). The deadline for 2020 is approaching (May 4th 20:00 UTC) and I wonder if NumFOCUS is considering acting as an umbrella organization[1].

Even if my project in particular (poliastro) would not benefit from this right now as it's not an sponsored nor an affiliated project (it's an affiliated project of a NumFOCS sponsored project, Astropy) I wanted to ask in case anyone from NumFOCUS would provide some insight.

Best,

Mridul Seth

Apr 30, 2020, 5:04:44 AM4/30/20
to NumFOCUS
Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up. We decided against participating as an umbrella organisation as Google places an upper limit of 2 slots per organisation for GSoD.
So it makes more sense for interested projects to participate individually as they can individually can get 2 slots.

We did collect them at a central place at https://github.com/numfocus/gsod last year but projects applied independently.

Cheers
Mridul

Juan Luis Cano

Apr 30, 2020, 5:19:37 AM4/30/20
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Thanks a lot for the quick response, I hadn't noticed that bit and
it's very relevant.

Best regards,

--
Juan Luis Cano

Ralf Gommers

Apr 30, 2020, 7:33:03 AM4/30/20
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan,

To add to that: yes it was a valuable experience for NumPy, SciPy and SymPy. NumPy and SymPy are applying again; for SciPy we didn't quite have the bandwidth this year.

I'd definitely encourage you to apply directly to Google for your own project.

Cheers,
Ralf