new packages?

m...@radimrehurek.com

Dec 17, 2012, 4:18:19 AM12/17/12
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I came across NumFOCUS some time ago. Its mission seemed to match one of my open-source packages (gensim) well, so I sent a message via the NumFOCUS website.

Today I came across NumFOCUS again and remembered that episode :) (no answer came)

Is NumFOCUS accepting promotion of new packages? Is it Continuum sw only? How does the promotion work, in practice?

Thank you and have a nice week,
Radim

Travis Oliphant

Dec 17, 2012, 9:48:15 AM12/17/12
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hey Radim,

NumFOCUS promotes packages that have been in use and popularized by others in the community. So far, we have not undertaken to popularize less well-known packages.

However, a web-page showing a list of additional packages would be in-scope for NumFOCUS. We don't really have a process yet for promoting new packages, but I suspect that if we did it would involve the package showing evidence of adoption by a large number of people.

NumFOCUS seeks to promote to funding agencies and others in the media the packages that are already in common use.

Best,

-Travis

Skipper Seabold

Dec 17, 2012, 10:06:57 AM12/17/12
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Travis, Hi Radim,

I don't know what kind of vetting process you have in mind, but FWIW,
I've been using gensim for some dissertation work, and I believe Radim
has also worked with the scikit-learn developers. The traffic on the
gensim mailing list suggests to me that it's fairly widely used if a
bit domain specific, but after all, it's a big domain.

http://radimrehurek.com/gensim/about.html

I actually thought to reach out to Radim for the NumFOCUS "user
stories" call not too long ago but never did...

Cheers,

Skipper

Travis Oliphant

Dec 17, 2012, 10:15:04 AM12/17/12
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Skipper.

That's exactly the start of a vetting process that i would imagine --- people who speak up and say they use the package. Right now what we have is quite rudimentary and so we only *know* about the most widely used packages (and others that are in the minds of board members).

Posting on this list is a great way to get visible, though.

-Travis

m...@radimrehurek.com

Dec 20, 2012, 5:02:11 AM12/20/12
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

thanks for the info -- so it seems the answer is "no" right now, no problem.

Let me know when the metric of "how popular must a package be before it's popularized by NumFOCUS" takes more shape (I am subscribed to this group) or if you need any additional info.

Best of luck to NumFOCUS (and Travis in particular -- congratulations on the Continuum grant),
Radim