"the error code was 8884" - the specified server is unknow

sl...@solutions.canon.com

Mar 30, 2007, 4:01:56 PM3/30/07
We have 4.91 SP2 for Windows XP. I tried to change in nwclient propeties
of "advance setting" - Bad address cache timeout to 0. The problem still
is there when login. Even load SP3, did not see anything change. Any
latest update? Thanks in advance!

S. Liu

m_jonis

Mar 30, 2007, 5:13:14 PM3/30/07
In article <U0ePh.15$mb6...@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
sl...@solutions.canon.com says...

I've got about 4 workstions with the same problem too.

We are using ZEN 6.5 agent as well, so it's been recommended that maybe
the workstation manager (see TID #10091670) is trying to talk via SLP
and SLP has not yet initialized, so it marks things as "bad" (although
in your case setting it to zero should've resolved that).

So the recommendation for us (not tried this yet) is to set the
workstation manager service dependant upon the SLP service for startup.

Andrew C Taubman

Apr 1, 2007, 7:43:52 PM4/1/07
Delete the tree name, context and server name from the GUI login.
Instead, put the IP address in the server name field and try that. If it
works like that, you have an SLP issue.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.

J McCourt

Apr 2, 2007, 1:00:01 PM4/2/07
We had a lot of 888* errors on login. I changed the login script to
distinguished name and they mostly disappeared. 6.5SP3 4.91SP3

So instead of this
MAP INS S1:=SYS:\PUBLIC
MAP ROOT S:=E177NW6FS1\VOL1:\USERS\TEACHERS\
I made it this
MAP INS S1:=.E177NW6FS1_SYS.E177LSNW6:\PUBLIC
MAP ROOT S:=.E177NW6FS1_VOL1.E177LSNW6:\USERS\TEACHERS\

m_jonis

Apr 13, 2007, 4:28:20 PM4/13/07
In article <YsXPh.2240$mb6...@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
ataubman.Remo...@novell.AndThis.com says...

> Delete the tree name, context and server name from the GUI login.
> Instead, put the IP address in the server name field and try that. If it
> works like that, you have an SLP issue.

Thanks, but I'm going to ask a dumb question.

If it finds the server name in the first part of the login script, but
only fails on drive mappings, would that still indicate an SLP problem?

Andrew C Taubman

Apr 15, 2007, 10:17:49 PM4/15/07
Depending on the precise syntax used in the script it may or may not. I
suggest you go ahead and try it anyway.

m_jonis

Apr 16, 2007, 2:21:19 PM4/16/07
In article <h1BUh.920$Yp....@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
ataubman.Remo...@novell.AndThis.com says...

> Depending on the precise syntax used in the script it may or may not. I
> suggest you go ahead and try it anyway.

I will try. I should mention our resolver configuration is SLP and NDS
only.

I always thought that once it found the tree, (NDS) it tossed SLP out
the window at that point and only used NDS to find stuff?

Kevin Schulke

Apr 19, 2007, 10:21:11 AM4/19/07
Andrew C Taubman wrote:

> Delete the tree name, context and server name from the GUI login.
> Instead, put the IP address in the server name field and try that. If it
> works like that, you have an SLP issue.

I am running Novell Client 4.91 SP3 for Windows on a VMWare virtual server
running Windows 2000 (SP4) Server encountering this same error message as
well.

I performed the suggested steps, login with user/password and server ip
address only, in the GUI with success. Then when I attempt to login with
user/password and tree and context only it fails. It returns the message,
"The tree or server cannot be found. Choose a different tree or server."

So, I applied the TID 10091760 fix to resolve the SLP issue. But, when I
tried again, the fix did not resolve the problem. I can only login
succesfully when the server ip address or server name is supplied.

What should I do next to resolve this issue?

Kevin Schulke
EDS

Andrew C Taubman

Apr 19, 2007, 6:47:46 PM4/19/07
Please post in the netware.communications forum with full details of
your SLP configuration (you should be able to see what others get asked
for in that forum, like slpinfo output).