Ditching the Arduino IDE?

Bradley Wood

Apr 25, 2013, 3:45:58 AM4/25/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Has anyone on the group set up a toolchain that doesn't rely on using the Arduino IDE?

Something using gcc, make, avrdude etc?

I've been meaning to do this for some time but haven't got round to it.

If anyone fancies giving a talk on it I for one would love to hear it.

Brad

Adrian Godwin

Apr 25, 2013, 4:10:51 AM4/25/13
to Bradley Wood, not-just...@googlegroups.com

Dean

May 15, 2013, 1:41:40 PM5/15/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
there is a pug in for visual studio too

Bradley Wood

Jun 13, 2013, 4:24:11 AM6/13/13
to Adrian Godwin, not-just...@googlegroups.com
An update on this:

I've been messing about with an Arduino Makefile for a bit with and have had varying results -- my biggest problem being a failure to compile via make where the sketch builds fine in the Arduino IDE.

However, I am now happy to say I've found a *brilliant* alternative IDE/toolchain solution which is not as full-on as XCode or MSVS or any of the industrial strength dev environments, but its sexy enough to give syntax highlighting, code completion, etc etc in a nice, clean, programmer-friendly editor with integration to SVN, git, etc as well as full in-IDE build, upload and serial monitor support.

The editor is Sublime Text 2 -- it is nothing short of amazing -- see http://www.sublimetext.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AV9zJH2n_Y. (it even has vim-emulation for the hard-core Unix H@x0Rs out there).

To this a few plugins are needed, firstly: ST2's "Package Control" -- this is a plugin for the editor that enables the easy subsequent installation of other plugins.  http://wbond.net/sublime_packages/package_control/installation

And then STINO (Sublime Text arduINO) which is the good bit: https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino.

It works a treat on my Mac, and quite happy with both the editor and the plug-ins.. Downside? 70USD for a licence for ST2 -- money well spent in my mind, but might be prohibitive otherwise....  ST2 builds exist for Wintel and Linux too, so should also work there but YMMV...

Brad

marc barto

Jun 13, 2013, 4:57:55 AM6/13/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Godwin
Looks fantastic thanks, shame it's not open source, I guess developers have to make a living too but $70 is a bit pricy. Anyway please do keep us posted on this and it might be a good idea for a presentation at a coming event.

cheers

Carlos Cardoso

Jun 15, 2013, 2:03:04 AM6/15/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
For MacosX, I installed Crosspack

For Windows I use WinAVR, and they have their own code editor that allows you to set up your Make and Make flash actions. Not sure about code completion though...

However, I'm not sure how to get the Arduino libraries to compile along with your project with these (never tried it myself). But, for the more advanced user, one can start from "scratch" with Peter Fleury's (not me) libraries and ditch the Arduino all together.

mentar

Jun 21, 2013, 7:54:53 PM6/21/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
The saga continues,
For those who want a graphical IDE then I suggest you check out codeblocks with the arduino wizard. I've installed this on ubuntu machine and it works nicely. All I did was follow the instructions here:
    https://github.com/provideyourown/CodeBlocks-Arduino
Only gotcha is that it's when it comes to symlinking the "arduino", link it to the arduino directory and not the bin. For those who used apt to install it's likely to be at "/usr/share/arduino"

There is apparently a windows version at http://www.arduinodev.com/codeblocks/ but I've not tried it

Hope this helps someone.

mentar
--
Mentar - Sent from my crApple free environment