Stepping down as maintainer for Nose...

John Szakmeister

Oct 24, 2015, 7:26:00 AM10/24/15
to nose...@googlegroups.com, jpel...@gmail.com
All,

The time has come for me to step down as maintainer of Nose.
I simply have too much going on and Nose 1.x really just
needs too much work to be the tool everyone wants it to
be--what seem like simple fixes takes hours to get right, and I
just can't afford that kind of time (I've spent entire weekends
and the wee hours of many mornings looking at some problems).
I'd really hoped I'd hit a situation in which I could sit down
and dedicate that kind of time, but it simply hasn't happened
and I don't see it happening any time soon.

So, I'm looking for a new Nose maintainer. Unfortunately, I
don't really have the credentials to grant anyone access to the
repository, website, etc. so we'll have to coordinate with Jason
to make the transition. I plan on stopping all my activities
with Nose at the beginning of the year, but to be honest, I'm
finding hard to make time for Nose right now, so I expect a low
volume of activity over the next couple of months.

This is not entirely unexpected. The hope from the beginning
when I took on maintenance was that Nose2 would gain more
adoption, and Nose would lose relevance. I'm not sure either of
those are true right now, but my circumstances are forcing my
hand.

I hope someone from the community can step up and give Nose the
TLC that it needs, and succeed where I have failed.

Thanks for listening!

-John

Pooja Shah

Nov 3, 2017, 7:53:34 AM11/3/17
to nose-dev
🤒 totally agree on the efforts and thought process. I'm sure, giving up on a project which is consumed by mass and specially something is near to one's heart, I must say, must not have been an easy decision for you John. Thanks for all your & all contributors efforts.
Coming to new maintainer part:
I'm all in to contribute but not sure if i'm a right person who can maintain and merge PR in. Would like to get connected with folks who still wants nose 1 to live longer and can re-validate the fixes/feature Pull Requests which I curate.

Keen to listen back on this ...
- Pooja