Important NorCal FLL Updates - 4th email of the 2017 Hydrodynamics FLL Season

Neta - FLL Program Coordinator

Oct 10, 2017, 12:56:34 AM10/10/17
to norcalfll...@googlegroups.com

Hello Coaches & Community members,

  1. General Tournament Registration: Will open 10/10/17 around 7pm! Please complete your FIRST registration, payments and NorCal team info form (aka JotForm). You can check your Team Status, if everything is completed, a registration link will be available on your form.

  1. The Youth Registration System is now Open:  Log into your FIRST account and on the "Dashboard" you will see the youth registration system link at the top.

  • Coaches be sure to include your whole team - unlisted team member CAN NOT compete

  • This team list MUST match your NorCal Team Info Form (aka JotForm)

  • All team members must be accepted by their parents

  • All team members’ parents must fill out the consent form

MISSING ANY OF THESE STEPS MEANS YOUR TEAM MEMBER CAN NOT COMPETE

  1. Donate:

  • Playing At Learning is a 501(c)(3) public charity

  • We do not receive funding from FIRST - we are an independent nonprofit

  • We rely on donations (and matching grants/volunteer hours) from individuals like you

  • Please keep us in mind for your charitable donations

  • If you use Amazon: Add Playing At Learning as your charity and use Amazon Smile

  • If you shop at Lucky, SaveMart or FoodMaxx add Playing At Learning

  • Help us find sponsors for FLL Championship and Qualifier Tournaments

  1. Upcoming Events:

  1. In Person Q & A with Jill Wilker: 10/11/17 6pm - 7:30 pm @ Intel in Folsom

  2. Preparing for a Qualifier Tournament: 10/25/17 7pm - 8:30 pm @ gotomeeting

  • What Happens at a FLL Tournament

  • What is Qualifier schedule and how to read it

  • How to prepare yourself, the team and team parents

  • Awards and Advancement

  1. Scrimmages: Some scrimmages are scheduled, SIGN UP for upcoming scrimmages, post if you’re looking for scrimmages, or hosting a scrimmage.  See EVENTS on the right hand side, for scheduled scrimmages.  This can be a great way to prepare for the upcoming tournament season.  Also, The Play Space can be used Sundays between October 8th - 22nd but needs someone to organize/communicate with teams coming.  We can open the doors but do not have the bandwidth to coordinate.   We have a best practices page on how to organize a scrimmage.

  1. Grants Available:  Reminder that if the NorCal region support and tournament registration fees are more than your team can afford and you have a financial need, you can apply for a discount. You can use the same application form as the PG&E grant.

  1. Tee-Shirt Contest: The 11th Annual NorCal FLL Tee-shirt Design Contest for the Tournament Volunteer Shirts! Create the design that the volunteers will wear! The design submission deadline is Sunday October 22nd. Email your design to tsh...@playingatlearning.org along with your FLL team number.

  1. Lunch and Learn: Can you host a "Lunch and Learn" session at your company to help spread the word and learn about opportunities to volunteer? We have a small dedicated group of volunteers that can come out to your company. Learn more and fill out an Interest form.

Please pass this along to your team parents and others in your community that might be interested in FIRST LEGO League and encourage them to join this list.  Information is included at the bottom of this email on how to subscribe, unsubscribe as well as the link to visit the archive on the group's webpage.

Finally, if you don't see the links embedded in every item above, you should visit this google group's home page at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/norcalfll-announce  to see the links.

Regards,

- The Playing At Learning Team