Update as of 12/12: policy for pit practice tables, Donations, updated info about championships and more

Jill Wilker

Dec 12, 2014, 7:47:07 PM12/12/14
to NorCalFLL-announce
FLL Community:

6 items for you:  Policy for pit practice tables, Donations, Updated info about championships and more.  Please share this with your team's parents and community.

1) Written NorCal pit practice table policy now in effect.   We have been operating with this policy as common sense and in line with the FLL Core Values for a long time.  However, this past qualifier season, there were a couple of more serious issues that came up around sharing (or really it was a lack of sharing) and want to have this policy formally written down and understood by all.   This policy will be enforced at this season district championships as well as all qualifier tournaments going forward.

2)  Please keep Playing At Learning in mind as you review your end of year charity donations.  We need help in keeping The Play Space doors open as well as better support and manage the team growth that all 3 of our programs are experiencing, including tournament support.  We are an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) charity and donations are tax deductible.  Did you know that there are no employees of Playing At Learning - every one is a volunteer!    And we do not receive funds from FIRST!     Donate link to accept paypal/checks -  or you can give as part of a recurring Network For Good donation or Global Giving campaign  or Razoo's Giving Tuesday.

3)  Don't forget to file for volunteer matching hours and/or matching donations if your employer supports this.  Playing At Learning is currently registered to receive matching donations and volunteer hours from employees of Cisco, Intel, Google, State Farm, and Boeing.
If your company supports nonprofits by tracking volunteer hours or donations and you need help to get Playing At Learning registered,  let me know.   This is an easy way to help!

4) We now have confirmed dates for each of the 3 district championships.  All information about NorCal Championships is at http://championship.norcalfll.org  including team lists, dates, locations, what information will be needed to register,  etc.  The actual registration links coming soon (likely next week).  There is also a way for your team to request a swap or offer that you are willing to swap between championships

5)  No Championship Sponsor!   We have confirmed (unfortunately) that our long time championship sponsor is not going to be supporting the NorCal FLL Championships this season.  As a result of not yet finding any other sponsor(s),  we will need to increase the Championship Registration fee to $225.   We are not happy about this but really need everyone's help in securing sponsorships.    More info about Playing At Learning.

6
)  Completed lottery team lists posted.  The number of advancing teams (ACE Teams) from each district does not quite fill that respective championship.  Confused what is the lottery - more info here.

Finally, if you don't see the links embedded in items #1, 2 4, 5, and 6, you should visit the group's home page at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/norcalfll-announce  to get the links.

Regards,
     Jill

Jill Wilker,  Playing At Learning, an educational 501(c)(3) nonprofit
Northern California partner for FIRST® LEGO® League and FIRST® Tech Challenge  and Jr. FIRST® LEGO® League
www.norcalfll.org     www.norcalftc.org    www.norcaljrfll.org    (510)  656-8664       www.playingatlearning.org

Help needed -  ongoing,   championship planning,   sponsors!
---