Continuous Integration for Node JS Projects

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2011, 11:19:28 PM9/2/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
hi,

I'm looking for a way to do Continuous Integration (CI) for NodeJS projects.
Can we use jenkins for this, then how?
Is there any other solution available?

--
Arunoda Susiripala

Martin Wawrusch

Sep 3, 2011, 12:46:36 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Check out travis-ci.org, they support node.js now

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2011, 1:42:12 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hmm,

I think Travis is only for public projects.
Can we use it for private projects tooo.

On Saturday, September 3, 2011, Martin Wawrusch <mar...@wawrusch.com> wrote:
> Check out travis-ci.org, they support node.js now
>
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM, arunoda.s...@gmail.com <arunoda.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>> I'm looking for a way to do Continuous Integration (CI) for NodeJS projects.
>> Can we use jenkins for this, then how?
>> Is there any other solution available?
>>
>> --
>> Arunoda Susiripala
>> @arunoda <http://twitter.com/arunoda>
>> <http://gplus.to/arunoda>https://github.com/arunoda
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/arunoda <http://www.linkedin.com/in/arunoda>

>> --
>> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

>> http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en <http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en>

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

> For more options, visit this group at

Martin Wawrusch

Sep 3, 2011, 1:50:56 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You can always run it on your own machines and link it to your private repositories, it is open source. I am quite sure though that there will be a commercial offering soon. Would be stupid not to do that.

Joshua Cohen

Sep 3, 2011, 1:59:36 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I use Jenkins for CI at work with a custom build script that runs tests, coverage and JSHint. Not really much to it other than that, shouldn't be difficult to achieve (albeit there's nothing off the shelf that I know of).

Richard Marr

Sep 3, 2011, 4:47:51 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I wrote some custom CI code to auto-deploy a staging server from a
webhook recently, but it's not really generalised enough to share.

It is something I want to put a bit more time into though, but I'm
going to wait a bit and see whether the Drip gets published.
http://nodeknockout.com/teams/swipers

Anybody from Team Swipers around?

--
Richard Marr

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2011, 8:10:57 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Wow,

That's cool. It'll be great If they opensourced it.

Aria Stewart

Sep 3, 2011, 11:24:16 AM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 3, 2011, at 1:59 AM, Joshua Cohen wrote:

> I use Jenkins for CI at work with a custom build script that runs tests, coverage and JSHint. Not really much to it other than that, shouldn't be difficult to achieve (albeit there's nothing off the shelf that I know of).

If you use node-tap, you should be able to plug into existing infrastructure for Jenkins + tap tests.

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2011, 12:30:31 PM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Wow. Thanks for the Info. And whiskey is also Tap compatible. cool.

a arias

Sep 3, 2011, 3:07:00 PM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
What about Atlassian Bamboo? It works with JUnit, and automates builds and tests. It's comes as an Apache/Tomcat package, it's not free (a starter license is $10), which both suck. However, it does have the most comprehensive set of features of all the CI tools I've researched this past couple of years. And, it works with any language that has xUnit support.

-Adrian

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2011, 11:04:06 PM9/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I tested jenkins yesterday and I suites me what I wanted.
With the tap test result integration It wokrks pretty well :)
Tap is working with Whiskey  and node-tap

And there are junit report support for nodeunit
therotically It should also work with jenkins.

Their we can get a url to force build. So that can be used as a github post push hook :)
And there are hell a lot of pulugins.
Which send email, im and integrate with google calendar. (I haven't tested the IM thing yet)

and I'm totally satisfied with the jenkins.

cheers.

Cliffano Subagio

Sep 5, 2011, 8:09:02 PM9/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
If you're using Node.js with Jenkins, there's also Jenkins NodeJS Plugin https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/NodeJS+Plugin which allows node scripting as a build step, and Nestor https://github.com/cliffano/nestor a Node.js Jenkins CLI (faster than standard Jenkins CLI).

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2011, 10:43:57 PM9/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's great.

Seems like you are the author. Thanks for sharing :)
BTW. can we use nestor programatically too?

Cliffano Subagio

Sep 6, 2011, 12:18:33 AM9/6/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Yep, check out bin/nestor for an example on how you can use it programmatically.

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2011, 12:43:45 AM9/6/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Yes.
Got it.

It's there :)

Vidya Raghavan

Jan 7, 2014, 6:45:43 AM1/7/14
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Hey Arunoda,

Why don't you use Shippable CI? It supports many popular languages like csharp,Ruby,node_js,python,java and scala for both private and public projects. Test speed and additional reporting are the big plusses on Shippable CI.

Cheers,
Vidya