spawn and stdout in 8.1

Mark Hahn

Jul 3, 2012, 2:25:20 PM7/3/12
to nodejs
After switching to 8.1 several modules I use, like imagemagick, seem to be having trouble getting stdout back from a spawn.  Did something change in spawn?

Charlie McConnell

Jul 3, 2012, 3:28:12 PM7/3/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The most likely cause is that you now want to listen for the 'close' event instead of 'exit'.  'exit' now fires when the child actually exits, 'close' fires when all stdio streams have closed.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Charlie McConnell
Head of Developer Operations
Nodejitsu, Inc.

Mark Hahn

Jul 3, 2012, 3:47:14 PM7/3/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks...

I guess I'll have to wait until modules I use have been updated for 0.8.

Joshua Holbrook

Jul 3, 2012, 3:51:55 PM7/3/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I'd just start patching them, especially if the library's just
shelling out on the backend. Seems like it wouldn't be too bad. :)

--Josh
Joshua Holbrook
Engineer
Nodejitsu Inc.
jo...@nodejitsu.com

Alan Gutierrez

Jul 3, 2012, 4:01:13 PM7/3/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 7/3/12 3:51 PM, Joshua Holbrook wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Mark Hahn <ma...@hahnca.com> wrote:
>> Thanks...
>>
>> I guess I'll have to wait until modules I use have been updated for 0.8.
>
> I'd just start patching them, especially if the library's just
> shelling out on the backend. Seems like it wouldn't be too bad. :)

Done.

https://github.com/rsms/node-imagemagick/pull/47

--
Alan Gutierrez - @bigeasy