New Amazon SDK for Node.js - the view from AwsSum

Andrew Chilton

Dec 4, 2012, 10:42:21 PM12/4/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate Amazon on their new developer
release of the official AWS SDK.

* http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2012/12/aws-sdk-for-nodejs-now-available-in-preview-form.html
* https://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-js/

So ... where does this leave AwsSum? Well actually, in a good place.
As is always the case in open source software you get choices, which
makes competition which makes things better in the long run for
everyone concerned.

As a quick comparison from what I've seen so far:

AwsSum:

* Node.js style callbacks (callback(err, res))
* lower-level functionality, one to one mapping of service/operation to methods
* supports 26 services

AWS SDK:

* promise style return values (.done(), .error(), etc)
* higher level functionality including retries and backoff
* supports 4 services (surely more very soon)

So from what I can tell there is lots of room for both libraries to
exist and I hope to read what they've done and improve AwsSum based on
what I find. Hope you have fun trying them both out so if you'd like
to try AwsSum take a look here:

* http://awssum.io/

Also, my approach to AwsSum is about to expand pending time over the
Christmas holidays. I'm planning on adding OpenStack support and
possibly other IaaS providers into the library, so if you have any
suggestions, please open an issue and I'll take a look:
https://github.com/appsattic/node-awssum/

Have fun and happy hacking.

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andrew Chilton
e: chi...@appsattic.com

alessioalex

Dec 5, 2012, 3:40:09 AM12/5/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew, thank you for your AWSome module. I wanted to use a Node module for Route53 (dynamic dns update for my domain a la dyndns/no-ip) and just yesterday discovered AwsSum (if I hadn't, I would have coded my own module). I was really impressed to see the support for so many services and the excellent documentation & examples.

Keep up the good work, I'm still going to use AwsSum from now on and seeing your post here increases my trust in this module.

- Alex ~ @alessioalex (github, twitter)

Andrew Chilton

Dec 5, 2012, 1:35:41 PM12/5/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

On 5 December 2012 21:40, alessioalex <alessio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Andrew, thank you for your AWSome module. I wanted to use a Node module
> for Route53 (dynamic dns update for my domain a la dyndns/no-ip) and just
> yesterday discovered AwsSum (if I hadn't, I would have coded my own module).
> I was really impressed to see the support for so many services and the
> excellent documentation & examples.

The docs still need some work, but myself and Joey are working on them
as time permits.

> Keep up the good work, I'm still going to use AwsSum from now on and seeing
> your post here increases my trust in this module.

Thanks. Am glad you'll carry on using it. I've also been told by
others that they'll continue to do the same. :)