Re: Trouble installing node.js onto mac

Wil Moore

Oct 5, 2012, 12:49:11 AM10/5/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi JD,

Either by running the mac installer or building from source, I cannot get npm to work on os x mountain lion. When building from source I get the following error:

You might want to give one of the binary tarball packages a shot (though it shouldn't be much different from the installer package). I've only every installed this way and I've never had an issue. If you don't want to do this manually and/or don't want to know the details, you can use a package (https://github.com/wilmoore/nodejs-latest) I wrote that will allow you to quickly install the latest NodeJS binary package. If you have trouble, open an issue.

That being said, even if you do end up using the distributed install or something like `nodejs-latest`, I would encourage you to pick them all apart and understand what they are doing to your system. You'll be better equipped to diagnose problems when they arise and you'll be better equipped to help others when they have issues.

Good luck to you,

--Wil Moore III