Re: What Editor / OS / Dev enviroment do you use?

Jeroen Janssen

Sep 21, 2012, 8:45:03 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am using Sublime Text 2 (with SublimeLinter and the Google Closure Linter) on Windows.

Jeroen

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:42:27 PM UTC+2, Andrew Mclagan wrote:
Im switching to Ubuntu after struggling with windows, i will replace notepad++ with Vim and finally get into terminal...

Im interested in what OS / Dev Enviroment other Node.js developers use?

José F. Romaniello

Sep 21, 2012, 8:46:11 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I am using ubuntu and my editor is Sublime Text 2. I use few plugins specific for node.js and javascript for sublime;

https://github.com/Kronuz/SublimeLinter

you can install these with the package control of sublime.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Chris Corbyn

Sep 21, 2012, 8:48:32 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
A reasonably minimal Vim https://github.com/d11wtq/dot-vim in the terminal. I tend to work inside a linux VM, over SSH from my Mac.

Joe Developer

Sep 21, 2012, 9:11:32 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu and https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9 running locally.

Benjamin Gudehus

Sep 21, 2012, 9:37:36 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Windows 7 with Sublime Text 2 or Jetbrains Webstorm 5.

NPM packages: express, mongoose, underscore, jade, async, mocha, chai, superagent, ...
Client-side libraries: bootstrap, jquery, knockout.js, normalize, modernize, underscore, superagent, ...

Sotonin

Sep 21, 2012, 9:42:08 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
MacOS + Sublime Text 2

deitch

Sep 21, 2012, 9:52:36 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mac OS X + TextMate. Would love to go SublimeText2 like some of the other posters, but it screws up my indenting, see

Sotonin

Sep 21, 2012, 10:27:50 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Don't really see the big deal. Press tab. Shrug

Sotonin

Sep 21, 2012, 10:30:52 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You must have some conflicting package like the last poster suggested.. Just tried your last indent example and it works fine for me. I don't have the issue

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:52 AM, deitch <a...@deitcher.net> wrote:

William Oliveira

Sep 21, 2012, 10:31:52 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
OS X + VIM + Lots of terminal work
--
// w. oliveira
// js - python - lisp - clojure

Diogo Resende

Sep 21, 2012, 10:32:12 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Works fine for me, Cmd+Shift+V instead of Cmd+V. If you think this should always be normal paste, just change the key bindings..

--
Diogo Resende

José F. Romaniello

Sep 21, 2012, 10:33:28 AM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deitcher, If you want to answer one of your questions, if you want to reindent a chunk of javascript... you can install from package control a package called "JsFormat", then you can select a block of javascript and ctrl+shift+p then format js... Or you can give a keyboard shortcut

2012/9/21 deitch <a...@deitcher.net>

Scott Elcomb

Sep 21, 2012, 12:04:10 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Andrew Mclagan
<andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Im switching to Ubuntu after struggling with windows, i will replace
> notepad++ with Vim and finally get into terminal...
>
> Im interested in what OS / Dev Enviroment other Node.js developers use?

Debian or Ubuntu with Vim for most things. Raspbian with Vim for
<https://github.com/jeremyckahn/pine>.

And Windows with Notepad++ (or Vim under Cygwin) when I have to.

--
Scott Elcomb
@psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems
http://code.google.com/p/atomos/

Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Oleg Efimov (Sannis)

Sep 21, 2012, 1:10:03 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
(OS X || openSUSE) && (Jetbrains Webstorm)

P. Douglas Reeder

Sep 21, 2012, 1:10:04 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I develop under OS X (Snow Leopard), using Eclipse and the command line. The OS X command line environment is close enough to the Linux command line environment on the machines I deploy to.

Eclipse is OK, but IntelliJ (which I use in my other job) is better.

I use Miller's JavaScript Lint instead of Crockford's JSLint, because it catches more real problems and can be configured to ignore non-problems.

Jimb Esser

Sep 21, 2012, 1:11:54 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I'm also using Sublime Text 2, on Windows 7, though running all of my node processes on Ubuntu.

Interestingly with my start-up, the four programmers were originally using 4 different editors (VIM, Emacs, Visual Studio, and WebStorm) for the first year, and now we're mostly all using Sublime Text 2 (admittedly with individual plugins that make it behave more like VIM, Emacs, and Visual Studio ;).

Tim Caswell

Sep 21, 2012, 1:26:35 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
For the longest time time I used Gedit on linux, Textmate on OSX, and
Vim on headless boxes. Then sublime2 came out and I used that for a
short while since it runs on windows, linux, and osx. Now I mostly
use the hosted cloud9 because I work from several machines and having
my dev environment always the same no matter what machine I'm using is
nice.

In all the cases, I use the terminal for everything except editing, so
IDE features are lost on me. I just want a good way to edit my code.
When porting code from one language to another, multiple cursors in
sublime and cloud9 is amazing.

William Oliveira

Sep 21, 2012, 2:12:37 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
@Tim Caswell I'm going to try Cloud9, heard so much about it. Any tips for new users?

Mark Hahn

Sep 21, 2012, 2:18:51 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Jetbrains Webstorm 5.  I find the integration with GIT to be unmatched in others I've tried, like sublime.  You can switch branches with a single click and it has good graphical GIT logs.  And of course you can see exactly what has changed on a line by line basis with line-specific reverts.

There are many other features but this one keeps me from switching.

Tim Caswell

Sep 21, 2012, 2:28:51 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM, William Oliveira <sudow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Tim Caswell I'm going to try Cloud9, heard so much about it. Any tips for
> new users?

Disclaimer: I'm employed at cloud9. That said, the editor is finally
something that I enjoy using now that I have a real tty emulator and
linux environment with every workspace. The latency is still a
problem sometimes, but most the time it's quite nice when on my home
internet.

I'm actively working to improve the latency and offline support.

The editor has node docs inline with autocomplete.

Anyway, enough marketing and back to making awesome stuff...

Diogo Resende

Sep 21, 2012, 2:42:34 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Does it run on node v0.8.x? I was waiting for it to happen to try it out on a private domain.

--
Diogo Resende

Tim Caswell

Sep 21, 2012, 2:44:44 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Diogo Resende <dres...@thinkdigital.pt> wrote:
> Does it run on node v0.8.x? I was waiting for it to happen to try it out on
> a private domain.

I was told it does, then I was told there are problems.
https://github.com/ajaxorg/cloud9/commit/c66284221143c175fc889418d499da6f37492a7c

Try it out and see.

Joe Developer

Sep 21, 2012, 3:19:49 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Recently it started behaving much better with 8.x - I've found no reason to use it with 0.6.x the last number of days. I should note though that I don't pull the cloud9 git repo obsessively, so I might have gotten lucky :)

Personally I rarely use it from further than LAN, if you aren't working on versioned files then that would be something to fix. If you are, then syncing files between various locations seems a non-issue (?)

On a related note though, on my todo list is trying out https://github.com/paddybyers/anode/wiki/Build

Stewart Mckinney

Sep 21, 2012, 9:13:22 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
OSX local, Ubuntu remote, and vim/tmux

Reasons: homogeneity ( no learning of two editors, I use the same server side and locally ), and tmux allows me to have multiple sessions locally and remotely ( I have tmux all up in my tmux ).

Also, vim has a lot of plugins and i've been diving into making my own lately. I personally like Sparkup, Tabularize, and thoughtbot's dotfiles for extra vim stuff and git status on the command line: ( https://github.com/thoughtbot/dotfiles )

Tmux makes it easy to manage my workflow, as well. But it's far more useful remotely, when you can just attach-session and be right where you left off.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM, themitchy <mi...@nodefly.com> wrote:
OS X, Eclipse, Aptana plugin

Reasons: Eclipse debugger, aptana terminals inside of eclipse, git integration.

 - mitch

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:42:27 AM UTC-7, Andrew Mclagan wrote:
Im switching to Ubuntu after struggling with windows, i will replace notepad++ with Vim and finally get into terminal...

Im interested in what OS / Dev Enviroment other Node.js developers use?

Stephan Bardubitzki

Sep 21, 2012, 11:34:28 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu and Cloud9. Cloud9 with its JS editor, debugger and all the other features is just outstanding. Coming from Java, NetBeans - JS, Node, CouchDB and Cloud9 are just a relieve.

Darren

Sep 21, 2012, 11:58:12 PM9/21/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,
I develop in Ubuntu, MacOS and CentOS. I use SublimeText2 and a simple lint plugin (https://github.com/darrenderidder/Sublime-JSLint - but there are several others, probably better than mine). I use 'n' for node version control. For deployment we roll our own RPMs. For anyone on Windows I'd recommend installing an Ubuntu VM using VIrtualbox or VMWare. Too many of aspects of the node ecosystem are Linux centric to make Windows a viable option for development IMHO, not to mention that most deployments will run on *nix. Good luck finding your favorite setup... Let us know what you end up with. :-)

Darren

Jeff Schwartz

Sep 22, 2012, 12:00:07 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
My preferred OS environment is Mac OSX. I'm also comfortable on Linux and Windows. I had been using Vim & Sublime Text 2 for my Web development (Node and client) but a few months back I tried WebStorm and since then I never looked back. Node debugging, excellent auto code completion, jshint, jslint, zed coding, Vim key binding, color theming, split screen editing, auto code reformatting ... It's a keeper.

Stuart Carnie

Sep 22, 2012, 1:13:39 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
PhpStorm; full JS Editor and debugger.  Works on Windows, OS X and Ubuntu.

victorkane

Sep 22, 2012, 3:16:43 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Internet and cloud > local dev machine
Eclipse (with vi plugin http://www.viplugin.com/viplugin/ ), in remoting perspective so I edit remote files directly on Linode dev servers and get terminals, etc. right in Eclipse. That gives me command line "integration" with Git, and if I wanted more build magic I would use an on-server Puppet or similar.
The environment for me is not a single product. I love to have a few terminals open and on my dev servers I also have midnight commander installed.
The main thing with me is that I do not develop on my local machine (Mac Book Pro, which would be capable of it but why bother) but rather use my local machine as a dev client to developer servers and apps (GitHub essentially, Pivotal Tracker essentially). I work with Pivotal Tracker open to know "where I am" in my user story sprint, and I have Pivotal Tracker integrated with GitHub to receive all commits. So I know where I am in the project.
Process > Coding

Victor Kane

Dennis Kehrig

Sep 22, 2012, 4:56:47 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Windows XP with SciTE extended by Scintillua for CoffeeScript highlighting.

Yi Tan

Sep 22, 2012, 5:11:32 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
MacOS, VIM with:

very happy

Regards,

ty

2012/9/22 Dennis Kehrig <mailg...@denniskehrig.de>

Ilya Sh.

Sep 22, 2012, 7:57:22 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with Gnome Shell, WebStorm 5. Local mongo, redis.

Shripad K

Sep 22, 2012, 8:39:47 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I use Sublime Text 2, MacOSX primarily. Ubuntu VM + vim/ST2 again for testing.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Ilya Sh. <ilya.sha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ubuntu 12.04 x64 with Gnome Shell, WebStorm 5. Local mongo, redis.

Alex Kocharin

Sep 22, 2012, 6:03:55 AM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

vim / linux debian

--
// alex

21.09.2012, 21:10, "P. Douglas Reeder" <reed...@gmail.com>:
> I develop under OS X (Snow Leopard), using Eclipse and the command line. О©╫The OS X command line environment is close enough to the Linux command line environment on the machines I deploy to.
>
> Eclipse is OK, but IntelliJ (which I use in my other job) is better.
>
> I use Miller's JavaScript Lint instead of Crockford's JSLint, because it catches more real problems and can be configured to ignore non-problems.

Christian Taltas

Sep 22, 2012, 12:45:04 PM9/22/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mac OSX + emacs (aquamacs) + js2-mode

On Saturday, September 22, 2012, Alex Kocharin wrote:

vim / linux debian

--
// alex

21.09.2012, 21:10, "P. Douglas Reeder" <reed...@gmail.com>:
> I develop under OS X (Snow Leopard), using Eclipse and the command line.  The OS X command line environment is close enough to the Linux command line environment on the machines I deploy to.

> Eclipse is OK, but IntelliJ (which I use in my other job) is better.
>
> I use Miller's JavaScript Lint instead of Crockford's JSLint, because it catches more real problems and can be configured to ignore non-problems.
>
> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Christian TaltasCofounder and CTO
chri...@yupana.com | +1 415 562 6013
Yupana Systems, Inc.
yupana.com | +1 650 399 0000 ext. 102

greelgorke

Sep 24, 2012, 6:43:54 AM9/24/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mac OSX + Intellij IDEA (i do java too) || WebStorm || plain-old-vim on terminal

Hendry Suwanda

Sep 23, 2012, 10:17:44 PM9/23/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

i use sublime text 2 & crunchbang

Alexey Petrushin

Sep 24, 2012, 9:42:34 AM9/24/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mac OS + Textmate / Sublime

As for Ubuntu - while on vacation temporarily switched to Ubuntu from Mac OS - only to discover that after all those Years Ubuntu even doesn't have Cntr+C/V (You has to press Cntrl+Shift+C/V) working in console, and tons of other quirks, UI experience is far from good.
Seems like Ubuntu freeze for infinite time in the state of half-product, it's good for temporarily usage, but not acceptable for professional day-to-day usage.

Ben Noordhuis

Sep 24, 2012, 9:51:21 AM9/24/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Alexey Petrushin
<alexey.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like Ubuntu freeze for infinite time in the state of half-product,
> it's good for temporarily usage, but not acceptable for professional
> day-to-day usage.

It's funny, I say the same thing about OS X.

Tim Caswell

Sep 24, 2012, 10:02:30 AM9/24/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 24, 2012 8:42 AM, "Alexey Petrushin" <alexey.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mac OS + Textmate / Sublime
>
> As for Ubuntu - while on vacation temporarily switched to Ubuntu from Mac OS - only to discover that after all those Years Ubuntu even doesn't have Cntr+C/V (You has to press Cntrl+Shift+C/V) working in console, and tons of other quirks, UI experience is far from good.

Why on earth do you want control+c and control+v overriding the terminals input?  Osx gets away with using its native clipboard bindings because option+anything doesn't clash with tty commands.  Most control+anything key bindings have common and essential meanings in tty apps.

I'm my ~18 years of Unix style development gnome-terminal is the best tty emulator out there.

> Seems like Ubuntu freeze for infinite time in the state of half-product, it's good for temporarily usage, but not acceptable for professional day-to-day usage.

Zhao Cheng

Sep 25, 2012, 3:40:11 AM9/25/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Tim Caswell <t...@creationix.com> wrote:
> Why on earth do you want control+c and control+v overriding the terminals
> input? Osx gets away with using its native clipboard bindings because
> option+anything doesn't clash with tty commands. Most control+anything key
> bindings have common and essential meanings in tty apps.
>
> I'm my ~18 years of Unix style development gnome-terminal is the best tty
> emulator out there.

I agree with you, gnome-terminal is the most thing I miss after I have
switched to Mac.

--
Cheng
Intel Open Source Technology Center

Ryan Schmidt

Sep 25, 2012, 4:18:04 AM9/25/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 25, 2012, at 02:40, Zhao Cheng wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Tim Caswell wrote:
>> I'm my ~18 years of Unix style development gnome-terminal is the best tty
>> emulator out there.
>
> I agree with you, gnome-terminal is the most thing I miss after I have
> switched to Mac.

You don't need to miss gnome-terminal on your Mac; you can just install it. It's available in MacPorts, for example. I just tried it; it works fine.

Diogo Resende

Sep 25, 2012, 4:58:23 AM9/25/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Better alternative: iTerm2

--
Diogo Resende

shawn wilson

Sep 25, 2012, 7:31:29 AM9/25/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Debian (moving to arch). A compiled stack of: zsh, rxvt, tmux, vim, node, xmonad.

Bruno Jouhier

Sep 25, 2012, 5:09:46 PM9/25/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mac OS X + Sublime Text 2

Jeff Barczewski

Oct 1, 2012, 1:27:47 PM10/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
emacs + js3-mode + jshint, mac OS X and ubuntu (on mac, using specifically Aquamacs and iterm2)

Alexey Petrushin

Oct 1, 2012, 6:22:48 PM10/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
> Why on earth do you want control+c and control+v overriding the terminals input?
Because in most cases it's used to copy/paste text from and to. I believe copy/paste support is
more important from the perspective of ergonomics and usability than tty support.

Alexey Petrushin

Oct 1, 2012, 6:28:45 PM10/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Update: huh, I didn't realized that You meant often used tty ctrl+c signal :). Yea, agreed it's used
even more often than copy.
Still using ctrl+shift+c/v for copy/paste feels very inconvenient.

Joe Developer

Oct 2, 2012, 5:38:31 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Alexey Petrushin <alexey.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Update: huh, I didn't realized that You meant often used tty ctrl+c signal :). Yea, agreed it's used
even more often than copy.
Still using ctrl+shift+c/v for copy/paste feels very inconvenient.

Mouse select to highlight, middle-click to paste - if you want convenience.

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 2:22:48 AM UTC+4, Alexey Petrushin wrote:
> Why on earth do you want control+c and control+v overriding the terminals input?
Because in most cases it's used to copy/paste text from and to. I believe copy/paste support is
more important from the perspective of ergonomics and usability than tty support.

klrumpf

Oct 2, 2012, 6:01:59 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Or left select to highlight, right click to paste like PuTTY

Shogun

Oct 2, 2012, 8:12:37 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mac OSX + Textmate, sometimes Cloud9 or Sublime Text 2

Karl

Oct 2, 2012, 8:23:48 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Or left click = copy, right click = paste, PuTTY style

Sapardee

Oct 2, 2012, 8:24:29 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Sublime Text2 is not free, it needs registration to use it..

Fadrizul H

Oct 2, 2012, 8:31:29 AM10/2/12
to Sapardee, nod...@googlegroups.com
Lol, Sublime is free to use. You can pay for the registration if you want to get rid off the pops up. Tard

Sent from my Windows Phone

Oct 2, 2012, 8:54:24 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Has Anybody tried to install sublime text2 on ubuntu, i need guidance how to install it on ubuntu..

Ian Lawrence

Oct 2, 2012, 8:57:49 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hi

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Sapardee <sapa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has Anybody tried to install sublime text2 on ubuntu, i need guidance how to
> install it on ubuntu..

I followed this

http://www.technoreply.com/how-to-install-sublime-text-2-on-ubuntu-12-04-unity/

or it seems there there is a ppa (untried)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/sublime-text-2
sudo apt-get update

Then, install Sublime Text 2 stable build:
sudo apt-get install sublime-text

Regards

--
Ian Lawrence
Tel: (+55 92) 88017824

Arunoda Susiripala

Oct 2, 2012, 8:58:28 AM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Untar it and just click the binary. Its that simple.
--
Arunoda Susiripala

Mark Hahn

Oct 2, 2012, 1:49:21 PM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com, Sapardee
Did you just call someone "Tard"?  That has got to be the most rude and childish thing I've seen on this, or any. technical forum.

shawn wilson

Oct 2, 2012, 5:15:11 PM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Or tmux: ctrl+b [ <space> alt+w to copy and ctrl+b ] or screen's variation or vi's ctrl/shift+v y to copy and p to paste, or gpm left click to immediately copy a buffer.

Copy/paste is no where near as standard as anyone thinks or would hope.

Joe Developer

Oct 2, 2012, 8:27:54 PM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Don't know about that, but it ranks pretty high on my tragically-ironic meter.

Thomas Shinnick

Oct 2, 2012, 9:36:44 PM10/2/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Y'no, he could be Occitanian and just saying 'later', or are you going to take offense at signoffs like 'tschüss' or "plus tard".

Perhaps English is not his first language
or perhaps his sensitivity may not up to the challenge
or perhaps English is your stumbling block
or perhaps your sensitivity is too challenging?

You've failed Postel's law, twice over.

aykut yaman

Oct 7, 2012, 11:54:11 AM10/7/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Debian and emacs

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Trevor Norris <trev....@gmail.com> wrote:
That's the exact setup I have. Also have a couple vim entries to make my life simpler:

This just executes the file I'm currently working on:

And I use this to quick wrap code that I know I won't want committed: