https://new.npmjs.org/ test coverage

Graeme Foster

Jul 10, 2012, 5:14:02 PM7/10/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
In order to soak up its nodey design philosophy I've been looking at the repo for https://new.npmjs.org/, but I can't find any tests! I've only dabbled with toy websites myself (at least with node), but when I've played around I've started with an end-to-end test to kick off the TDD process (I'm using zombie for this right now).

So this got me wondering - is it weird to write tests for a site like this? Is it just too simple? Are all of the pieces worth testing already split off into modules? Even so, there's a fair bit of code left behind and I can't imagine testing it all manually; maybe I missed something?

How do folks generally test a website built with node?

G.

Isaac Schlueter

Jul 10, 2012, 7:15:19 PM7/10/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing.

There's a very boring todo item there to set up a bootstrap thingie so
that a script will spin up a couchdb and redis instance for
development. (Right now, I usually point it at the staging DB, or
just the public one, but that's going to be super hazardous once we
start actually building out features for doing package administration
and such.)

Maybe I'll actually do that todo item, and start writing some functional tests.

But so far, all the modules it uses are pretty well covered. There
are some things that probably out to be split out into separate
pieces, and it'd be nice to have some coverage around the
restart-on-HUP logic.