It's on again!

Tony Morris

Jul 4, 2013, 9:51:03 PM7/4/13
to nict...@googlegroups.com
It's on again!

[Introduction to Functional Programming � 2 days, 19/21 August 2013]
[More Adventures in Functional Programming � 2 days, 22/23 August 2013]

Functional Programming fun at NICTA is being offered at Australian
Technology Park, just as we did in January. NICTA will be hosting a
hands-on Introduction to Functional Programming over two days for
interested participants. Some of you missed out on the two-day session
January and this is being repeated on Monday 19 August and Wednesday 21
August.

Further to this, there will be another two-day session held on Thursday
22 August and Friday 23 August. This session will be a follow-on from
the previous mentioned. If you attended in January and you are thirsty
for more, then this is for you. If you can manage to all four days, even
more FP power to you.

We will be using the Haskell programming language for our journey in
each of the two days and the introductory session requires no prior
experience with functional programming. You will be required to bring a
suitable development machine (portable) for working through the
exercises. You will also need to install Glasgow Haskell Compiler[1]
version 7 or higher on that machine. There are no other primary
requirements.

Each of these sessions will be instructed by Mark Hibberd (NICTA) and I
to help you along your path of FP discovery, wherever that might be. The
non-introductory session will be more hands-on and with more direction
toward practical application, however, it will be very tough going if
you are not yet familiar with some of the basics (you have been warned).

If you are interested in attending either or both of these sessions,
please respond to me[2] by email as soon as you are able to commit. For
those of you who missed out last time, and would like to attend this
time, I will make special accommodation here as promised, but please
respond as soon you can.

In your response, it is very helpful for us to understand your goals in
order to make the best of the time we will have, so if you could also
answer a few questions, I'd most appreciate it! Your answers will not be
shared � just used to construct the course structure and material, then
discarded.

1. Which of the sessions would you prefer to attend?

2. How would you rate your level of understanding of functional programming?

3. What would you hope to get out of the session?

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/

[2]
Tony Morris
e: Tony....@nicta.com.au
p: 0408711099
t: @dibblego

Tony Morris

Jul 11, 2013, 11:23:43 PM7/11/13
to nict...@googlegroups.com
Due to an overwhelming response for interest in the two upcoming NICTA
sessions on functional programming, we have had to limit numbers. For
those who did not receive an email specifying the details, I apologise
for this and we have started making plans to repeat this session in
early November. Please keep your interest alive and extra effort will be
made to offer you a place in the early-November session.

As it stands, there may be cancellations and in that case, we will send
out an invitation. If you received an email with details and you
currently plan on attending, please let me know as soon as possible if
you wish to cancel so that others have the option to fill the spot.

Sorry to those who expressed interest and I could not fit you in. There
were people from last time where this occurred and I have had to give
them preference out of fairness. I will do the same for you next time.