newtdb and plone

Roman Lacko

Feb 10, 2017, 2:46:01 PM2/10/17
to newtdb
Jim, when I first I read about NewtDB I was absolutely amazed.
I wonder if there are any plans to support Plone in feature ? It would take the Plone to completely different level - e.g. no more content mirroring from plone to sql.

Thanks
R.

Jim Fulton

Feb 10, 2017, 2:48:31 PM2/10/17
to Roman Lacko, newtdb
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Roman Lacko <backup...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim, when I first I read about NewtDB I was absolutely amazed.
I wonder if there are any plans to support Plone in feature ?

It supports Plone now.  Newt DB is meant to be a drop-in replacement for ZODB.

Jim

Paul Everitt

Feb 10, 2017, 3:09:56 PM2/10/17
to newtdb

On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:48 PM, Jim Fulton <j...@jimfulton.info> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Roman Lacko <backup...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim, when I first I read about NewtDB I was absolutely amazed.
I wonder if there are any plans to support Plone in feature ?

It supports Plone now.  Newt DB is meant to be a drop-in replacement for ZODB.

That said, for Plone to take advantage of it, you’d have to “do things”. E.g. in places where views do searches via the catalog, instead use newt’s search facility.

On the KARL project (large Plone-like thing in Pyramid), we’re lucky to have Jim contract with us on newt-ifying things. Even though he’s been building newt along the way (it started from Jim-had-never-thought-about-it in late October), it’s been quite smooth. Ludicrously smooth. However, we still have to, one-by-one, change our views to get the benefits.

I can’t recommend highly enough getting Jim to contract on a project. Besides newt, he flat out knows Python and PostgreSQL.

—Paul

Jim Fulton

Feb 10, 2017, 6:55:21 PM2/10/17
to Paul Everitt, newtdb
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Paul Everitt <paule...@me.com> wrote:

On Feb 10, 2017, at 2:48 PM, Jim Fulton <j...@jimfulton.info> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Roman Lacko <backup...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim, when I first I read about NewtDB I was absolutely amazed.
I wonder if there are any plans to support Plone in feature ?

It supports Plone now.  Newt DB is meant to be a drop-in replacement for ZODB.

That said, for Plone to take advantage of it, you’d have to “do things”. E.g. in places where views do searches via the catalog, instead use newt’s search facility.

An interesting project would be to try to create a drop-in catalog replacement. I can imagine something that provided the same search API and also set up PostgreSQL indexes when indexes were added, similar to the way Newt now automates setting up full-text search. It would have somewhat different semantics, but could probably provide the existing catalog convenience and radically reduce the weight of supporting search in Plone.

Jim