News of the Force: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - Page 2

1 view

Newsoft...@aol.com

May 19, 2012, 3:37:07 PM5/19/12
to newsoft...@yahoogroups.com, newsoft...@googlegroups.com
NEWS OF THE FORCE
Saturday, May 19, 2012 - Page 2

Summit to highlight NATO's evolving capabilities
By Karen Parrish, American Forces Press Service

    The Defense Department's top NATO expert said there are three big agenda items and one strategic priority that will occupy center stage at the alliance's May 20-21 summit in Chicago.
    The three central "deliverables" involve Afghanistan, smart defense and NATO partnerships outside the alliance itself, James J. Townsend, Jr., deputy assistant secretary of defense for European and NATO policy, told Pentagon Channel and American Forces Press Service reporters.
    What allows the alliance to come to agreement on such weighty issues, he said, is NATO's strength as an organization where nations can join together to address global concerns.
    On Afghanistan, the Chicago summit provides an opportunity to do "an important bit of messaging" to members of the alliance and its partner nations, but also to Afghans, to Pakistanis, and to the Taliban, Townsend said. The message, he said, is that NATO "is going to have an enduring presence in Afghanistan after 2014, which is when the Afghan national security forces will totally take lead for the security responsibilities." Townsend said NATO and its allies "will not leave Afghans behind after 2014. We're going to be there with them." NATO forces will not be in a combat role in Afghanistan after 2014, he said, but the alliance will provide a smaller force to train and mentor the Afghan army and the country's police.
    The summit also will involve discussion on agreements on how NATO will acquire needed military capabilities over the next 10 years, Townsend said. NATO's smart defense approach combines member-nations' buying power to collectively acquire new capabilities for the alliance, he noted. "Since the end of the Cold War, we've seen a steady decline in allies' spending on defense," Townsend said. "That decline has accelerated over the past couple of years as we've moved into the debt crisis and the euro zone crisis in Europe." But, he added, alliance nations realize even as defense spending shrinks that NATO has capability gaps it needs to fill. Using the smart defense approach, two, three, or four countries might come together to acquire capability that none of them could afford otherwise, Townsend said. Some of those gaps involve refueling and intelligence, surveillance and response capabilities, and a number of nations have already signed on to collective agreements to fill them, he said.
    Announcements at the summit involving interim missile defense plans and the alliance ground surveillance system will demonstrate that NATO is moving forward to meet future challenges, Townsend added.
    The summit also offers a chance to celebrate NATO partnerships outside the alliance, which greatly extend the organization's reach, he said. "NATO has established partnerships globally that not a lot of people know about," Townsend said. "Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea have been very helpful to the alliance, particularly in Afghanistan, and in other places."
    NATO's continued growth and evolution keep the 63-year-old organization vital, Townsend said. The North Atlantic Treaty of 1949 created NATO as a Cold War-focused alliance, Townsend said. When the Soviet Union dissolved and the Warsaw Pact went away, he said, "We were faced with the question of, 'Well, do we still need NATO?'" He said the violence that erupted in the Balkans in the early 1990s quickly proved NATO's continued worth as an organizing agent to restore peace, as the alliance directed the political will of its member nations towards agreement on a particular course of action and organized a collective military response. "So in the 1990's as we dealt with our first post-Cold War crisis in the Balkans, NATO began to validate itself as a post-Cold War requirement as well," he added.
    The second point that made the allies rethink any idea about doing away with NATO, Townsend said, "was that we had a long line of nations knocking on the door wanting to join." Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic were followed by other nations eager to join the alliance, he said.
    NATO deployed forces to tamp down violence in Kosovo and elsewhere in the Balkans. More recently, the alliance sent troops to fight pirates operating off the coast of Somalia, and NATO helped to protect the citizens of Libya, Townsend said. Today, he added, it's universally recognized that the need for the alliance "is unquestioned." At the same time, member nations must ensure the alliance stays strong and viable for the future, he said. "It's something you can't take for granted," Townsend said. "And when these summits come along every year or two years or so, these are opportunities for us."
    The summit offers the chance to "push forward" initiatives like smart defense, and "helps us deal with ongoing operations like Afghanistan," where NATO provides some 60,000 troops, he said.
    Today's NATO, now strengthened by the new blood and ideas of former adversaries, remains a strong and vital alliance able to address global issues, Townsend said. "Ten years down the road, I hope that we're in a state of alliance that continues to be militarily strong despite the austerity that we're in," he said. "I hope that we see an alliance that is creative, an alliance that is always thinking of efficiencies and always thinking about the future," Townsend added. "I think we can see an alliance that has the full support of the United States, of the American people, of Congress, and also the full support of the allies."

UFO news
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Science%2Band%2BTech/Story/A1Story20120519-346918.html&ct=ga&cad=CAEQAhgAIAAoAjADOANAyeHe_QRIAVAAWABiAmVu&cd=PVnFGcYloAA&usg=AFQjCNEl4RswG_TQ8ER8Aly9IVkp97vx-A
   While some call it hogwash, others are fascinated by unidentified flying objects, or UFOs. If aliens wanted to land somewhere on this planet it seems the Lone Star state would make the short list with well-known cases like the Stephenville UFO event.
    And an unidentified object flying over Denver, Colo., nearly caused a mid-air collision last Monday evening. As far as investigators know the object did not show up on radar. Investigators believe the object, whatever it is, could pose a serious safety hazard to planes. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) began an investigation over the alleged UFO sighting.

U.S. Coast Guard news

    The U.S. Coast Guard has air-lifted a 60-year-old man from a Yankee Fleet charter vessel 19 miles off the southeast coast of Gloucester, Mass., after the man was reported to be having chest pains.
    Four months before the derelict fishing vessel, Deep Sea, caught fire and sank in Washington state's Puget Sound, the U.S. Coast Guard reported finding "minimal fuel" in its tank. That assessment has turned out to be inaccurate.
    Safety and education are top priorities for the U.S. Coast Guard. But it goes beyond that for these men and women, for they are truly the front line when it comes to security along our coasts. Being on the front line for the members of the Coast Guard goes well beyond the scope of search and rescue on the water. It's all about keeping watch on the home front, and it's a mission the Coast Guard takes seriously.
    The U.S. Coast Guard and Coast Guard Auxiliary in the 9th Coast Guard District are reminding boaters to “Wear it!” during National Safe Boating Week, May 19-25, 2012 and throughout the upcoming boating season.
    As part of Safe Boating Week, the Coast Guard Auxiliary will offer safe-boating classes and free vessel safety checks.

USAF to shut down aero club at EPAFB
Seal of the US Air Force.svg
    The U.S. Air Force has decided to shut down the flying club that has operated at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, since 1954.

Federal corruption probe focuses on Texas DHS office
U.S. Customs and Border Protection logo.jpg
    In a widening corruption probe, agents at a Texas field office of the Department of Homeland Security's watchdog agency have been accused of falsifying reports about their investigations of misconduct by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) employees.

John Edwards' jury retires without verdict

    The former White House hopeful will have to wait until at least Monday to learn his fate.

NAS Whidbey Island's air reconnaissance squadron disestablishes
Vq2.jpg
    Sailors, their families, and DOD personnel attended the Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2's disestablishment ceremony in Hangar Bay 6 at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash., (NASWI), on May 17.
    "It is bittersweet to say the least, but we are proud to say that we have been able to support the world's greatest Navy ever assembled," said VQ-2 commanding officer Cmdr. Mark Stockfish. "We look forward to continued success operating with our joint and Coalition partners as we combine with VQ-1."
    VQ-2 was established on Sept. 1, 1955. The VQ-2 "Rangers" final homeport change to NASWI was in September 2005. Other homeports included NAS Port Lyautey, Morocco, and Naval Station Rota, Spain.
    "We are very proud to have called Oak Harbor, Wash., and Naval Air Station Whidbey Island home for the last 7 years," Stockfish said. "The entire air station has shown terrific support for us and we are very grateful to each and every one of them."
    VQ-2 was one of two U.S. Navy Airborne Electronic Warfare Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance squadrons that conducted worldwide high priority missions on a continuous basis.
    "This is my first sea tour," said Yeoman 1st Class (AW) Roxanne Martinez, with VQ-2. "I have wanted this squadron since I was a seaman. The command intrigues me in so many aspects from its mission to the way it's configured."
    VQ-2 flew in Operations Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Mountain Lion, Mountain Sweep, Joint Guardian, Joint Forge, Enduring Freedom, Dolphin Eagle, Inca Gold, Nomad Shadow, and Celestial Balance. They also saw an extensive overland combat action in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, according to their command history.
    "When we were represented the 2011 Battle E it was monumental to our squadrons personnel," Stockfish said. "The command was aware that our unit was to be disestablished, yet through hard work and dedication, they were able to forge ahead and perform spectacularly in multiple AORs supporting Operation Odyssey Dawn, United Protector, and Enduring Freedom."
    The squadron has collected intelligence on areas and units of naval and national interest worldwide. "I think the disestablishing was a really great milestone," Martinez said. "We have made our mark in naval history and VQ-2 will live on."
    They also played an integral role in the War on Terrorism, combat action, crisis operations, and peacetime intelligence collection. "From our humble beginnings in the early 1950s as a VP-26 detachment at the U.S. Naval Air Facility, Port Lyautey, Morocco, to the establishment of the command on 1 September 1955, the Rangers have been at the forefront of action in support of combatant commanders and national intelligence collection programs," Stockfish said.
    According to VQ-2's mission statement, "Our men and women are the eyes and ears of the nation. We deliver critical electronic combat information to our forces: Any place, any time!"
    "I do not believe that there has been a conflict in the 6th Fleet's AOR (area of operations) that the VQ-2 Rangers have not taken a key role in supporting," said Stockfish. "We have been, and will always, be a low- profile unit that is a force multiplier that enables our country to succeed in times of war."
    According to the Naval Aviation Master Air Plan 11-2 and the Navy's Program Objective Memorandum (POM) 12 Efficiency Initiatives called for the consolidation of VQ-1 and VQ-2 through the disestablishment of VQ-2 with the current number of operational air crews and aircraft to support the mission tasking, and it allows for a reduction in "total ownership cost through the consolidation of personnel, administration, maintenance and training. Although our squadron may be gone, you can be rest assured that the spirit of 'Rangers lead the way' and it will continue to be active within the U.S. Navy as we move forward into Unmanned Aerial Systems," Stockfish said.
    Retired Capt. D.C. East, former VQ-2 commanding officer from July 19, 1982 to July 1, 1983, served as the guest speaker.
    The official disestablishment of the VQ-2 squadron is scheduled to take place in August.

Heading into talks with Iran, U.S. sees hopeful signs
    As American negotiators prepare for nuclear talks next week in Baghdad, Iraq, they say recent statements from Iran and pressure from sanctions have raised the chances of compromise.

Launch of commercial space craft canceled
    A private company that was set to launch a rocket loaded with supplies to the International Space Station aborted the launch at the last minute today. It would have been the first commercial flight to the ISS.

Mali grants amnesty to coup leaders
    Mali's Parliament has passed a law granting amnesty to the leaders of the military coup that plunged the country into chaos last March. The law is part of an agreement signed in April by army leaders and the West African bloc ECOWAS to restore order.

Deadly blast at high school in southern Italy
    One student was killed and seven others were wounded today when a bomb exploded outside their high school in the southern Italian port town of Brindisi, a local civil protection official said.

Salazar dedicates nation's newest  national monument at Fort Ord
US-DeptOfTheInterior-Seal.svg
    Saying conservation brings tourism, jobs, and economic renewal, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today was joined by federal and local officials, including White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley and the director of the Bureau of Land Management, Bob Abbey, to officially dedicate the 14,560-acre Fort Ord National Monument.
    The secretary was also joined by Rep. Sam Farr; Garrison Commander Col. Joel J. Clark; and Deputy Secretary of the Interior David J. Hayes. Nearly 400 community members and military veterans also participated in the ceremony.
    "Fort Ord exemplifies the type of bottom-up, locally-driven conservation project that President Obama's America's Great Outdoors initiative is all about, and which we are seeing flourish across the country," said Secretary Salazar. "It was the culmination of years of work by you, here, in Monterey to protect one of the last remaining expanses of coastal open space on the Central [California] Coast."
    Noting that the dedication was held on Armed Services Day and that the monument was designated in part to honor the many generations of American soldiers who trained and served at the former Army base, Salazar reminded the participants that, this week, the administration launched a program to provide active duty military service members and their families free access to more than 2,000 federal recreational sites across the country, including national parks and other public lands.
    "The Fort Ord National Monument will help honor the legacy of Fort Ord, the soldiers who served there and the history that has come to define the Central Coast," said Congressman Sam Farr. "Fort Ord’s National Monument status also gives our local economy a new tourist attraction, with the potential to create jobs in our communities. I want to thank President Obama and Secretary Salazar for recognizing Fort Ord, its proud legacy and strong potential to support our Central Coast economy."
    "At Fort Ord, the BLM will tell the story of the heroes who trained here and the military families who sacrifice so much to serve their country," said BLM Director Bob Abbey. "It will be a place for Americans to explore our past while also taking advantage of the remarkable recreation opportunities this spectacular landscape has to offer."
    On April 20, President Obama signed a proclamation designating the former Fort Ord a national monument, including 7,200 acres of public lands already managed by the Bureau of Land Management. In his proclamation, the President stated that, "The protection of the Fort Ord area will mainpain its historical and cultural significance, attract tourists and recreationalists from near and far, and enhance its unique natural resources, for the enjoyment of all Americans."
    The Monument also includes 7,446 acres under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Army that will be transferred to the BLM when ongoing cleanup and remediation activities are complete.
    The Fort Ord National Monument holds some of the last undeveloped natural areas on the Monterey Peninsula. The BLM protects and manages 35 species of rare plants and animals along with their native coastal habitats. Habitat preservation and conservation are primary missions for the Fort Ord Public Lands. The area is also a recreation destination, with more than 86 miles of trails for the public to explore on foot, bike or horseback and one of the key venues for the annual Sea Otter Classic - one of the largest cycling festivals in the world.
    "The president's proclamation of Fort Ord as a national monument was about helping fulfill the community's own vision for its future," said Sutley. "It is a future where recreation and tourism are engines for economic prosperity, and where Fort Ord's history and natural beauty are preserved for all Americans to experience and enjoy."
    “BLM’s national monuments contribute to the creation of local jobs and strengthen local economies," said Deputy Secretary Hayes. "The Department of the Interior alone supports $363 billion and 2.2 million jobs annually in the U.S and BLM public lands in California – including where we are standing today – host more than 10 million recreation visitors a year, contributing $980 million to local economies and 7,600 recreation-related jobs."
    Local officials and members of the Fort Ord Reuse Authority were also on hand for today’s event. Members of several groups who communicated their support for the designation of Fort Ord as a national monument were also present, including representatives from the Conservation Lands Foundation, Fort Friends and Monterey Off-Road Cycles.
    In his remarks, Secretary Salazar lauded the breadth of support for establishing the Fort Ord National Monument. In particular, he recognized the work of Director Abbey, who is retiring at the end of the month after 34 years of public service.
    "Fort Ord will be always be a proud reminder of what communities can do when they come together to protect the places they love, but it will also be one of the many legacies of Director Abbey, who has left a deep and positive imprint on America's public lands over his three decades of service," said Salazar.
    More information on Fort Ord National Monument is available at
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/content/ca/en/fo/hollister/fort_ord/index.html.
    For more information on the military pass, please visit: http://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html.

Today in History
Te lawrence.jpg
    On May 19, 1935, T. E. Lawrence, also known as "Lawrence of Arabia," died in England from injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash. What else happened on this day in history? Read move at http://newsoftheforce.org .

The parting shots
    Officials in Palisades Park, N.J., have refused to remove a plaque in memory of sexual slavery during World War II, and the episode has irritated South Korea-Japan relations.
    A car competing at the 14th annual Maures regional rally race in the southern French town of Dragugnan crashed into a crowd of spectators today, killing at least two people and badly injuring about 15, according to firefighters.
    The social networking web site Facebook made a disappointing debut on New York's Nasdaq yesterday. Despite early gains of more than 10 percent, Facebook shares fell back to the their original $38 issue price.
    In Egypt, female genital mutilation was outlawed five years ago after a 12-year-old girl bled to death. However, this ban has done little to stop the widespread practice, and some conservative lawmakers are now pushing to make it legal again.
    A spy in the sky: Turkish authorities have taken a dead bird in for inspection after finding an ornithological tag reading, "Israel" on its leg; Its uneven nostrils are said to be the result of "Mossad tampering."
    With gay marriage on hold, a Maryland court has OK'd gay divorce. Gay rights advocates say the ruling could have a far-reaching impact on same-sex couples in the state.
    And a prison guard escorted people around the inside of the Nevada State Prison yesterday after it was decommissioned. Before a crowd of hundreds, the final good-bye was said to the Nevada prison, which is now closed for good.

                                                            Page 2 of 2 Pages

News of the Force (R)
Tampa, Florida USA
Phone: (813) 541-2452