News of the Force: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - Page 1

Newsoft...@aol.com

Sep 21, 2016, 3:23:09 PM9/21/16
to newsoft...@googlegroups.com, no...@yahoogroups.com
Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - Today is The International Day of Peace

'We'll fight terror on our own terms,' Turkey's president tells the UN
RecepTayyipErdo  an (cropped).jpg
    In his address to the UN, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has pledged that Turkey will fight terrorism on its own terms. "The world is bigger than five" Erdogan said, referring to the five permanent members of the UN's Security Council.

Obama hopes to rally support at the UN

    With record numbers of people fleeing trouble in their homelands, the Obama administration is struggling to confront what Secretary of State John F. Kerry on Monday described as a "global humanitarian crisis, in some places a catastrophe."

'Noose tightening' in battle to retake Mosul, JCS chairman says

    The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said he expects Iraqi forces to be successful in their assault to retake Mosul and deliver a sharp blow to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Speaking to reporters after a trip to Europe, Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford listed recent gains leading up to the eventual battle to retake the key northern city. Those advances, he explained, include Iraqi forces bridging the Tigris River near Qayyarah and securing the airfield there. "The noose is gradually tightening around Mosul," he said. The liberation of Mosul will "chip away" at the idea of a physical caliphate for ISIL, he said. Taking back Mosul and Raqqa, ISIL's so-called capital in Syria, will severely limit ISIL's operational capability and ability to operate in the region and beyond, he said. "In my view, it'll be a very significant blow to the Islamic State as they lose Mosul and Raqqa and they can no longer talk about holding a physical caliphate in Syria and Iraq," Dunford said. Iraq's leaders have identified Iraqi forces that are required for the operations to take back Mosul, the chairman said. Those forces will be ready in October, he noted. The timing of the assault, Dunford said, is a political decision that rests on Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi. "Our job is to actually help the Iraqis generate the forces and the support necessary for operations in Mosul and we'll be ready for that in October," the top US general said. President Barack Obama, after meeting with Abadi on Monday in New York City, said he expects a tough fight for the city of more than two million people, noting ISIL has "embedded itself deeply" within Mosul. Dunford told reporters that hearing about ISIL-inspired terrorist attacks worldwide further steels his resolve to defeat ISIL's ideology and eliminate the terrorists in Mosul and Raqqa. "What it continues to give me is a sense of urgency for getting after the physical caliphate, undermining the virtual caliphate and eliminating the ability to conduct supported, directed or inspired attacks," he said. This will be done through military means in cooperation with the Coalition and through partners on the ground, the chairman said. "The more aggressive we are at taking the fight to the Islamic State, wherever they happen to be, the more successful we will be in eroding their physical capability to direct attacks and support attacks," Dunford said. When the narrative is undermined, [those] people will no longer be inspired to carry out attacks, he said.
    And US and Coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today. Attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely-piloted aircraft and rocket artillery conducted 14 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government: Near Albu Hayat, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle bomb; Near Bashir, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle and an anti-air artillery system. Near Kisik, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and suppressed a second tactical unit; Near Mosul, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit; Near Qaim, a strike destroyed an ISIL vehicle bomb facility; Near Qayyarah, three strikes engaged two ISIL tactical units and destroyed six vehicles, six watercraft, two vehicle bombs and a heavy machine gun; Near Ramadi, two strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit and a staging area and destroyed a vehicle, a building, a mortar system, a fighting position, a fuel tanker and two rocket rails; Near Sultan Abdallah, a strike destroyed two ISIL improvised weapons facilities; and near Tal Afar, two strikes engaged two ISIL tactical units and destroyed two vehicles and a weapons cache.
    Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely-piloted aircraft conducted eight strikes in Syria yesterday: Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed 23 ISIL oil tanker trucks and four wellheads; Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes damaged nine supply routes; Near Mara, two strikes engaged two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three mortar systems and two fighting positions; and near Raqqah, a strike produced inconclusive results.

US blames Russia for attack on aid convoy
By Lisa Levine, News of the Force Tel Aviv

    A UN aid convoy delivering food relief to a rebel-held area near Aleppo was targeted in an airstrike, as a week-old cease-fire brokered by Russia and the US collapsed with a new surge of Syrian government bombing. The US has reached the preliminary conclusion that Russian warplanes bombed the aid convoy and a warehouse belonging to the Syrian Arab Red Crescent.
    The United Nations suspended all aid shipments into Syria yesterday after the deadly attack on the convoy carrying humanitarian supplies.
    The alleged US-led Coalition airstrike on Syrian soldiers has not derailed a cease-fire agreement between Russia and the United States to halt fighting in Syria, a top U.S. general has said.
    Israel is bussing in Syrian children for medical treatment. "Israel is doing something no other nation is doing for Syria," one doctor said.
    US Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has praised Israel's use of racial profiling. He says America has no choice but to follow Israel's lead in order to combat terror successfully.
    And the police have extended the ban on Jewish prayers to encompass the entire Muslim quarter of Jerusalem's Old City.

    Cuzin Gym's Thought for the Day: Bacteria: It's the only culture some people have.

SECDEF honors two former senators
Ash Carter DOD Secretary Portrait.jpg
    Secretary of Defense Ash Carter hosted a ceremony honoring former U.S. Senators Carl Levin and John W. Warner for their years of distinguished service on the Senate Armed Services Committee this afternoon in the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes (Room 2D1040). As part of the ceremony, a legislative suite (Room 3E970) in the Pentagon will be renamed the Levin-Warner Legislative Affairs Suite. Secretary Carter will also present the Department of Defense Distinguished Public Service award to Sen. Warner, which Sen. Levin received previously in December 2014.

US Air Force
Seal of the US Air Force.svg
    Nearly three years into her tenure as the Air Force's top leader, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James reaffirmed that people continue to be her top priority during her State of the Air Force address at the Air Force Association (AFA)'s Air, Space and Cyber Conference on Sept. 19th, in National Harbor, Md.
    Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work provided remarks on the Third Offset Strategy this morning at the Air Force Association's Air, Space & Cyber conference at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center at National Harbor, 201 Waterfront St., in Oxon Hill, Md.
    A pilot was killed and another pilot was injured yesterday morning after a U-2 military spy plane they were flying crashed in Sutter County, Calif., U.S. Air Force officials said. Officials at Beale Air Force Base, east of Marysville - where the two-seat training plane was from - said the aircraft went down about 9 a.m., PT, shortly after takeoff. Both pilots ejected from the plane before the crash. The plane was in the middle of a training mission, said Brooke Brzozowske, a spokeswoman for the Air Force. The crash happened in the area of West Butte and Pass roads in the Sutter Buttes, a remote area of volcanic domes formed about 1.5 million years ago. The crash site is about 50 miles north of Sacramento. The Air Combat Command (ACC) tweeted that the area isn't populated. Initial reports from the ACC indicated the pilots landed safely, but officials later said there wasn’t confirmation on the pilots’ conditions. The plane belonged to the 1st Reconnaissance Squadron, the military’s oldest flying unit. At 1:30 p.m., officials at Beale Air Force Base released a statement that one pilot died in the incident and the other was injured. The last U-2 plane that crashed out of Beale AFB was in 1996, when the aircraft landed in a busy commercial area of Oroville, killing the pilot and a person on the ground. U-2s can reach speeds in excess of 400 mph and fly as high as 70,000 feet, or more than 13 miles.
    Russia and China are America’s biggest threats, but North Korea and Iran are the most likely threats, President Obama’s choice to be the next commander of the U.S. Strategic Command told the Senate Armed Services Committee yesterday in his confirmation hearing. If the Senate confirms his nomination, Air Force Gen. John E. Hyten, now the commander of the Air Force Space Command, would succeed Navy Adm. Cecil D. Haney as the commander of Stratcom, which is responsible for the nuclear command and control mission; space operations; global strike; global missile defense; and global command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, as well as combating weapons of mass destruction. "The way I look at the threats across the world, I think Russia is the most dangerous threat, China is a close second, but the most likely threats and most concerning are North Korea and then Iran," Hyten said. North Korea is unpredictable, the general said. "It’s hard to tell exactly what they are going to do," he added. North Korea is building a capability that could mean a nuclear strike on the United States. North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un is developing a rocket that could launch a nuclear warhead at the United States, Hyten said. But all potential adversaries are investing in their militaries, the general told the senators. "As our potential adversaries upgrade their own capabilities, it is essential that we move forward to update and modernize the three elements of the nuclear triad and also ensure our plans are fully integrated with the other combatant commands," he said. The U.S. Cyber Command also comes under the aegis of Stratcom, and Hyten said if confirmed he would participate in "extensive and intensive" cooperation across the government and with allies to prepare for, defend against and answer cyber-attacks. Space also is a concern, and Hyten said Russia and China are building capabilities targeting US assets in space - assets that are key to the military advantage America currently enjoys. "We must not only be ready to respond, but we must build a more resilient national security space enterprise," he said. The DOD has developed responses to the threats foreseen in space from China and Russia, Hyten said. "I believe it is essential that we go faster with our responses," he added. "We've worked with the National Reconnaissance Office, and all our joint space forces and developed a joint space vision that looks out and says, ’This is the kind of capability we need to operate in a world where conflict extends into space.'" Speed is essential, the general said. "We are moving much slower in certain areas than our adversaries," he told the Senate panel. "We need our industries and our acquisition process to move faster." Russia is modernizing its military and its nuclear capabilities, and the United States must be aware of this process and keep pace, the general said. "The second piece of this is they've watched the power of our alliances - the power of our partnerships," he said. "They are challenging the status quo across Europe and in Crimea and a number of areas, pushing and creating tension within our partnerships and alliances."
    Dr. James Malachowski, the Director of Historical Services at Headquarters, Air Force Reserve Command, has graduated the first class of the AFRC Historian Apprentice Course.
    On Monday, two off-duty airmen from the Vermont Air National Guard were involved in a private aircraft mishap.
    The senior enlisted advisor of the National Guard Bureau (NGB) has visited the Hawaii Air National Guard.
    Texas Air National Guard members have partnered with Chile's air force during a humanitarian training mission.
    The US Air Force says it will begin making repairs to its grounded F-35s.
    The four pillars of comprehensive airman fitness are mental, physical, social and spiritual. How airmen strengthen each pillar is their own decision, but one senior noncommissioned officer thinks a way to reinforce all of these concepts is found at the top of each American state’s highest point. Most recently, Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Dean Werner, the emergency management program manager for the Air Force Civil Engineer Center, led a hike Aug. 4-6, adding to his list of mountains climbed. "I led a group of 10 airmen to the summit of Granite Peak, Montana, which is considered the most difficult of the 50 state highpoints to conquer, except for Mount Denali, Alaska," Werner said. The climb consisted of tackling 28 miles in three days while gaining more than 7,000 feet of elevation. "The purpose of the challenge is to boost the mental, physical, social and spiritual health of our service members through climbs of each American state’s highest geographical point," Werner said. "Hikes and climbs offer a chance to interact with other airmen, expand one’s comfort zone, and tackle a peak that often looks too big to climb - just like big life problems we each face from time to time." Although the Forest Service estimates only a 10 to 20 percent success rate for this summit, six of the 10 airmen in Werner’s team made it to the top. Risk management was definitely a large part of our success, as there are many very dangerous areas during the climb," the chief said. "We assessed the risks as a team, and as four of our team members realized their experience level did not match the mountain requirements, they made sound decisions to safely head back down the mountain. Part of this challenge is to push yourself past your comfort level," he continued, "and even those who made the decision to turn around definitely pushed themselves past that level and still gained valuable experience to push a little further next time." The team had some close calls with falling rocks and picking the correct route on the final push to the summit, but they all returned safely to the trail head with no injuries, Werner said. Trekking up mountains can be tough, but the chief said he is drawn to the sport specifically because of the physical challenge it presents. "Between the elevation gained, the limited amount of oxygen and the risks involved, mountains provide me with what I use to cope with the other challenges in my life," he explained. "When you challenge yourself with a difficulty you enjoy, sometimes that makes other difficulties less challenging. From 2011 to 2014, I went outside the wire many times in Afghanistan and have since struggled with how that affected me. When I conquer the challenge of a tough summit, my faith tells me I was brought there for a reason: to enjoy that summit that was given to me in that moment." When at the summit of a mountain, Werner said he feels there are more important things in life than dwelling on difficulties. Werner said reaching the summit of a big mountain gives him a lot of satisfaction when he looks down and sees what he went through to get to the mountaintop. Climbing a mountain like that is a brutal workout, he added, but when he reaches the top, he does not feel fatigue or pain - just exhilaration and appreciation. This climb was not the first time Werner has taken on a mountain. He also has climbed Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro and Aconcagua in Argentina. "My first big mountain was Mount Kilimanjaro, and I climbed it while on leave from Afghanistan," Werner said. "Having never climbed a mountain over 15,000 feet before, I didn't know how tough it would be, so I dedicated lots of time to conditioning. My remote camp in Afghanistan didn't have any roads or trails to run on, since our camp was only 200 meters by 200 meters," he continued. "I did all of my training on a treadmill, mostly running, doing interval training, and once each week setting it a max incline of 15 percent and walking with a backpack. I also did a lot of weightlifting and pushups to prepare, as I set a goal of doing 1,000 pushups during the five-day climb.” Werner said he looks forward to his next climb and that he encourages airmen to try this activity if they are looking for a challenge. "Mountains, and especially team climbs with fellow airmen give team members a great chance for camaraderie and confidence-building," Werner said. "I would like to see airmen take advantage of this activity, as the healing powers of the outdoors, and especially mountains, are very beneficial. After a climb, airmen will understand that their climb gave them something that other avenues of assistance for life difficulties could not have. Even if an airman without those difficulties climbed with this program, they will realize that their adventure gave them a level of personal growth and confidence few other means could."
    Smart weapons experts at the Raytheon Co. will provide the US military with a new batch of the GBU-39 small-diameter bomb (SDB) smart munitions under the terms of a $49.2 million contract.
    Major Gen. Joseph Vazquez, the Civil Air Patrol's national commander, has accepted the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award on behalf of the CAP.
    And we've received the following message through our website: "Reports are coming in that after the Compliance Inspection that was held in White Plains, N.Y., there was a large exodus of the New York Wing staff due to the loss of confidence in Col. Steve Perta's ability to command. Col. Perta is covering up a complaint against Capt. Michelle Williams-Swing. The captain was accused by a parent of a cadet for verbally harassing the child via e-mail. The captain was transferred out of the Central New York Group where the incident occurred. Many members of the Central New York Group have complained to the wing commander about Capt. William-Swing's verbal abuse towards cadets. Capt. William-Swing and her husband, Capt. Mark Swing, have recently taken over emergency services with Capt. Rich Levitt and many groups in the New York Wing are not participating in the TRAEX or actual missions due to the negative impact these three members have on the wing membership. Numerous IG complaints about these three members have been filed with the New York Wing over the last two years with no action taken." NOTF called the New York Wing's headquarters this morning and obtained their e-mail address (which wasn't shown on the wing's website). We then sent them a request for comment by e-mail, with a copy sent to the deputy director of public affairs at CAP National Headquarters, but we've received no reply by press time.

FBI says it investigated New York bombing suspect two years ago
Seal of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.svg
    The FBI looked into New York bombing suspect Ahmad Khan Rahami two years ago after his father called with concerns his son was a terrorist, a law enforcement official said yesterday, but the father later retracted the claim and told investigators he just meant his son was hanging out with the wrong crowd.
    In any case, the FBI checked its databases and found nothing connecting Rahami to terror groups, the official said. The father contacted the FBI after Rahami was charged with stabbing his brother, according to the official, who was not authorized to discuss the investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The official said the father, Mohammad Rahami, later said he simply meant his son was hanging out with gangs and acting like a thug.
    The information emerged as the younger Rahami, 28, was being held on $5.2 million bail, charged with the attempted murder of police officers in the shootout that led to his capture on Monday. Federal prosecutors said they were weighing charges over the weekend bombings in New York City and New Jersey that wounded 29 people.
    The disclosure of the father's contacts with the FBI raises questions about whether there was anything more law enforcement could have done at the time to determine whether Rahami had terrorist aspirations. That issue arose after the Orlando, Fla., massacre in June, when FBI Director James Comey said agents had years earlier looked into the gunman, Omar Mateen, but did not find enough information to pursue charges or keep him under investigation. In Rahami's case, the law enforcement official said the FBI had opened up an "assessment," the least intrusive form of an FBI inquiry. Justice Department guidelines restrict the types of actions agents may take; they cannot, for instance, record phone calls without obtaining a higher level of approval or developing more grounds for suspicion.
    Rahami, a U.S. citizen born in Afghanistan, remained hospitalized yesterday after surgery for a gunshot wound to his leg. He was captured in Linden, N.J., after he was discovered sleeping in the doorway of a bar.
    His father told reporters yesterday outside the family's fried-chicken restaurant in Elizabeth, N.J., that he called the FBI two years ago. But asked whether he thought his son was a terrorist, the father said: "No. And the FBI, they know that."
    Ahmad Khan Rahami was arrested in 2014 on charges of stabbing a person in the leg and possession of a firearm. A grand jury declined to indict him, despite a warning from the arresting officer that Rahami was probably "a danger to himself or others."
    William Sweeney, the FBI's assistant director in New York, said on Monday that the FBI had gotten a report of a domestic incident involving Rahami some time ago, but the allegations had been recanted, and "there's nothing to indicate that currently he was on our radar."
    Nor were Afghan intelligence officials aware of either Rahami or his family, said Mohammad Masoom Stanekzai, the director-general of the Afghan National Directorate of Security.
    The bombing investigation began when a pipe bomb blew up on Saturday morning in Seaside Park, N.J., before a charity race to benefit the US Marines. No one was injured. Then a shrapnel-packed pressure-cooker bomb exploded on Saturday night in New York's Chelsea section, wounding 29 people, none seriously. An unexploded pressure-cooker bomb was found blocks away. Late Sunday night, five explosive devices were discovered in a trash can at an Elizabeth, N.J., train station. Investigators have not publicly tied Rahami to those devices.
    Rahami provided investigators with a wealth of clues that led to his arrest just 50 hours after the first explosion, according to three law enforcement officials. His fingerprints and DNA were found at the scene of the Manhattan bombing, they said. His face was clearly captured by surveillance cameras near the spot of the blast. Electronic toll records show a car to which he had access was driven from New Jersey to Manhattan and back to New Jersey on the day of the bombing, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the case. Those and other clues spurred officials to release his name and photo on Monday morning.
    "A lot of technology involved in this, but a lot of good, old-fashioned police work, too," New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill said on Monday.
    Officials said they have no other suspects at large but cautioned they are still investigating.
    Rahami wasn't on any terror or no-fly watch lists, though he had been interviewed for immigration purposes while traveling between the US and Afghanistan, one of the law enforcement officials said.
    Rahami and his family live above their restaurant, First American Fried Chicken, and the family has clashed with the city over closing times and noise complaints, which the Rahamis said in a lawsuit were motivated by dislike of Muslims.
    A childhood friend, Flee Jones, said Rahami had become more religious after returning from a trip to Afghanistan several years ago. Still, some of the restaurant's customers said Rahami was more likely to talk about his interest in cars.
    Stanekzai said it was possible Rahami might have been influenced by "huge networks" of radicalization in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region, or online.

'The Donald' calls for big increases in defense spending

    Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has called for big increases in the US defense budget. He wants at least 50,000 more Army troops, more than 70 new Navy warships, 13 new Marine Corps battalions and more than 100 new warplanes for the US Air Force.

St. Louis County Police launch cadet program
MO - St Louis County Police.png
    Keith Venuto has seen a police officer use an antidote to revive an un-conscious overdose victim. He has helped stand guard at a heated towing dispute, taken fingerprints, run license plates in a database and earned certification as a police dispatcher. And he’s only 19.
    He’s at an age at which people interested in a law enforcement career have limited options for experience outside a classroom; they're too young for the police academy. But it’s a ripe age for someone to lose interest in favor of another field.
    St. Louis County, Mo., police commanders, in serious need of motivated recruits, have created a cadet program to hold on to prospects ages 18-21, like Venuto, by putting them alongside sworn and civilian personnel on the job. Venuto is one of the first six participants in the program, funded by an anonymous benefactor. It’s one of several initiatives to boost the department’s numbers as an exodus of officers, frustrated with salary disparities, continues. After raises and an increase to the starting salary in January 2015, many veteran officers found themselves paid no better than rookies. Now, about 60 percent of the force is at the starting wage, union leaders have said.
    Chief Jon Belmar told the Board of Police Commissioners last month that the hemorrhaging of personnel had slowed to about an officer a week, down from a peak of 1.6 a week in November 2014.
    But the shortage is being felt on the streets. The department is authorized 880 officers and as of August had 863. The effective shortage is about 100, because 17 officers are still in field training, 17 are off on military or other leave, and 46 are still in the academy, according to Lt. Col. Jeff Bader, commander of Operational Support. Training takes long enough that, "We will lose 40 people before a recruit even hits the street," Bader said. Belmar told the police board that although staffing was always a problem, it had been particularly difficult during his 2½ years as chief, which included the pay issue and Ferguson protest fatigue. He said officers were being paid overtime to ensure no beat went unstaffed. He also said that County Executive Steve Stenger had given permission to hire above the authorized strength, because so many on the roster are not available for full duty. He also increased the number of academy classes. But keeping them filled can be challenging. The class of 13 to graduate in October started as 16. The 33 set for graduation in December started as 52. That leads back to the cadet program, and hopes that its participants will enter the academy - and finish. No formal commitment is required for the cadet program.
    Venuto and his counterparts wear khaki-colored uniforms, just like recruits, but with shoulder patches labeled "Cadet." They are paid $7.20 an hour and can work as many as 32 hours every two weeks. The anonymous donor provided enough money to fund 12 cadets at a time.
    The department is seeking participants though community recruiters, including clergy and retired educators, who are in key positions to scout potential officers. They carry brochures in a bag with a St. Louis County Police logo as a subtle way to prompt conversation, said Capt. Norman Mann, head of the Bureau of Staff Services. Mann said that with their varied backgrounds, the recruiters help candidates overcome barriers. A former educator helped one prepare for the written test. A financial planner helped another get his credit in line to qualify. The group referred three of the county’s six cadets.
    Mann said the program sought to attract diversity. Two of the six, including Venuto, are minorities. He said events in Ferguson made him even more committed to police work. "I want to show the community that we are actually good people," he explained.
    A St. Louis County Police Explorer when he attended North County Technical High School, Venuto joined the cadets in May. He said riding with officers had been the highlight so far. Two months in, he was riding along about 10:15 a.m., near Lewis and Clark Boulevard and North Highway 67, when he watched an officer use the antidote Narcan to revive a man who had overdosed on heroin. Another time, Venuto learned that even the most mundane assignment can turn tense. Officer Thomas Keener was in a north St. Louis County neighborhood to supervise towing of a derelict car that had sat on a jack, with one tire missing, for months as it accumulated multiple warning stickers. With little room to maneuver, the wrecker driver scraped a green sedan on the dead-end street. "That’s my car!” its unhappy owner shouted as he ran from a convenience store across the street. A small crowd began to watch. Within minutes, the tow truck company owner arrived. Fearing an escalation of tempers, Keener discretely called for backup and, with another officer, mediated the issues. Ultimately, the derelict was towed, the owners walked away, and Keener and Venuto got back into the patrol car. "That was good," Keener said. "I’m glad you got to see that." "Yeah," Venuto said, smiling. "Me too."
    Related site: The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, www.stltoday.com .

                                                           Page 1