Re: Google Advanced Search Gone

Message has been deleted

test

Nov 2, 2013, 8:50:13 PM11/2/13
>As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
>purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we knew
>it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be their
>intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have made to it
>over the last 6-8 years.
>
>https://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
>
>Now redirects to:
>
>https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview
>
>And of course the Google advanced search directives such as
>insubject:, author:, group: will not work in the search bar (they
>disabled that a year ago).
>
>Pat yourselves on the back, Google. Now you dumbasses just need to
>turn off the ability for Google account-holders to be able to post to
>real Usenet and your work will finally be done. Or will they
>introduce even more poorly formatted message features just to fuck
>with us even more? Only time will tell.
>
>-sw
What is a list of advanced search features you would like to use?
Other than insubject:, author:, and group:?

Thanks.

test

Nov 2, 2013, 9:00:11 PM11/2/13
Also, i can see the advanced search option as a down arrow on google
groups right now, maybe they just reimplemented it?
http://i.imgur.com/Eosfg1C.png

»Q«

Nov 2, 2013, 9:40:21 PM11/2/13
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 00:50:13 +0000
test <5pce9a...@user.narkive.com> wrote:

> What is a list of advanced search features you would like to use?
> Other than insubject:, author:, and group:?

Date ranges, message-ids

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 2, 2013, 10:55:31 PM11/2/13
Yes, "Google Advanced Search" has vanished.
But, now, Google Groups does this:

Some of the Usenet threads/topics I've been in:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/Alt.Free.Newsservers/Jeff$20Relf|sort:date
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/News.Software.Readers/Jeff$20Relf|sort:date
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/Comp.OS.Linux.Advocacy/Jeff$20Relf|sort:date
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/Sci.Physics/Jeff$20Relf|sort:date

Also, you can use Google Groups to point to an article, like this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/alt.free.newsservers/I6gEnVSP8eI/0Eg5aLNbi0UJ

Which is a link to the source, header and all, unformatted.

⋅AND⋅, when you hit the big "Back Arrow" button,
it places you on the proper article, in the thread/topic,
properly formatted, on the proper page of the thread/topic ! !

Sure, you can't search by Message-ID ( which never really worked ),
and you can't really seach all of Usenet ( it's VERY poorly indexed ),
but you can still find/link to your articles, in your newsgroups.

Articles that spawn a huge thread/topic, lots of replies,
are more likely to be indexed, so they appear in a normal Google Search.

Remember, Usenet is a free⋅for⋅all, uncensored/unmoderated.
So, unlike Wikipedia, Usenet articles aren't likely to float
to the top of your search results.
----------
Low⋅Cost, Text⋅Only servers are the fastest and most reliable; to wit:

Glorb: http://glorb.com/contact.php , ask for "unfiltered access".
BlueWorldHosting: http://usenet.blueworldhosting.com

When not overloaded, <some binary servers>[*] are good too; for $5,
you get more than enough gigs, assuming you don't download binaries.
[ *: "usNews.BlockNews.NET:119" and "News.US.Usenet-News.NET:119" ]
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Ralph Fox

Nov 3, 2013, 1:15:12 AM11/3/13
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 19:36:35 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
> purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we knew
> it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be their
> intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have made to it
> over the last 6-8 years.
>
> https://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
>
> Now redirects to:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview

The Google Groups Advanced Search page has moved.

1) This screen-shot shows where you now find Google Groups
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6015/qgj.gif

2) On this Google Groups help page, the 3rd paragraph describes
in words where you now find Google Groups Advanced Search
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46024

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 3, 2013, 1:53:48 AM11/3/13
Here: https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46024

Google Groups solicits feedback ! so I told them: <<

You should mention that, now,
most posts are only indexed/findable
when you confine your search to one-and-only-one newsgroup.

Users need to know that, I think.

Also, you should tell people that, now,
they're unlikely to find what they're looking for
-- even when they KNOW it's there --
via a pan-Usenet search, all groups.

By not telling them this,
you're frustrating your customers, teasing them.

The Message-ID search barely worked before,
now it almost NEVER works, 99% of the time.
Really, I'm surprised you even offer this so-called "option"
-- it's just a tease, nothing more. >>

Phil Boutros

Nov 3, 2013, 2:02:31 AM11/3/13
Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

> The Google Groups Advanced Search page has moved.
>
> 1) This screen-shot shows where you now find Google Groups
> http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6015/qgj.gif
>
> 2) On this Google Groups help page, the 3rd paragraph describes
> in words where you now find Google Groups Advanced Search
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46024

That screenshot helped me figured it out. The arrow does *not*
show up on the overview page, but it does show up in the search box
once you've entered a group.

That....slightly annoying.

Phil
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4 ph...@philb.ca
http://philb.ca EKIII rides with me: http://eddiekieger.com

test

Nov 3, 2013, 5:24:26 AM11/3/13
>On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 23:30:10 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 01:00:11 +0000, test wrote:
>>
>>> Also, i can see the advanced search option as a down arrow on google
>>> groups right now, maybe they just reimplemented it?
>>> http://i.imgur.com/Eosfg1C.png
>>
>> How are you getting to that screen? What's the URL? Does it require
>> an account at Google? I will never, ever, create a Google account.
>
>This is groups.google.com for me. Note there is no down arrow.
>Before I enter anything the search bar input says "Search for groups
>or messages"
>
>http://oi42.tinypic.com/123rwhe.jpg
>
>-sw

I had to select a group to have that arrow appear and yes, i was logged in.
http://i.imgur.com/PrrCRX6.png

Mike Yetto

Nov 3, 2013, 9:19:23 AM11/3/13
In a world where Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
posts to Usenet.
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 19:15:12 +1300, Ralph Fox wrote:

>> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 19:36:35 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
>>> purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we knew
>>> it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be their
>>> intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have made to it
>>> over the last 6-8 years.
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
>>>
>>> Now redirects to:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview
>>
>> The Google Groups Advanced Search page has moved.
>>
>> 1) This screen-shot shows where you now find Google Groups
>> http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6015/qgj.gif

> OK, so you actually have to GO to a group first. And then the
> drop-down menu that asks you which group you want to search, shows
> exactly one group. Of course - that all makes perfect sense! <sigh>

>> 2) On this Google Groups help page, the 3rd paragraph describes
>> in words where you now find Google Groups Advanced Search
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46024

> Who would have ever thought Google updated their help texts or that
> they even made sense.

>>| However, if you need something more specific, we highly recommend
>>| using our advanced search options, which you can access by clicking
>>| the arrow on the right side of the search box. These options allow
>>| you to search for groups or message with these characteristics:

> Except that advanced Search drop-down dialog doesn't exist on the main
> Google groups search page - the one that says "Search for groups or
> messages". So the help page is incomplete and mostly useless. Just
> like the whole Google Groups implementation.

> So it still appears there is no way to search multiple groups. Which
> would be 90%+ of my searches. They purposely broke it, like I said.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is
adequately explained by stupidity.

Mike "and there's never a lack of stupidity" Yetto
--
"If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then
you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots."

Stan Brown

Nov 3, 2013, 9:34:26 AM11/3/13
On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 01:03:22 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
> Except that advanced Search drop-down dialog doesn't exist on the main
> Google groups search page - the one that says "Search for groups or
> messages". So the help page is incomplete and mostly useless. Just
> like the whole Google Groups implementation.
>
> So it still appears there is no way to search multiple groups. Which
> would be 90%+ of my searches. They purposely broke it, like I said.

"Don't be evil", my ass.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Message has been deleted

test

Nov 3, 2013, 10:02:12 AM11/3/13
>On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:19:23 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:
>
>> In a world where Sqwertz <***@cluemail.compost>
>> posts to Usenet.
>>
>>> So it still appears there is no way to search multiple groups. Which
>>> would be 90%+ of my searches. They purposely broke it, like I said.
>>
>> Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is
>> adequately explained by stupidity.
>
>I'm not so sure about that. They have aggressively made Google Groups
>more difficult to use over the years and have always built in a few
>nasty formatting bugs, especially when it comes to interacting with
>Microsoft newsreaders. And then to remove - a page that was not
>accessible VIA links anywhere on their website - and redirect it to a
>page that does not include some of that same functionality.... I'm
>sticking to my malice theory.
>
>-sw
Microsoft newsreaders (if you are talking about charset encoding) deserves
its own class of bugs. They are the problem, not GG.

Mike Yetto

Nov 3, 2013, 10:09:54 AM11/3/13
In a world where Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
posts to Usenet.
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:19:23 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

>> In a world where Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> posts to Usenet.
>>
>>> So it still appears there is no way to search multiple groups. Which
>>> would be 90%+ of my searches. They purposely broke it, like I said.
>>
>> Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is
>> adequately explained by stupidity.

> I'm not so sure about that. They have aggressively made Google Groups
> more difficult to use over the years and have always built in a few
> nasty formatting bugs, especially when it comes to interacting with
> Microsoft newsreaders. And then to remove - a page that was not
> accessible VIA links anywhere on their website - and redirect it to a
> page that does not include some of that same functionality.... I'm
> sticking to my malice theory.

Yeah. I'm not fully convinced either way, but the malice
hypothesis requires a few more assumptions.

Mike "letting Okham's Razor decide" Yetto
--
'We are each entitled to our own opinion, but no one is entitled
to his own facts.'

Mike Yetto

Nov 3, 2013, 10:22:06 AM11/3/13
In a world where test <qlcly3...@user.narkive.com>
posts to Usenet.

>Attribution to Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> restored in
>order to correct (failed) test.
If you don't know how to handle, or even create, attributions you
should not be righting anything that posts to Usenet.

And GG has been the source of many problems on Usenet.

Mike "I fixed this one for you" Yetto
--
"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free
government ought to be to trust no man living with power to

test

Nov 3, 2013, 10:26:47 AM11/3/13
Someone <b...@li.it> posted somewhere:
>In a world where test <qlcly3z6-***@user.narkive.com>
>posts to Usenet.
>
>>Attribution to Sqwertz <***@cluemail.compost> restored in
>>order to correct (failed) test.

>>>I'm not so sure about that. They have aggressively made Google Groups
>>>more difficult to use over the years and have always built in a few
>>>nasty formatting bugs, especially when it comes to interacting with
>>>Microsoft newsreaders. And then to remove - a page that was not
>>>accessible VIA links anywhere on their website - and redirect it to a
>>>page that does not include some of that same functionality.... I'm
>>>sticking to my malice theory.
>>>
>>>-sw
>> Microsoft newsreaders (if you are talking about charset encoding) deserves
>> its own class of bugs. They are the problem, not GG.
>
>If you don't know how to handle, or even create, attributions you
>should not be righting anything that posts to Usenet.
>
>And GG has been the source of many problems on Usenet.
>
>Mike "I fixed this one for you" Yetto
Here is your correct attribution.
My software doesn't do that automatically for me, and this is the reason
why it's temporarily missing.

Satisfied?

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 3, 2013, 12:31:32 PM11/3/13
Andy Rubin is the former Apple/General⋅Magic guy
who, later, founded/ran WebTV ( MSN⋅TV, Microsoft ).

More recently, he founded/ran Google's Android division.
Now, he's influencing Google Groups, apparently.
In his youth, he ran a BBS ( Bulletin Board System ).

When posting via WebTV, you can't crosspost.
When posting via Google Groups, you can't crosspost.

So, likely, this "no cross⋅posting, no pan⋅Usenet" philosophy
is intentional, not a mistake.

Snit

Nov 3, 2013, 12:33:58 PM11/3/13
On 11/3/13, 10:31 AM, in article Jeff-Relf.Me@Nov.3{9.31.Seattle.2013},
And it reduces your ability to spam newsgroups, as you did with this thread.

I can see where you would hate it.

--
"I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children."
-- Richard Stallman

MartinS

Nov 3, 2013, 1:54:28 PM11/3/13
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
> purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we knew
> it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be their
> intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have made to it
> over the last 6-8 years.
>
> https://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
>
> Now redirects to:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview
>
> And of course the Google advanced search directives such as
> insubject:, author:, group: will not work in the search bar (they
> disabled that a year ago).
>
> Pat yourselves on the back, Google. Now you dumbasses just need to
> turn off the ability for Google account-holders to be able to post to
> real Usenet and your work will finally be done. Or will they
> introduce even more poorly formatted message features just to fuck
> with us even more? Only time will tell.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search still works just the same for me
in Canada. The only change is that the other apps (maps, news, etc.) are
accessed through that grid to the left of the sign-in button.

--
Martin S

MartinS

Nov 3, 2013, 1:58:30 PM11/3/13
Sorry, I misread your reference to Google *Groups* advanced search. :(

--
Martin S

Mike Yetto

Nov 3, 2013, 2:53:18 PM11/3/13
In a world where test <cidvdw...@user.narkive.com>
posts to Usenet.
Whose attribution is that? This is a direct response to one of my
posts and yet the attribution line is made up from whole cloth.

> Satisfied?

Even less so than before.

Mike "learn how to create attribution lines" Yetto
--
"I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose
the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations

Harold Stevens

Nov 3, 2013, 3:58:36 PM11/3/13
In <slrn20131103145...@may.eternal-september.org> Mike Yetto:

[Snip...]

> Even less so than before.

+1

FWIW: I lean toward sockpuppet(s) from Ralphie of Seattle. Yes, again.

I toss GoogleGroup (http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/).

Bert

Nov 3, 2013, 5:02:08 PM11/3/13
In news:faqb79ta2ihahf50r...@4ax.com Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-
.invalid> wrote:

> 1) This screen-shot shows where you now find Google Groups
> http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6015/qgj.gif

Except that it doesn't actually work, at least not as one might hope, or
expect.

Doing a simple search "author:be...@iphouse.com" returns

No results found

So, I'd agree with the OP, that the search is gone.

--
be...@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

tlvp

Nov 3, 2013, 11:10:10 PM11/3/13
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:09:54 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> In a world where Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> posts to Usenet.

Funny. Ends with a period, starts with an upper-case -- hence looks like a
full sentence -- but it sure don't scan like any sentence at all -- scans
like a compound introductory prepositional phrase, with a subordinate
clause as object, hence should be terminated not with period but with
either comma or colon, and followed by a complete primary clause.

Just my two cents worth. Don't like it? don't pay it :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Mike Yetto

Nov 4, 2013, 8:24:58 AM11/4/13
In a world where tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>
posts to Usenet...
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:09:54 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

>> In a world where Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
>> posts to Usenet.

> Funny. Ends with a period, starts with an upper-case -- hence looks like a
> full sentence -- but it sure don't scan like any sentence at all -- scans
> like a compound introductory prepositional phrase, with a subordinate
> clause as object, hence should be terminated not with period but with
> either comma or colon, and followed by a complete primary clause.

You are really Dave Barry disguised as Mr. Language Person aren't you?

> Just my two cents worth. Don't like it? don't pay it :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

Mike "is this version better?" Yetto
--
"The easy confidence with which I know another man`s religion is
folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also."

Mike Yetto

Nov 4, 2013, 4:35:29 PM11/4/13
In a world where Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
posts to Usenet...
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 15:02:12 +0000, test wrote:

>>>On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:19:23 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:
>>
>>>I'm not so sure about that. They have aggressively made Google Groups
>>>more difficult to use over the years and have always built in a few
>>>nasty formatting bugs, especially when it comes to interacting with
>>>Microsoft newsreaders. And then to remove - a page that was not
>>>accessible VIA links anywhere on their website - and redirect it to a
>>>page that does not include some of that same functionality.... I'm
>>>sticking to my malice theory.
>>>
>> Microsoft newsreaders (if you are talking about charset encoding) deserves
>> its own class of bugs. They are the problem, not GG.

> Then there's the issue of the double, triple, and quadruple-spaced
> posts all courtesy of Google posters, not to mention the 5,000
> character long lines...

I would really like test to get the attribution correct at leasst
once. I am attributed here, but not actually quoted.

Mike "more like failed test" Yetto
--
"Doubt grows with knowledge." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Message has been deleted

unruh

Nov 4, 2013, 5:14:24 PM11/4/13
And it is relatively clear since your attribution
has 4 > in front of it, and the quoted passages also have 4. If they had
come from you, your line would have had three > and the quoted material
would have had 4. Ie, for those with the knowledge, that this is not
attributed to you is clear. Of course for the casual reader, it might
not be.
But then apparent misattribution is a constant thorn in netnews which
really does not matter that much, since noone remembers what you said
anyway.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 4, 2013, 5:37:46 PM11/4/13

@unruh,  You wrote:
> apparent misattribution is a constant thorn in netnews
> which really does not matter that much,
> since no one remembers what you said anyway.

Posting to Usenet is like chatting in a bar;
only the bar has no bouncers, no limits.

Consequently, Google is indexing it less and less;
and no one else is willing to do it.

I keep searchable record of what I wrote/quoted, but that's it.

tlvp

Nov 4, 2013, 10:33:51 PM11/4/13
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:24:58 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> In a world where tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>
> posts to Usenet...
> ... [snip] ...
> Mike "is this version better?" Yetto

Much. (You do see why, don't you?) Thanks. Cheers, -- tlvp
Message has been deleted

Mike Yetto

Nov 5, 2013, 10:48:39 AM11/5/13
In a world where unruh <un...@invalid.ca>
posts to Usenet...
What is even more abundantly clear than your pedantic obviousness
is the fact that anything posted by test has borked attributions.
This is probably because he is in a race with JR to reinvent
Google Groups and Usenet. His focus is modified attribution lines
and overly complex thread navigation.

Mike "do *you* have a focus?" Yetto
--
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice they
are not.

Nil

Nov 7, 2013, 4:40:45 PM11/7/13
On 02 Nov 2013, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in
news.software.readers:

> As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
> purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we
> knew it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be
> their intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have
> made to it over the last 6-8 years.
>
> https://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en&
>
> Now redirects to:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&hl=en#!overview
>
> And of course the Google advanced search directives such as
> insubject:, author:, group: will not work in the search bar (they
> disabled that a year ago).

There seems to be at least some vestiges of the search engine still
alive. Xnews has a feature that offers to search Google for a previous
message if it's not on the current news server. It sends the Message-ID
in question to the URL
<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_umsgid=%m>. The %m variable
must be the MID. Anyway, that function of GG still works, so maybe
others do, too, even if we don't have a web interface.

Jeff-Relf.Me

Nov 7, 2013, 5:42:25 PM11/7/13
Nil│rednoise, What makes you think this still works ?:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_umsgid=52b56$5277fadb$c777789e$66...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com

The post/Message-ID is 3+ Days old; yet Google can't find it.

Now, Google wants a URL like this:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/messageid$3A52b56$245277fadb$24c777789e$246...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com

Shmuel Metz

Nov 11, 2013, 7:26:45 AM11/11/13
In <ggZ0cCRh-XOK...@narkive.com>, on 11/03/2013
at 03:02 PM, test <qlcly3...@user.narkive.com> said:

>Microsoft newsreaders (if you are talking about charset encoding)
>deserves its own class of bugs. They are the problem, not GG.

There's more than one problem.

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

daniel....@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2014, 3:32:52 PM1/6/14
I just ran into this. Somebody asked me what my old bang style
email addresses were, so I went to search for all my old usenet
articles... and discovered I couldn't :-(

Google groups team, please bring back advanced search for the whole
archive rather than just for individual groups.

Thanks!

Whiskers

Jan 6, 2014, 5:38:08 PM1/6/14
Write to Google, if you want them to get the message.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

D.F. Manno

Jan 6, 2014, 6:22:57 PM1/6/14
In article <slrnlcmc2g.3...@ID-107770.user.individual.net>,
Ha! Like Google cares.

Always remember, at Google you are not the customer, you're the product.

--
D.F. Manno | dfm...@mail.com
GOP delenda est!

Jeff-Relf.Me

Jan 6, 2014, 6:57:09 PM1/6/14
To the Google Giant, you're a fly that needs swatting.

If you want to find posts, archive them yourself.

If you want to make a more⋅lasting contribution,
edit WikiPedia ( or some such ).

My posts to Usenet ( since February, 2012 ):

http://Jeff-Relf.Me/╱╲⋅N.TXT

Whose posts I read first:

News.Software.Readers: http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Rdr_Regs.HTM
Comp.OS.Linux.Advocacy: http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Cola_Regs.HTM
Sci.Physics: http://Jeff-Relf.Me/Phy_Regs.HTM

Robert Miles

Jan 6, 2014, 11:20:59 PM1/6/14
On Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:36:35 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
[snip]

Something similar is now available, but no longer called advanced search.

Enter the newsgroup you want to search, then click the triangle at the right of the Search for topics box. This does not work if you have not selected which newsgroup to search.

Note that the search will not allow you to go on the displaying the messages even if it finds the thread(s) in newsgroups with at least one "+" character in their names. Click the triangle to the right of the gear, then Report an issue about Google Groups if you want to complain about this. I've already complained several times, but they appear to be waiting for more to complain.

Mike Yetto

Jan 7, 2014, 8:07:14 AM1/7/14
In a world where Robert Miles <robertm...@gmail.com>
posts to Usenet...
You are describing a search within Google Groups. What is wanted
is a reliable advanced search functionality for the Usenet
archive (aka Deja Google).

Mike "GG != Usenet" Yetto
--
"I believe that clear-minded people should remain two things
throughout their lifetimes: curious and teachable."

tyc...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2014, 10:31:45 AM8/11/14
On Saturday, 2 November 2013 20:36:35 UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
> purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we knew
> it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be their
> intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have made to it
> over the last 6-8 years.

This pisses me the hell off. How recently did they do this? I seem to remember at one point being able to do a date-range based search. It was incredibly useful since Wiktionary accepts Usenet as a place to gather examples of word usage (helpful for our modern slang).

Now... I can't do anything with this. I click "sorted by date" thinking "oh, well, this will give me some advanced options after I click it..." and... nothing.

This appears to roughly organize things from most-recent to oldest... except it can't even do something that simple properly. Although most of it seems to follow this pattern, in a lot of cases more recent posts will be seeded amongst the older ones.

Something as simple as a 'oldest to newest' (reversing the result order) isn't even included... WTF...

Finding old stuff on Usenet is mainly why I came here. I'm more interested in what internet slang meant in 80s/90s, could care less how people use it in 2000s/2010s.

Since Google has dropped the ball on this, does anyone know if there is a solution if we want the featured that Advanced Search once offered to us? Are there any ways to search Usenet with such means via another web site?

Whiskers

Aug 11, 2014, 11:24:56 AM8/11/14
On 2014-08-11, tyc...@gmail.com <tyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 2 November 2013 20:36:35 UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>> As I predicted, Google finally found out that the Google Groups
>> purposely destroyed it. Making it the end of Deja-Google as we knew
>> it. Google Groups is now 110% useless - which seemed to be their
>> intention with all the detrimental "improvements" they have made to
>> it over the last 6-8 years.

[...]

> Finding old stuff on Usenet is mainly why I came here. I'm more
> interested in what internet slang meant in 80s/90s, could care less
> how people use it in 2000s/2010s.
>
> Since Google has dropped the ball on this, does anyone know if there
> is a solution if we want the featured that Advanced Search once
> offered to us? Are there any ways to search Usenet with such means via
> another web site?

Some News Service Providers offer web-browser access, and some claim to
have very long or unlimited 'retention' of articles in text only groups.
Once you have an account with an NSP, you can of course use a normal
newsreader or telnet or SSH to search for things.

<http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Feed_Services/>

Jeff-Relf.Me

Aug 11, 2014, 3:42:20 PM8/11/14

Quoting <www.GigaNews.COM>:

  We deliver a world leading [ 6 years ] of binary retention
  and more than 8.5 years of text retention.
  [ often, it's over 10 years deep, I've noticed ]

Quoting <www.GigaNews.COM/mimo/>:

  Mimo is included free for all accounts
  Mimo Usenet Search Features:

    · Dynamic indexing of Giganews' multi-year retention
    · Searches across all groups
    · Subject-based searching
    · Filtering based on text, binaries and images
Message has been deleted

thoma...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 11:42:09 AM2/25/15
I've been using the search terms described here: https://support.google.com/groups/answer/2371405?hl=en

They've given me advanced search capabilities as recently as a month ago. I've used them many times to find old postings. It's been an invaluable resource on the history of the Internet. But today they are not working at all.

Also, even though it claims the results are sorted by date, they are not. And there is no option to reverse-sort by date.

It's bizarre that they originally worked so hard to gather up these old USENET postings, and now they seem to be working hard to make sure there is no way at all to access them.

tom