FAQ: Old Time Radio (OTR)

Lou Genco

Oct 25, 2000, 9:28:30 PM10/25/00
Archive-name: radio/old-time-faq
Posting-Frequency: quarterly
Last-modified: 10/17/00

The Official Old-Time Radio (OTR) FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) File
for OTR
(Old-Time Radio)

Last Modified: Tuesday, October 17, 2000

Copies of this FAQ are distributed monthly to rec.answers,
rec.radio.info, rec.radio.broadcasting, rec.antiques.radio+phono and
other news groups; and are on file at bloom-picayune.mit.edu in the
file: /pub/usenet-by-group/news.answers/radio/old-time-faq. A recent
text version can usually be found at
http://www.old-time.com/ffiles/otr.faq The most recent HTML-ized
version is at http://www.old-time.com/otrfaq.html

Table of contents:

Q01. What is "OTR"?
Q02. You haven't mentioned OTR music, why not?
Q03. Where can I buy recordings of old radio shows?
Q04. Which vendors have (lower prices) (higher quality) (faster
response)?
Q05. Are OTR shows rebroadcast? If so, where and when?
Q06. I remember a great show called (x). When was it aired?
Q07. Are there any books about OTR?
Q08. Does anybody trade tapes of OTR shows?
Q09. What's this stuff about Copyright?
Q10. How can I get my local radio or TV station to broadcast OTR
programming?
Q11. I have some old transcriptions and tapes, how can I make them
sound better?
Q12. Are there any OTR clubs near me?
Q13. I have some OTR tapes of the same program, but their dates are
different. Why?
Q14. Is there anywhere I can get a complete listing of all the
episodes in a serial?
Q15. Is there anywhere I can get a written synopsis of the plots or
themes of OTR programs?
Q16. Is there a World Wide Web page (URL) I can access for more info?
Q17. Is there an email newsletter on OTR? How do I subscribe to it?
Q18. What ever happened to the person that played [insert character]
on [insert name of show]?
Q19. What is the best way to archive OTR programs?
Q20. My old reels squeak. Why does this happen, and can I fix it?
Q21. Where can I find more information about antique radios?
Q22. What is the best radio / antenna to get distant OTR stations?
Q23. Is there a group for modern radio drama ("new-time radio")?
Q24. I have only email access to the Net. Can I still get the files
at your site?
Q25. I have never heard "Old Time Radio". Can I get an audio sample
via Internet?
Q26. I have lots of loose OTR cassettes filling my drawers. Is there
a better way to store these things?
Q27. All this new software is a bit difficult for me to use, as I am
blind. Can you give me any assistance on how to access your page?
Q28. I am interested in re-creating some OTR drama. Where can I get
scripts?
Q29. I can hear what sounds like another program playing in the
background on many of my OTR tapes. Is this due to the tuning on the
old radio or to the tape recorder that recorded the program?
Q30. Can I chat with other OTR fans on the internet?
Q31. Where can I buy 1970s CBS Radio Mystery Theater programs?
Q32. Is there an internet news group for old time radio?
Q33. OTR network shows were usually heard at the same local time, no
matter what the time zone. How did they do this?
Q34. I'd like all the information there is about [insert name of OTR
show]. Is there a FAQ that covers all the shows ever on the radio?
Q35. Is there any information on OTR conventions?
Q36. Are there any WWW Bulletin Boards where I can post OTR questions
and read OTR information?
Q37. I would like to find recordings of [fill in rare OTR show name].
I have seen the show mentioned in Jay Hickerson's book, but haven't
seen the show in any of the paper or on-line catalogs. How do I get
this show?
Q38. I see a lot of OTR MP3s on the WWW. Are these worth collecting?
How about the OTR CD-ROMs being offered on the WWW, are they worth
the money?
Q39. Were any of the old-time radio personalities interviewed
recently? Where can I find these interviews?
Q40. What MP3 player is best for OTR?

Q01. What is "OTR"?

A01. OTR is an acronym for "Old Time Radio", a term loosely applied
to radio programs broadcast from the dawn of broadcasting to the very
early 1960s. Alternate names are "radio nostalgia", "golden age
radio", etc. Usually this applies to radio drama, mystery stories,
comedy and adventures. Some individuals classify the resurgence of
this type of radio programming in the '60s and '70s as "Revival
Radio", and similar programming since the '70s as "Modern Radio
Drama". Purists even discriminate between the "Golden Age" (late '30s
and the decade of the '40s) and the "Silver Age" ('50s). In any case,
there are plenty of programs of various types that are enjoyable
entertainment. Best of all, they don't require a large screen TV to
enjoy 'em -- the "visuals" are provided by the listener's
imagination.

Q02. You haven't mentioned OTR music, why not?

A02. There was a good deal of big band, bluegrass, country and other
music broadcast during this era. For some reason, there seems to be
more current interest in the dramas rather than in the music. You
will find much more discussion about this topic in alt.music.big-band
or the various news groups specializing in music of various types.
Bluegrass fans might enjoy the Old Time Music on the Radio WWW pages.
(They happen to use the same acronym, "OTR", but are not affiliated
with The Original Old-Time Radio (OTR) pages). In addition, there is
a Big Band and Other OTR Music BBS at www.old-time.com/otrbbss.html/

Q03. Where can I buy recordings of old radio shows?

A03. There are several individuals and companies willing to sell
tapes and CDs of OTR programs. A partial list can be obtained from
the www.old-time.com site. Many public libraries have a small stock
for perusal as well. Some vendors and collectors even have their own
WWW pages.

Q04. Which vendors have (lower prices) (higher quality) (faster
response)?

A04. Prices, quality and service differ somewhat among all vendors.
Check with other OTR fans to learn of their experiences, then check
with potential vendors.

A comparative price chart, listing many vendors, is available at the
www.old-time.com site.

Audio quality is an important consideration when purchasing recorded
tapes. As yet, there is no "standardized" description of sound
quality. Jim Widner and other OTR collectors have suggested various
metrics to describe the quality of OTR recordings. Discussion of
these standardized descriptors is summarized at the www.old-time.com
site

Q05. Are OTR shows rebroadcast? If so, where and when?

A05. Yes, several AM and FM radio stations, satellite feeds, a
shortwave station, and at least one Public Access TV station
rebroadcast OTR. Check the Old-Time WWW page for current info. If you
learn of other sources, leave a note!

For AM listening, try the National Radio Club's AM Radio Log, 17th
Edition: Complete Listing of U.S. and Canada AM Radio Stations
(Mannsville, N.Y.: NRC, 1997). All AM stations carrying things like
"Old Time Radio" are listed with the format code NOS (Nostalgia), and
there are lots of other codes. [Order from NRC Publications, Box 164,
Mannsville NY 13661-0164 USA. Price is: $22.95 post paid]

For FM listening, try Bruce F. Elving's FM Atlas (Esko, MN: FM Atlas
Pub., 1993). Alongside lists, this has maps of your area and its
stations as well. [Order from Bruce Elving, PO Box 336, Esko MN
55733-0336. Price Range: $11.00 + approx. $1.00 s/h]

The M Street Radio Directory, M Street at +1 615-251-1525 voice, or
+1 615-251-8798 FAX. The address is M Street Corp., PO Box 23150
Nashville, TN 37202 The price for the 8th edition is $65.00 plus S&H

Q06. I remember a great show called (x). When was it aired?

A06. If the show was heard nationwide, look through the program
databases / logs at the Old-Time site or at Jerry Haendiges' site
(see answer A14 below). If the show was only on local radio, you will
have more difficulty in finding an answer. Checking with your local
radio stations is probably the best bet.

Q07. Are there any books about OTR?

A07. Yes, there are many books related to OTR. See the
www.old-time.com site for a bibliography of several hundred books.
There is also a page where you can read or enter critiques or reviews
of various books on OTR.

Jim Widner and Everett L. Slosman left this address for a bookstore
specializing in OTR books:

Rainy Day Books
P.O. Box 775, Rt. 119
Fitzwilliam, NH 03447
(603)585-3448

Bob Crump reminded us that most good used book stores will do a
nationwide search for a title, if given enough time. Henry Brugsch
related a good experience with the following on-line bookstore:

Acorn Books acor...@netcom.com

There are also several "book finding" services that will help obtain
old/out of print books for a fee.

Q08. Does anybody trade tapes of OTR shows?

A08. Yes. Check with the various on-line OTR services. Leave a note
in the OTR Digest, alt.radio.oldtime, or Ray Plumlee's OTR Traders
BBS at http://otr-trader.com/ Remember to observe copyright laws!

Q09. What's this stuff about Copyright?

A9. The copyrights on some OTR shows have expired. Several copyrights
have been renewed, and some may have fallen under "common law"
copyright (even though they were not originally copyrighted). 1970s
era Berne Convention agreements further cloud the issue for
non-lawyers. See the Old-Time WWW site for the latest "common sense"
and legal citations.

A concise answer was given by 'A. Joseph Ross' (law...@world.std.com)
(used with his permission):

Just to get a little perspective in this
controversy, copyrights do expire. Under the old
copyright law, a copyright was good for 28 years
from the date of first publication, renewable for
another 28 years, for a total of 56. Under the 1976
act, those copyrights were extended to 75 years,
provided they were renewed. Copyrights under the new
law, which took effect on 1 January 1978, are good
for the life of the author plus 50 years. Copyrights
on anonymous works, works made for hire, etc. are
good for 75 years after first publication.

So, since otr has just barely been around for 75
years, little or none of it is in the public domain
yet by reason of having been around for a long time.
The question of what constitutes publication, and
the fact that sound recordings could not be
independently copyrighted until the new law took
effect add additional complications.

Q10. How can I get my local radio or TV station to broadcast OTR
programming?

A10. Call the station and tell them of the many people who like to
listen to OTR. Suggest this programming will increase the number of
listeners and help buy things from their advertisers.

Shawn Fulper-Smith (sha...@cc1.uca.edu), a managing director of a
non-commercial station, tells us:

The days of radio being ruled by the artisans is over, and
for some time now it has been in the hands of people who
only look at the bottom line, so to reach them you must
talk through public radio pledges, or through sponsors
on commercial stations.

Don Fisher (dfi...@sover.net) has been successful in getting his
local Public Access TV station to rebroadcast OTR. In fact, Don is
the MC of the program. Contact him for hints on how to get your
Public Access TV station to do something similar.

Elizabeth McLeod (liz...@midcoast.com), who has spent more than 15
years working in local radio, gave the following advice:

I can tell you that one phone call from a listener
means absolutely nothing to a program director. PD's
are totally under the thumbs of their General
Managers -- and GMs, in turn, base their decisions
EXCLUSIVELY on sales issues. It doesn't matter how
many people want to hear something -- if the GM
doesn't think he can sell it, if the GM doesn't
think it'll bring hard cash into the station, it
won't get on the air. Period.

The only reason a commercial station exists is to
make money for its owners. ALL decisions at the
station, be they about programming or anything else,
are made with this in mind.

Don't bother to approach the station itself, APPROACH
THE STATION'S ADVERTISERS!!!

Listen to the station and figure out who its biggest
sponsors are. Generally, they'll be local banks, car
dealers, insurance agencies, and appliance
retailers. Do you know anyone connected with these
advertisers? Then approach these people. Tell them
you've heard their ads on such and such a station,
and that you think a lot of people would be
interested in hearing OTR, and that advertising on
an OTR series might be a good strategy. And get your
friends to do the same. And be persistent! In other
words, SELL THEM ON THE IDEA!

You need to keep in mind that some types of stations
are more likely to air OTR than others. If your
local station is has a firmly-defined format, you
are probably "S-O-L," as the saying goes. They won't
break format, no matter what. On the other hand, if
you have a local non-commercial community-type
station, way up on the left side of the FM dial, you
may have a very good chance of success.

Q11. I have some old transcriptions and tapes, how can I make them
sound better?

A11. You might try using a good equalizer and/or digital signal
processing (DSP) unit between the playback and recording devices.
Some people have mentioned that the Radio Shack DSP unit does a fair
job. There are also other, more expensive DSP units available from
Ham radio stores and audio stores. Some subscribers have attested to
the efficacy of the Timewave brand of DSP units.

There are several computer programs available to convert analog
sounds (as on a tape) to a digital format (e.g. WAV file). Some of
these computer programs also have noise reduction, filtering and
enhancement capabilities. In many cases, application of digital
technology will improve the sound of a noisy or deteriorating analog
tape. There is a problem, however, if the digitized rendition is
re-recorded to tape, and subsequently re-digitized for further
treatment. Since digitization is a sampling technique, sampling a
sample can result in extremely degraded sound patterns.

A very nice program that will convert analog material to digital
format is Audiotools by Andrew Fish. For more information on this
software, visit the Audiotools BBS at www.old-time.com/otrbbss.html
or Andrew's site at http://www.btinternet.com/~amfish/index.htm

From: hho...@mindspring.com (Henry Howard)

For cassette machines (and reel to reels for that matter)
occasionally take a "Y" cord and connect the output of
your cassette player to both "sides" of the "Y". Plug the
combined side of the "Y" into your stereo. If the sound
is mush(ier) than what you hear normally, you have a head
alignment problem (assuming that the tape you are
listening to was properly aligned.)

From: Ron_B...@livewire.com (Ron B. Hare)

Dolby HX on the recording deck makes an audible
difference. Other audio optimization features are of
negligible value for OTR. Dolby HX also requires no
playback decoder.

[Dolby HX uses or "preserves" the Dolby noise reduction method of the
master tape when duplicating - ed.]

Q12. Are there any OTR clubs near me?

A12. Check the club listings in the Old-Time WWW page, and leave a
note in one of the on-line OTR groups asking about local clubs for
your area. If you find a club that is not listed at www.old-time.com,
ask a club officer to send a note to the webmaster with particulars
about the club.

Q13. I have some OTR tapes of the same program, but their dates are
different. Why?

A13. Sometimes broadcasts are dated according to their original
broadcast date, and sometimes according to a date on which they have
been rebroadcast. For instance, the Armed Forces Radio Service
rebroadcast many Mutual Radio transcriptions at a later date. Your
tape may be of one of these later dates. Alternately, somebody might
have made a mis-typopgoof.

Finally, some shows -were- broadcast more than once, and sometimes on
different programs! For instance, a few Suspense shows were
re-scripted / re-cast for Escape. You might also find similarities
between certain SF shows as done on X Minus 1 and Dimension X.

Q14. Is there any place where I can get a complete listing of all the
episodes in a particular program series?

A14. Some on-line OTR collectors have contributed Program Logs for
several well-known series. The logs are available at
www.old-time.com/otrlogs/ . While you are logged in at that site,
check the "Humongous OTR Database" (a database of contributed
catalogs and libraries), which is searchable with your WWW browser.

The "logs and publications" entry at the Old-Time WWW site gives
names and addresses of several vendors of these items (thanks to
Radi...@aol.com (Joe Coleman) and others).

Jerry Haendiges maintains a VERY complete set of OTR program logs, at
his Vintage Radio Place: (http://www.otrsite.com/radiolog )

Jay Hickerson maintains several logs and lists, as well as -Hello
Again-, an OTR newsletter. Jay is the author of The Ultimate History
of Network Radio Programming and Guide to All Circulating Shows. You
can see more info at http://www.old-time.com/sponsors/hickerson.html

Jay's address is:

Jay Hickerson Jay...@aol.com
Box 4321
Hamden, CT 06514
(203) 248-2887 FAX (203) 281-1322

Q15. Is there any place where I can get a written synopsis of the
plots or themes of OTR programs?

A15. Again, some vendors include this information with their
catalogs. If you would like to contribute your interpretations of OTR
plots or themes, send them to the on-line OTR services or to
webm...@old-time.com for inclusion in one of the databases.

Jim Widner and others have contributed some synopses / introductions
to various programs. They are on file at http://www.otr.com and
http://www.old-time.com.

David Hassell maintains a growing selection of program summaries at
http://members.aol.com/DavidLHsl/otr/otrlist.html

Also check Frank Passage's logs at the old-time WWW site; most
contain a short synopsis of the program.

Many of Jerry Haendiges' logs contain excellent summaries of not only
the program series, but of each episode as well.

Many of the local and national OTR clubs maintain informational
libraries with this material.

Q16. Is there a World Wide Web page (URL) that I can access for more
information?

A16. Yes, there are several WWW sites. Each site contains different
information, so you might want to visit them all. The major OTR WWW
sites all have links or pointers to each other, so you can explore
many topical areas within old time radio. Good places to start
exploring are:
www.old-time.com
or www.otr.com
or www.otrsite.com

A fairly lengthy list of WWW sites with some kind of OTR affiliation
is maintained at www.pe.net/~rnovak/jack.htm

An excellent database of OTR-related WWW sites, with an explanation
of the contents of each is at
www.otr.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/otr/db.cgi?uid=default

Q17. Is there an email newsletter on OTR? How do I subscribe to it?

A17. At least two email newsletters currently exist.

The Old-Time Radio Digest (AKA "Internet OTR Digest") is a very
popular and freely available electronic newsletter, delivered
nightly. Its purpose is to foster general discussions about the hobby
of collecting, preserving and listening to OTR. To subscribe, send an
email

TO: old.time.ra...@oldradio.net
SUBJECT: subscribe
(The body of the message is ignored)

A general discussion list, "OldRadio", is maintained by a long-time
OTR fan, participant in many OTR conventions, and internet guru,
promises spam-free editions with good "flame" and off-topic
prevention, as well as articles by guest experts. To subscribe, send
email

To: oldradio...@oldradio.net
Subject: Subscribe
(The body of the message is ignored)

Q18. What ever happened to the person that played [insert character]
on [insert name of show]?

A18. Check the "Personality Pages" at www.old-time.com for home
pages of several well-known OTR personalities. Also check the Where
Are They Now pages at www.440int.com.

Q19. What is the best way to archive OTR programs?

A19. The most popular way seemed to be reel-reel tapes, using each of
the four tracks to record monophonically. Modern reel machines are in
the > $2,000 range, and used open reel machines are becoming harder
to find.

Purists claim open reel tapes are best stored "tails out", in which
the tape is played (not fast-forwarded) onto the take-up reel. This
method of storage makes "print through" of the magnetic sound image a
little less noticeable because the "echo" will come before the louder
sound that caused it, and be somewhat masked by the louder sound.

Cassettes are generally fine for portability / ease of use /
exchange, but they suffer from several problems when used as a
long-term storage medium. These problems include "overwinding" and
splitting of the tape at the leader. Because of their thinner track
width and slower speed (1 7/8 IPS), the density of the information is
greater than with wider and faster (3 3/4 IPS or 7 1/2 IPS) reel
tapes. This leads to a greater loss of signal (particularly high
frequencies) over time.

The Hi-Fi VHS tape is gaining in popularity because of its six-hour
storage capability and relatively robust mechanical construction.
"Hi-Fi" decks need no video signal to synch the systems, and can thus
record audio without an accompanying video signal. One T-120 Stereo
Hi-Fi VHS cassette can easily hold 12 hours of OTR audio (recorded
monophonically on the right and left channels independently). If the
linear track can be accessed independently, this will add six more
hours of recording time. There is very little fidelity loss when
using this medium to duplicate programs.

Conrad Trautmann (CONRA...@delphi.com) left this note in response
to a query about finding used reel-reel machines:

You can also call Harris/Allied used equipment division at
1-800-622-0022 or call Radio World magazine at
703-998-7600 for subscription information. Radio World is
an industry trade and has used equipment listings in the
classifieds once a month.

(Jim Blackie [jbla...@aol.com] indicates that the Harris/Allied
number has changed to: 1-800-300-0733.)

From: vin...@infohouse.com (Andy Blatt)

I wholeheartedly recommend Play It Again, Sam of Lakewood,
Ohio. They also sell used Pioneer reel decks with a
warranty and accept major credit cards for repair or used
machines. The address is 12611 Madison Avenue in Lakewood,
Ohio 44107. The phone number (no answering machine, no fax
machine) is 216-228-7330. As far as pitch control cassette
decks, Marantz offers several one of which is the three-head
portable PMD-430.

[Play It Again Sam has a WWW page at www.playitagainsam.com - ed]

Richard Novak (rno...@ix.netcom.com) wrote this informative note on
using Hi-Fi VHS as an archival medium:

To clear up any misunderstandings concerning VHS HiFi machines
and their ability to record audio, I offer the following..

It should be understood that what distinguishes a HiFi
machine from a linear machine is that the audio track is
recorded helically (diagonally) on the tape along with the
video track. On linear machines the audio is recorded at the
upper edge of the tape (and a control track at the lower
edge, if anyone wonders what the extra head is for.)

On a HiFi VHS the audio is not recorded as an analog signal
as would be the case with linear recording. Instead the
analog audio signal frequency-modulates a carrier which is
then recorded between the video tracks. A duplicate signal
is also recorded linearly to maintain compatibility with
linear VCRs. The FM signal recorded on the HiFi track should
not be confused with FM radio broadcasts. One of my
customers thought the FM switch on his HiFi was for
recording FM from the radio. Today's machines no longer use
the label "FM", instead use "HiFi". Less confusing.

The sound recorded from FM radio broadcasts (or any other
source) onto HiFi VCRs is virtually indistinguishable from
the source. The material can be dubbed to cassette with no
generation loss.

There is no difference in audio quality using either six
hour or two hour mode.

It is true that at slower speeds the diagonal tracks are
closer together. This does degrade the video signal as
anyone knows who has compared six hour video with two hour
video. But does not degrade the FM carrier with the audio
track.

The tape writing speed of the audio track in HiFi mode is
the same regardless of linear speed. This is because the
head speed remains constant and is independent of the linear
tape speed.

Worked it out once and it is around seven meters per second.
Whatever it is, it's a whole bunch faster than 7 1/2 inches
per second. If anyone really wants to know the writing
speed, it is the circumference of the upper cylinder (or
video head) multiplied by the rotational speed which is 30
revolutions per second, or 1800 revolutions per minute. (Two
heads 180 degrees apart at thirty rps results in 60 frames
per second.)

Who cares how it works.. The point is that VHS HiFi is the
best and cheapest medium around for recording masters. But
not for archiving. Most experts still agree that reel to
reel is the best and most reliable method of archiving.
(Sticky shed syndrome from the 70s notwithstanding.)

Although Bob Burnham does not like dubbing (two-well) cassette decks
for producing highest-quality cassette tapes, he does have a few
recommendations:

One of the BEST dubbing decks (if you must use one) is
made by Denon. Both sides can record at the same time
and both sides have pitch control, and both sides have
separate output jacks for connecting to other
equipment.... almost like TWO (click) TWO (click) TWO
DECKS in one. Tascam (Teac's pro division) also recently
introduced their model 303 double deck. If it's anything
like the 202 MKII, it's probably not worth it. You pay a
high price for the name, but still basically consumer
grade inside and lots of plastic. Denon is better.

I mentioned Kingdom Tapes in Mansfield, PA as a good
source for cassette copiers, and equipment servicing.
All the duplicators I have in use today came from this
company. They have all the major brands (plus their own
house brand), also tape decks, blank cassettes, etc.
Great service (same day usually available). They'll beat
anyone's price on cassette dubbers. 800-788-1122. Fax is
717-662-3875.

Bob Burnham / BRC Productions / P.O. Box 2645 / Livonia,
MI 48151 plat...@gatecom.com / plat...@eworld.com

Several hobbyists are now investigating the utility of using CD-ROM
or MiniDisks for archival purposes. CD-ROMs can hold hundreds of
hours of program material, but at the cost of time-consuming
conversion from analog to digital representations. Selection of
appropriate encoding and compression technologies is extremely
important to prevent digital artifacts. MP3 (MPEG III) compression
seems to be more favored than is RealAudio(R) compression.

Q20. My old reels squeak. Why does this happen, and can I fix it?

A20. There are at least two causes for "squeaky reels" on a reel-reel
tape recorder. (1) The tape edge may be rubbing against the rim of a
distorted take-up reel, or (2) the oxide may be sticking to your
erase (or other) heads. If the former, the least frustrating
alternative is probably a new take-up reel. If the latter, Fred Korb
left this note:

If you have any squeaky reels that you would like to
recover, I will be glad to send you more information
on how to do it. Just send me a stamped self addressed
# 10 envelope and I will respond. Send your request
to: Fred Korb, c/o Oldtime Radio Collectors and
Traders Society, 725 Cardigan Court, Naperville,
Illinois 60565-1202. I am willing to help you preserve
the sounds of radio days gone by.

[Editor's note: Fred's method consists of a kit by which a
lubricating film can be automatically applied to the tape as it is
played. I tried it. Although temporary, it does indeed work! I'd
recommend it for those squeaky tapes that you wish to re-record onto
newer reels.]

Richard Fish (lode...@bluemarble.net) also left this helpful info
about an alternative method:

HYRDROLYZATION is the culprit. The tape material -- the
backing, or the binder compound used to stick the magnetic
particles to the plastic backing -- has absorbed water
from the air. The water molecules actually make the tape
expand a bit, so it doesn't fit the machined tape-guides
properly anymore; and they can interfere with the
lubrication impregnated into the tape; and it is theorized
they can even interfere with the polished smoothness of
the tape surface.

WHY SOME TAPES AND NOT OTHERS? It depends on the
formulation of the plastic backing and binder. In the
mid-70s, both 3M (Scotch) and Ampex, the two major tape
manufacturers, started experimenting with their formulas.
They thought they were introducing major improvements,
but instead created a tape much more prone to
hydrolization than anything had ever been. The problem
did not show up for years, and the formulas did not get
corrected until sometime in the mid-'80s. Theoretically
any tape could get hydrolyzed over a long period of time,
especially if stored in a high-humidity situation, but in
practice most squeaky tapes were made (roughly speaking)
between 1975 and 1985.

WHAT'S THE FIX? Tom Lopez at ZBS (the most prolific and
entreprenurially successful producer of radio drama in
the US today) gave me his formula and I've done it many
times now and it works:

Bake the tapes in a convection oven for 8 hours at 130
degrees Fahrenheit. It is entirely possible to bake a
tape twice if the first time doesn't do the trick. You
get about a three-week "window", sez Tom, before the tape
starts to re-absorb water. So the best deal is to bake
the tape and immediately make a copy. But if you forget
to do it and it re-hydrolyzes, you can bake it again.

Q21. Where can I find more information about antique radios?

A21. An excellent place for discussions about antique radios,
phonographs and accessories is the rec.antiques.radio+phono news
group, created by Bill Robie. A pointer to his FAQ may also be found
at http://www.old-time.com. Basically, r.a.r+p

- Is a *discussion* group, rather than a sales group (see r.a.m) -
Focuses on radios, phonos, and related materials made before the 60s
- Avoids "ham" radio gear (the Boat Anchors group covers that) - Has
a -very- comprehensive FAQ that new folks should read

The University of Maryland has a WWW site entitled "Broadcast
Pioneers' Library". This is an excellent resource for the serious /
professional researcher. It can be accessed through the old-time WWW
site, or directly via the URL: http://www.lib.umd.edu/UMCP/LAB/

Additional sites with pictures of old radios or other hardware
resources may also be found at http://www.old-time.com

Q22. What is the best radio / antenna to get distant OTR stations?

A22. Several readers have been acclaiming the GE SuperRadio III as an
excellent choice for picking up distant AM stations that carry OTR
programming. Although the tuning dial has notoriously poor
calibration, the sensitivity and selectivity seem superior to other
radios.

Some readers have had good success with the Select-A-Tenna antenna
advertised in several magazines, and the Grove Catalog. The S-A-T
seems to be rather directional, and may eliminate off-axis
interference.

Ham Radio magazines sometimes carry information about small loop
antennas for AM DX-ing. Some pointers to instructions on how to build
them are at http://www.old-time.com. Also, Dan Hughes
(d...@soltec.net) left this note:

Several years ago one of the electronic magazines ran
plans with dimensions and number of turns, etc to build
one of these antennas. I have built several and I'm no
mechanic. If you (or anyone else reading this) would
like a copy of the article and plans, visit my website
at http://members.soltec.net/~dan

If you are interested in AM Broadcast Band reception, and technical
articles related thereto, send a SASE to the following address for
their product catalog:

National Radio Club
Publications Center
PO Box 164
Mannsville, NY 13667-0164

(The National Radio Club also has a WWW page, at www.nrcdxas.org/)

Q23. Is there a group for modern radio drama ("new-time radio")?

A23. There are several USENET groups whose charters include modern
drama. Check the lists on your local Internet provider to see which
are available to you. Here is a list of some of the WWW pages for
radio drama (more may be found at http://www.old-time.com):

Atlanta Radio Theatre Company: www.artc.org
ZBS Media http://www.zbs.org/zbs.html
LodesTone Productions
http://www.bluemarble.net/lodeston/lode.html
Midwest Radio Theatre Workshop http://www.mrtw.org/mrtw

Q24. I have only email access to the Net. Can I still get the files
at your site?

A24. Maybe. WWW pages can be retrieved by email. Get the following
file for more information:

Accessing The Internet By E-Mail
Doctor Bob's Guide to Offline Internet Access

This document is now available from several automated mail
servers.
To get the latest edition, send e-mail to one of the addresses
below.

To: mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu (for US, Canada & South America)
Enter only this line in the BODY of the note:
send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/access-via-email

To: mail...@mailbase.ac.uk (for Europe, Asia, etc.)
Enter only this line in the BODY of the note:
send lis-iis e-access-inet.txt

Since the OTR FAQ is an "official" FAQ, a copy of it is stored at
MIT, and is available from the MIT mailserver. For more info on how
to get files by email from MIT, send a message

TO: mail-...@rtfm.mit.edu
SUBJECT: [blank]
BODY:
help
end

I have also initiated a simplistic file server. At present, it can
handle only a few files. If you have ONLY email access to the
Internet, and want more information on what is available by email,
send an email in EXACTLY this format:

To: fi...@old-time.com
Subject: send help.otr

do NOT put anything in the body of the message (it won't be read)

Q25. I have never heard "Old Time Radio". Can I get an audio sample
via Internet?

A25. Yes, if you have a suitable WWW browser and sound card. Connect
to any of the WWW sites mentioned above, and follow the pointers to
their audio clips and / or soundbytes. Many of the soundbytes can be
downloaded, and played on your computer's sound card, others will
play "realtime" through your multimedia system. There is also a news
group, alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime, that tries to transfer OTR
shows (news groups are notoriously inefficient at transferring large
binary files, however).

You can select from many moderate-length soundbytes at Jerry
Haendiges' Preview Listening Lounge at
www.otrsite.com/ra/preview.html

Q26. I have lots of loose OTR cassettes filling my drawers. Is there
a better way to store these things?

A26. Collectors with lots of cassettes seem to use just about
everything from "underbed cardboard storage boxes" to old soft drink
cases. If you want your collection to have a more "professional"
look, here is a note from Ron_B...@livewire.com (Ron B. Hare)

You almost need to buy cassette albums from
specialty suppliers. Radio Shack used to carry a
small line of these and charged too much. We are in
the recording studio business, and receive catalogs
from several sources. The one I like best has
some of the lowest prices and unhesitatingly deals
with individuals and will take your credit card
number over the phone for instant shipment (in
contrast to some who require account setup, purchase
orders, prepayment, cash and other nuisances).

They have two catalogs: one for audio and one for
video. Cassette albums are available in a large
number of different styles, sizes and capacities.
The 8-cassette albums I use are CPCN.4+4M/WHT in
white and CPCN.4+4M/RBLU in royal blue. Outside
dimensions are 9 7/8 x 7 x 1 1/4 wide, so they fit
well on a bookshelf. This model also seems to cost
less per cassette than any of the other models,
though logic might lead you to the conclusion that
the larger capacity ones would cost less.
[Polyline has a website at www.polylinecorp.com, and their new
address and phone number are:

Polyline Corporation
1401 Estes Ave.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007]

Q27. All this new software is a bit difficult for me to use, as I am
blind. Can you give me any assistance on how to read your page?

A27. Yes. Although my WWW page is best viewed with Netscape or
Microsoft Explorer, most pages render well with LYNX and associated
reader software.

Blind visitors who depend on DOS-based software to access the net, or
who use a reading program to audibly display their computer's output
might be interested in a program called "Nettamer". The Nettamer home
page is at www.nettamer.net/

Q28. I am interested in re-creating some OTR drama. Where can I get
scripts?

A28. Check your local or national OTR clubs. Many have a "print
library" that includes scripts. You can also point your browser at
the University of Maryland's script page, at
www.lib.umd.edu/UMCP/LAB/scripts.html

Jack French (OTRp...@erols.com) said:

One excellent source is the book. "One Hundred Non-Royalty
Radio Plays" compiled by William Kozlenko, Greenberg Publ of
NYC 1941. It's certainly out of print now, but many libraries
would have a copy. I bought mine at a used book store a few
years ago. The 100 radio plays in the book include adventure,
mystery, fantasy, comedy and historical. Most were originally
produced on educational stations in the 30s. Authors include
Saroyan, Julian, and Liss.

Larry Groebe, of the Generic Radio Workshop, has several pages
dedicated to on-line OTR scripts at web2.airmail.net/lgroebe/

Q29. I can hear what sounds like another program playing in the
background on many of my OTR tapes. Is this due to the tuning on the
old radio or to the tape recorder that recorded the program?

A29. In addition to the old radio being mistuned, similar problems
can be caused by one or more of the tape recorders used before you
received your copy of the program. Print-through has already been
mentioned in Q & A 19. Bob Burnham has a nice explanation of two more
problems: crosstalk and channel leakage.

Crosstalk and Channel Leakage are 2 different things. OTR
collectors seem to have the most problem with channel
leakage.

When you hear another program faintly playing in the
background in normal direction, this is usually Channel
Leakage. This is a leftover problem from the 1970s &
early '80s when most collectors traded on open reel
tapes which were quarter-track mono -- there were
different (separate) programs on left & right channels.
This allowed 6 hours of shows to be placed on one reel.
Unfortunately, many collectors would duplicate L & R
shows simultaneously. Depending on the quality of the
equipment (and its condition) it was common for one
program to bleed into the opposite channel...especially
if the collector was careless and allowed over-modulation.

Crosstalk results when a tape is recorded (or played
back) on a machine with mis-aligned tape heads. It can
also occur when trying to record over a 1/2 track
recording with a 1/4 track machine with dirty or
mis-aligned erase head. You usually will hear another
program playing IN REVERSE in the background.

HOW TO PREVENT CHANNEL LEAKAGE AND CROSSTALK...

If duplicating quarter track reels, copy ONE channel or
track at a time. As for crosstalk, make certain your
machines are kept in proper alignment. Use a high quality
BULK ERASER if you re-use old tapes... this is especially
true for those who use reels.

Sorry, there is NOTHING you can do to remove these flaws
once they are there.

Q30. Can I chat with other OTR fans on the internet?

A30. Yes. Lois Culver (lo...@chatlink.com) and other OTR fans meet
every Thursday at 8:00 PM Eastern time, on Channel #OldRadio, on the
StarLink-IRC. If you are unfamiliar with Internet Relay Chat, please
get software and instructions from your favorite Internet Service
Provider or shareware/freeware software site, or connect to
www.old-time.com/irc.html for basic instructions.

Q31. I'm looking for copies of old "CBS Mystery Theatre" radio
programs, primarily from the 1970s era. Does anyone know where I can
call or write to obtain such items? I'd like to purchase a complete
set if possible.

A31. Jack French (OTRp...@erols.com) left the following information:

You most certainly do not want a complete set of this
series, because you couldn't afford it. There were 2,970
shows aired so even if you could find them for a buck an
episode, you'd have to cough up three Gs. The series ran
from 1-6-74 to 12-31-82 and since it came so late in
radio history, every episode was recorded by somebody.
All episodes are still copyrighted, and CBS enforces
their copyrights. Therefore no dealer is going to list
them, and collectors are reluctant to sell or rent them.
Your only hope is to find some way to get copies in a
fashion not in violation of copyright law.

Editor's note: By my count, there were about 1400 different CBSRMT
shows. The rest may be duplicates.

Q32. Is there an internet news group for old time radio?

A32. Yes. alt.radio.oldtime is available via some news servers. Since
many news servers ignore alt.groups, you may need to contact your ISP
to get that news group listed locally. See
www.old-time.com/newsgroups.html for more information. Also try
www.deja.com to sample some of the messages.

Q33. OTR network shows were usually heard at the same local time, no
matter what the time zone. How did they do this?

A33. Two ways: Many networks used telephone lines to carry the show
from the studio to transmitter sites. The show was done live at least
twice - once for the East coast, once for the West. After Bing Crosby
spearheaded the introduction of recorded shows (about 1948), the East
coast show was recorded for later telephone transmission to the West
coast.

Q34. I'd like all the information there is about [insert name of OTR
show]. Is there a FAQ that covers all the shows ever on the radio?

A34. No. There are many books (Remember them? They have words printed
on pieces of processed dead tree) written about what we now call
"OTR". See answers A7 and A37. If you would like to contribute an
original article about one or more facets of OTR, many of the
webmasters of on-line OTR sites would be happy to consider archiving
it.

Q35. Is there any information on OTR conventions?

A35. Yes. There are several. Here are some of the larger ones:
* Annual OTR and Nostalgia Convention in Cincinnati, OH (April)
* Radio Classics Live, Brockton MA (May)
* Annual Lum and Abner Society Convention (June)
* REPS Radio Showcase (June)
* Friends of Old-Time Radio (October)
* SPERDVAC (November)

See the convention page at www.old-time.com for specific dates and
contact person info.

Q36. Are there any WWW Bulletin Boards where I can post OTR questions
and read OTR information?

A36. Yes. Try Old Time Radio Bulletin Boards at
www.old-time.com/otrbbss.html. That page contains a list of several
old-time radio oriented WWW bulletin boards. You can also access OTR
message boards at www.lofcom.com

Q37. I would like to find recordings of [fill in rare OTR show name].
I have seen the show mentioned in Jay Hickerson's book, but haven't
seen the show in any of the paper or on-line catalogs. How do I get
this show?

A37. Jack French, an expert on old-time radio and editor of Radio
Recall, gives us this information:

There's good news and bad news....the good news is if
Jay's compendium says they are in circulation, somebody
has them. The bad news is there is no guarantee you'll
find them. Let's start at the beginning. If they're in
Jay's book, and there is either the initials of a
dealer, log preparer, or collector with that entry, the
assumption is that person has some or maybe most. If the
entry is devoid of such, we push on. Few dealers list
rare shows in catalogs since so few people want to buy
them. Generally the catalog represents a small part of a
dealer's or collector's total holdings. There are at
least forty OTR dealers in the country so you can
contact each one with a specific inquiry. Most
collectors belong to at least one OTR club. There are
about 20 clubs. Most will publish your request in their
newsletter for little or no cost. Most of the members of
OTR clubs are not on-line so this is the only way to
reach them. There are over 25 state and college archives
that may have the shows. Most have no catalog but will
answer any reasonable inquiry. Contact them all. All of
the contact addresses for OTR clubs, pubs, dealers, and
archives are contained in NARA OTR Source List. Contact
me separately if you're interested in this low-cost
research aid.

Q38. I see a lot of OTR MP3s on the WWW. Are these worth collecting?
How about the OTR CD-ROMs being offered on the WWW, are they worth
the money?

A38. Just as with home made recordings of any type, the quality of
OTR MP3s varies considerably. Some of the online MP3s may have been
converted from low sample rate RealAudio(tm) files, others might have
been "ripped" from low-generation masters. Most CD-ROMs for sale on
the WWW were recorded using these varying-quality MP3s. In other
words, the MP3s in themselves are "collectable" only for the
enjoyment one might get from listening or further trading. They have
little intrinsic value, and are of unknown quality. It might help to
associate your estimate of quality with the provider's name, to
attempt to predict quality and avoid long downloads of poorly
prepared material. Another point to remember - some OTR is still
under copyright protection. Please observe applicable copyright laws.

Q39. Were any of the old-time radio personalities interviewed
recently? Where can I find these interviews?

A39. A large number of OTR personalities were interviewed by the
author John Dunning. Stewart Wright, Editor of the RHAC Newsletter
gave us the following information. (You can learn more about RHAC by
checking their page at http://www.old-time.com/sponsors/rhac.html)

The Radio Historical Association of Colorado (RHAC) has tapes of
many OTR personalities interviews that were conducted by John
Dunning in the 1980's. Several Radio personalities such as Elliot
Lewis were interviewed more than once. The following is a fairly
complete list of the Dunning interviews in the RHAC library.

Steve Allen, Elvia Allman, Eve Arden, Hy Averback, Parley Baer,
Parley Baer and Georgia Ellis, Parley Baer and Sam Edwards,
Parley Baer and Whitfield Conner, Bill Baldwin, George Balzer,
Harry Bartell, Andre Baruch and Bea Wain, Court Benson & Grace
Matthews, Bernice Berwin, Mel Blanc, Ray Bradbury, Curley
Bradley, Frank Bresee, Candy Candido, Hal Cantor, Charles
Collingwood, Whitfield Conner & Haila Stodd, Whitfield Conner and
Parley Baer, Whitfield Conner and Virginia Greeg, Norman Corwin,
Mary Jane Croft, D Day Program J Macvane & Lar, Dennis Day,
Rosemary De Camp, John Dehner, Kenny Delmar, Jerry Devine, Howard
Duff and Dick Joy, Richard Durham, Ruth Duskin Feldman, Sam
Edwards, Sam Edwards and Janet Waldo, Alice Faye, George
Fenneman, Morton Fine, Al Flanagan and Dick Mcdaniel, Paul Frees,
Fred Friendly, Alice Frost, Art Gilmore, Roberta Goodwin (Bob
Bailey's Daughter), Gale Gordon, Virginia Gregg, Virginia Gregg
and Whitfield Conner, Phil Harris, Clarence Hartzell, Dennis
Horseford, John Houseman, Bill Idelson, Raymond Johnson, Jack
Johnstone, Jim Jordan, Dick Joy, Roland Kibbee, Sheldon Leonard,
Phil Leslie, Larry Lesueur, Elliot Lewis, John Macvane, Fletcher
Markle, Fletcher Markle, Grace Matthews & Court Benson, Dick
McDaniel and Al Flanagan, Dick McDaniels and Pete Smythe, Marvin
Miller, Shirley Mitchell, Carlton E Morris, Morris Kaplan, Frank
Nelson, E Jack Neuman, Nelson Olmstead, Vic Perrin, Michael
Raffetto, William N Robson, Eric Sevareid, Anne Seymour, William
L. Shirer, Penny Singleton, Pete Smythe Collegiate Band, Olan
Soule, Berne Surrey, Glenhall Taylor, Irene Tedrow, Cliff
Thorsness, Les Tremayne, Lurene Tuttle, Veola Vonn, Janet Waldo,
Gertrude Warner, Peggy Webber, Anne Whitfield, and Dr. Paul
Winchell.

The Radio Enthusiasts of Puget Sound (REPS) also has interview tapes
of many Old-Time Radio personalities. Most of these interviews have
been conducted in the 1990's. Personalities include:

John Archer, Harry Bartell, Frank Buxton, Chris Conrad (Son of
William Conrad), William Conrad, William Conrad & George Walsh,
Stewart Conway, Norman Corwin, Sam Edwards, Herb Ellis, Charlie
Flynn, Jim French, Sandra Gould, Burl Ives, Peggy Jordan
(Granddaughter of Jim & Marian Jordan), Merrill Mael, Jo Anna
March, Les Tremayne, Janet Waldo, Anne Whitfield Phillips, Rhoda
Williams, and Douglas Young.

The REPS web site is located at: http://welcome.to/reps

Yesterday USA on the Internet is doing a series of live interviews
with OTR personalities about one every two weeks. They start at
approximately 8 PM (ET) on alternate Sundays and are about 1 hour in
length. The interviews are conducted by John or Larry Gassman. So far
they have done Harry Bartell, Herb Ellis, and Conrad Binyon.
Listeners can call in questions.

You can find out more information on upcoming interviews by going to
the YUSA Home page at http://www.yesterdayusa.com/

Q40. What MP3 player is best for OTR?

A40. MP3s can be played on most computers, memory (RAM)-based
players, hard-drive players, and CD-ROM based players. Each player
has advantages and disadvantages. A chart comparing various CD-ROM
players for OTR playback suitability is at www.old-time.com

NOTE: URLs mentioned in this FAQ may have changed. For the latest
information, point your browser to www.old-time.com, or join one of
the internet mailgroups mentioned above. Email addresses listed here
may have changed as well.

If you find errors in this document, please report them to
webm...@old-time.com

Copyright (c) Lou Genco. All rights reserved. Not-for-profit
distribution encouraged as long as this document is reproduced in its
entirety, unedited, and with this copyright notice intact.