Notes from a site visit to Evidence Action's No Lean Season in Bangladesh

Nicole Zok

Jul 19, 2018, 5:15:46 PM7/19/18
to newly-published-g...@googlegroups.com
http://files.givewell.org/files/conversations/No_Lean_Season_site_visit_September_2017.pdf

In September 2017, GiveWell staff visited the No Lean Season program in Bangladesh. This visit increased our positive impression of the program's implementation by RDRS Bangladesh and Evidence Action. None of our observations left us with major concerns about the program. We learned more detail about the context in which the program operates, including: migrants' use of high-interest loans from local money lenders in order to migrate, the timing of the lean season, the frequency of rural-to-rural migration, and barriers to saving money to buy a bus ticket. We continued to have significant open questions about Evidence Action's monitoring, which was early in its development, and we were not able to learn very much about the potential downsides of migration.

--
Nicole Zok
Research Analyst