Subscribing to an Authenticated Feed (https: ....)

Hmmmm!

Oct 23, 2009, 11:16:54 PM10/23/09
to NetNewsWire-Mac
I can't for the life of me figure out how to subscribe to an
authenticated feed ... it is a https:// link with a username and
password.

How does one do this?

NetNewsWire version 3.2.2

Also, the updating feature is broken ... in previous version

Brent Simmons

Oct 23, 2009, 11:18:46 PM10/23/09
to netnews...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to subscribe to it just like any other feed. If it
requires a username and password, NetNewsWire will ask you to enter
them.

-Brent

Hmmmm!

Oct 24, 2009, 11:52:48 AM10/24/09
to NetNewsWire-Mac
Hey Brent,

Unfortunately, I am unable to get this to work ... the error that I
get is ...

"Can’t subscribe to feed because: could not find a feed."

I know there is a feed ... any suggestions?

Thanks

spratte

Oct 24, 2009, 10:46:24 AM10/24/09
to NetNewsWire-Mac
Got that part, but it doesn't seem to carry over to Google Reader and
therefore it doesn't sync correctly across my NNW installs.
It showed up as (title unknown) in Google Reader.

Feed in case is one of Daring Fireball's member-only feeds.

Brent Simmons

Oct 24, 2009, 2:04:56 PM10/24/09
to netnews...@googlegroups.com
Then the feed is probably invalid in some way. Can you get it working
in another news reader?

If you would email me privately the source, or the URL plus username/
password, I'd check it out myself to see if there's a bug in
NetNewsWire or in the feed. (But I totally understand if you can't,
since it sounds like a private feed.)

-Brent

Brent Simmons

Oct 24, 2009, 2:05:58 PM10/24/09
to netnews...@googlegroups.com
Google Reader doesn't sync authenticated feeds. In the case of Daring
Fireball, you can use the public feed -- which *does* include full
text -- if you want it to sync.

http://daringfireball.net/index.xml

-Brent

spratte

Oct 27, 2009, 9:55:17 AM10/27/09
to NetNewsWire-Mac
Thanks Brent. I don't suppose you have a Google's Crystal Ball and
have any idea if they expect to support authenticated feeds?

Brent Simmons

Oct 27, 2009, 4:35:34 PM10/27/09
to netnews...@googlegroups.com
Nope, no crystal ball or inside knowledge.

The best way to speculate about things like this is to put yourself in
Google's shoes. Deciding to add a feature is a calculation: how much
time/money to implement, maintain, and run? What's the benefit?

I could speculate about the answers to those questions, and that
speculation would lead to further speculation about when you'd see
this feature, but I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader.

-Brent

Jack (Black Pixel)

Sep 24, 2012, 7:12:40 PM9/24/12
to netnews...@googlegroups.com
What is the feed URL?

If you don't want to post it here, please send an email to sup...@blackpixel.com with the details.

Jack

The NetNewsWire Support Team
@nnw_mac

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:48:36 PM UTC-7, Scott Helgesen wrote:
I have gotten the same error.  Did you ever get this adressed?  I can get the feed to load in Shrook, internet explorer, and Outlook, but I want something that actually syncs with Google Reader and isn't painful to look at.

Jack (Black Pixel)

Feb 11, 2013, 1:14:16 PM2/11/13
to netnews...@googlegroups.com, ja...@blackpixel.com
Both NetNewsWire and Google Reader can't auto-detect the feed on that page. But the feed URL is linked at the bottom of the sidebar:

Using that for the subscription URL works.

Jack

The NetNewsWire Support Team
@nnw_mac

On Monday, February 11, 2013 9:54:04 AM UTC-8, iamw...@gmail.com wrote:
were you able to solve the problem? I am having the same problem with this url:

message says it cannot find a feed.

Thanks,

martin