Server and gateway

Filippo Carletti

Jul 25, 2013, 5:52:28 AM7/25/13
to neths...@googlegroups.com
Last Monday we started using NethServer in s&g mode at our office. We
are still working on some features (vpn, ip aliases, traffic
accounting), but the web proxy with antivirus and content filter is
working well.
We will begin to design a user interface to configure firewall rules,
but we're still evaluating options.

Do you have an example of a suitable firewall GUI, i.e. powerful, easy
and user friendly?

--
Ciao,
Filippo

Michele Montanari

Jul 29, 2013, 7:52:12 AM7/29/13
to neths...@googlegroups.com
You mean a design to inspire or a package/development tool to use?
Message has been deleted

Giacomo Sanchietti

Jul 30, 2013, 2:27:38 AM7/30/13
to neths...@googlegroups.com
> Maybe... a "rule calculator" can be realised for verify rules from not
> skilled people, keeping "easy" the rule creation for people who knows
> how to write them,

I agree. Probably we should have two kinds of UI: simple and advanced.
The simple should be a 'view', or a 'rule calculator' as Michele called
it, of extended rules.
Maybe we can resemble the Shorewall syntax for the advanced view:
Shorewall configuration files are similar to iptables rules but with a
little bit of abstraction.

Giacomo

Michele Montanari

Jul 30, 2013, 3:52:32 AM7/30/13
to neths...@googlegroups.com
A little critical point could be the mixup between the simple and advanced setup. They must be symbiotic, for do not mess-up the rules in a "mixed mode" editing.
My opinion is that the rule editor should be far easier than writing on console IPTables. But also powerful enough for create not-so-easy rules.

Also, Rule Calculator "seem" a report generator for non-tech people...