Japanese Animation

Mary Anne Espenshade

Feb 20, 1985, 5:07:56 PM2/20/85
John Johnston writes:
> I'd like to know if anyone out there has an interest in Japanese
> animation especially the histories, books, memorabilia, videos, etc. of

> 1 ) the YAMATO series films and TV serials
> (both the Japanese originals and the American
> cloned 'Star Blazers')
> 2 ) the GALAXY EXPRESS 999 TV serials
> 3 ) the 'MY YOUTH IN ARCADIA' serials and/or films
> 4 ) older Japanses animation, such as SPEED RACER.
> . . .
> Any info you can spare will be GREATLY appreciated ! Let me know I'm
> not completely alone out here..........................*

You are not alone John and hopefully other people will join this
discussion, too. I'm cutting back the newsgroups posted to, to just
net.tv and net.comics (net.sf-lovers tends to get upset about tv/movie
related discussions). Almost all Japanese animated series are either
based on manga (Japanese comic books) or are printed in comic form after
the fact either as anime comics (using frame reproductions like a
photo-novel) or as adaptations, so the net.comics folks may be interested.

The best way to find out about these shows is to join the Cartoon/Fantasy
Organization or C/FO. The national club newsletter is terrific and there
are lots of local chapters that have monthly meetings and put out their
own newsletters. Some members trade tapes with fans in Japan. There
are more and more dealers turning up at conventions with books, posters,
and models but not much gets shown on video programs unless a local
C/FO or Star Blazers Fan Club chapter organizes it. C/FO MidAtlantic
organized a Japanese animation video room at ConStellation, the 1983
World Con, and there was a lot shown at last year's World Con since
there are a lot of C/FO chapters in California. The Star Blazers Fan
Club usually runs the video room at Lunacon in New York.

Some of my favorites are Yamato (of course), Urashiman, Macross (a nice English
version of this is coming out on tape, just ignore the horrid theme song they
added), Captain Harlock, Dunbine, Orguss, Catseye, Gatchaman, Lupin III,
Mospeada, Mobile Suit Gundam and ... I had better stop there before I fill up
the page. I remember enjoying Speed Racer and Marine Boy when I was little,
but they don't look so good compared to the excellent productions coming
out now. The increase in quality is particularly visible over the course
of the Yamato series - the first series, from 1974, looks good compared
to American tv animation even today, but each production gets better up to
the movie Final Yamato, from 1983, which has an unbearably stupid plot but
beautiful art work.

> "Can you read Japanese ?"
I'm learning, using manga and books about animated series.
> "With artwork like this, does it
> really matter ???"
Quite true!

Further comments and questions welcome!