MultiMac MULTITASKING!

Tony Jacobs

Nov 21, 1985, 12:12:47 PM11/21/85
Subject: MuliMac (MULTITASKING!)
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac

MulitMac is a multitasking program that lets you run more than one job
at the same time. Haven't you always wanted to listen to your favorite
MusicWorks tune while you compose a letter in Word? Now you can.
No this isn't a paid announcement and I have no connections with the author.
I've seen up to 6 applications running at the same time. The program installs
another apple menu at the left of the bar and has the manager as the first
item with the applications loaded following. The manager shows you how much
memory each application is using along with the priority. Also shown is how
much free memory and casche memory there is. It also showes you how much
memory is purgable. You can also set the delay for writes from 1 to 60
seconds (I assume this is for the casche.)
You can go back to the finder any time. Other applications windows are
sometimes visible. This depends on whether an application refreshes the
whole screen or just a window.
The version I saw didn't have any release number in the "About..." so I can
only assume it is a beta. It doesn't work with some programs (like MacPaint)
and some apps need to be the first app loaded to work (like MacDraw.)
When you run multiple sound apps the first one run is the one that works,
the rest will run but you don't hear a them. It ran on the Bernoulli system
but it hasn't been tried on a HyperDrive yet.
The Switcher is a darn nice program but with polish MultiMac is going to
leave it in the dust. You can set MultiMac as the startup and it just comes
back to the finder with the second apple menu.
Also, the manager has a "lazy menu" switch which makes the menus pop down
when the cursor is over them without having to click (similar to the
Atari ST.)

... I stand corrected. I just tried out 1.4 MacPaint and it worked! This
program is sorely AMAZING! I quit MacPaint and it returned to the finder
immediately, and I WATCHED THE TEMPORARY FILES DISAPEAR!!!!

The author appears to be Jwa Van der Vuurst and (C) 1985 Aubrac Systems.

Mr. Van der Vuurst where are you. I want to buy this program RIGHT NOW AT
ANY COST!!

Ephraim Vishniac

Nov 25, 1985, 1:39:57 PM11/25/85
> MultiMac is a multitasking program that lets you run more than one job

> at the same time. Haven't you always wanted to listen to your favorite
> MusicWorks tune while you compose a letter in Word? Now you can.

> The version I saw didn't have any release number in the "About..." so I can
> only assume it is a beta....

> The author appears to be Jwa Van der Vuurst and (C) 1985 Aubrac Systems.
>
> Mr. Van der Vuurst where are you. I want to buy this program RIGHT NOW AT
> ANY COST!!

For those who are curious to try MultiMac, it is available for downloading
from Mass Mac and Electric at 617-231-2810. I've just downloaded it myself
and will try it out just as soon as I get home. A note on MM&E says that it
bombs immediately on a 128K Mac, so thin-Mac owners need not apply. I have
no idea who posted the program or what its status (public-domain/shareware or
straight commercial effort) is. Does anyone know how to find Aubrac Systems?
--
Ephraim Vishniac
[apollo, bbncca, cadmus, decvax, harvard, linus, masscomp]!wanginst!vishniac

Ephraim Vishniac

Nov 26, 1985, 8:10:00 AM11/26/85
> > MultiMac is a multitasking program that lets you run more than one job
> > at the same time....

> > The author appears to be Jwa Van der Vuurst and (C) 1985 Aubrac Systems.
> >
> > Mr. Van der Vuurst where are you. I want to buy this program RIGHT NOW AT
> > ANY COST!!
>
> For those who are curious to try MultiMac, it is available for downloading
> from Mass Mac and Electric at 617-231-2810. I've just downloaded it myself
> and will try it out just as soon as I get home. A note on MM&E says that it
> bombs immediately on a 128K Mac, so thin-Mac owners need not apply....

Obese Mac owners need not apply, either. On my 1.5 Meg
Mac, it tried to bomb immediately, but couldn't even do that right. I
opened it with Fedit and noticed the constant '00080000' (that's 512K)
liberally scattered through the code. I opened it with ResEdit and decided
that the author is a hacker, not an engineer.

"MultiMac" is about 28K. It consists of a driver (about 27K) and perhaps
six other resources. None of the resources are text, dialogs, alerts...
All of the text and any menus, controls, strings, dialogs, and whatnot are
all hardwired into that massive driver.

What does it do? I still don't know.

t...@ism780b.uucp

Nov 26, 1985, 6:38:00 PM11/26/85

The word on CompuServe is that MultiMac is commercial software, and
should *NOT* be on any BBSs.

Tim Smith
ima!ism780!tim
ihnp4!cithep!tim

t...@ism780b.uucp

Dec 2, 1985, 11:33:00 AM12/2/85

Re: MultiMac

>> and will try it out just as soon as I get home. A note on MM&E
>> says that it bombs immediately on a 128K Mac, so thin-Mac owners
>> need not apply....

> Obese Mac owners need not apply, either. On my 1.5 Meg
> Mac, it tried to bomb immediately, but couldn't even do that right. I

A note on CompuServe says that it won't work with a hard disk. Oh well...

Brad Parker

Dec 4, 1985, 8:04:43 PM12/4/85
In article <3640...@ISM780B.UUCP> t...@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
>Re: MultiMac

>A note on CompuServe says that it won't work with a hard disk. Oh well...

Not true. It simply doesn't work with any 32 bit trap managers (read
>512K macs, HyperDrive 20's (works fine with 10's - don't install the print
spooler) This, I am told, it due to the non-reentrant nature of the
"GetTrapAddress" trap.
--

J Bradford Parker
seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon." - Alan Perlis