Atari Online

Neil Harris

Feb 12, 1986, 6:20:24 PM2/12/86
We're here! Landon Dyer has not got me wired up to our VAX yet, but I have
managed to find my way into usenet anyway. Hope I can find a good book on
Unix in a hurry!

The next shipment of 520ST computers will have the following video signals:
70 Hz High-resolution monochrome (works on mono monitor ONLY)
60 Hz RGB Analog
Composite Video
Modulated Rf signal
The last 2 on the list are new. All _except_ monochrome will work on
color modes, low & medium res.

The new ST systems are due any day now. Hope this message gets out to you all
am still learning this...

Erik Freed

Feb 13, 1986, 10:53:09 AM2/13/86
> We're here! Landon Dyer has not got me wired up to our VAX yet, but I have
> managed to find my way into usenet anyway. Hope I can find a good book on
> Unix in a hurry!

Can I assume that you are an employee of Atari? I guess that you might want to
introduce yourself. I got the idea that you are maybe the answer to our dreams
(an actual official conduit from Atari to the NET) If so, can we start
directing questions to you? In any case welcome! We would love to have the same
sort of response that Amiga gives through their hookup to the NET. If
you teach us about the ST we will teach you about Unix. Deal?
Erik James Freed
Aurora Systems
San Francisco, CA
{dual,ptsfa}!aum!freed

fra...@iuvax.uucp

Feb 14, 1986, 12:53:00 PM2/14/86

Welcome aboard. What did you say your name is?

Felt...@xerox.com

Feb 14, 1986, 1:17:52 PM2/14/86

Neil,

Hi!
Great to have Atari on the net! Rumors fly fast and furious around
here. Hopfully you will be able to improve the accuracy of net
information. Can you also supply technical information
(hardware/software) when specific questions are asked about the 520?

John

ne...@atari.uucp

Feb 14, 1986, 5:13:29 PM2/14/86
OK, looks like I am on through the Atari VAX now. So let me introduce
myself.

Name: Neil Harris Title: Director of Communications
Marketing Dept. Atari Corp.

I make sure we are letting everyone know what we are up to. I do this
via our magazine, "Atari Explorer", our dealer newsletter, and on every
online service I can find including CompuServe, BIX, the WELL, GENIE,
and the official Atari BBS (408-745-5308, 4 lines, no waiting!).

If you have serious technical questions they should probably go through
Landon Dyer who has already checked in here (yes, he's the one on the BIOS
listing). I can help with many technical matters and with most product
availability questions - I was an applications programmer in a previous
life. If I do anything silly here it is because I'm a beginner at UNIX --
have been playing with itty bitty computers for too long.

Some interesting news: the first shipment of 1040ST computers has arrived
in the Atari warehouse, according to Sam Tramiel (our President). We also
got the first batch of 520's with TOR in ROM and with modulators.

Neil Harris

Feb 16, 1986, 6:55:44 PM2/16/86
> Hopfully you will be able to improve the accuracy of net
> information. Can you also supply technical information
> (hardware/software) when specific questions are asked about them?

Can do. Since I am not a systems programmer, there are some questions I
won't know the answers to right away -- but I have access to those who do.
And, of course, I have the availability info that seems to have been lacking
here.

Speaking of which, as stated in my last message -- the 1040ST shipment has
definitely arrived in the US warehouse and should be going out to dealers
shortly. Dealers who buy through distributors should call to find out which
distributors carry the 1040's, all others should call their rep or Atari
direct.

Ed Tankus

Feb 18, 1986, 8:26:54 AM2/18/86
> > Hopfully you will be able to improve the accuracy of net
> > information. Can you also supply technical information
> > (hardware/software) when specific questions are asked about them?
>
> Can do. Since I am not a systems programmer, there are some questions I
> won't know the answers to right away -- but I have access to those who do.
> And, of course, I have the availability info that seems to have been lacking
> here.
>
> Product announcement went here ...

Neil,

Maybe one of the questions you could answer for us is: What is your pathname
and can we send you mail?

I have looked over the newsite info but can not find out to which machine(s)
you are connected. Can you or anyone else help out?

Thanks!

--

" For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

Ed Tankus
Net : {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
Snail: Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511

Neil Harris

Feb 18, 1986, 2:53:05 PM2/18/86
In article <500...@iuvax.UUCP>, fra...@iuvax.UUCP writes:

> Welcome aboard. What did you say your name is?

My name is Neil Harris. My title is currently "Director of Communications",
and I serve in the marketing dept. to help communications on product matters.