ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! - (nf)

baumer, c.t.

Jul 3, 1984, 3:00:46 AM7/3/84
#N:ihlpf:14100011:000:3101
ihlpf!ctb Jul 3 00:02:00 1984

.

S T O P I T !!!

EVERYONE STOP TALKING ABOUT SPELLING. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW
DAMN SORRY I AM THAT I MISSPELLED A FEW WORDS!!!!!

SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY!

I STARTED THIS WHOLE STUPID THING, AND NOW I'M GONNA' TRY
TO PUT AN END TO IT!!! NOW EVERYONE GATHER AROUND LISSEN'
HERE:

now that everyone has proven they can/can not spell, let's DROP THE
TOPIC. this is net.jokes.d, not NET.SPELL.IDIOTS!!!

don't you people realize that when you type a letter on the net
you generate data on HUNDREDS of machines????? if you can't handle
a little typo, THEN FORGET IT!!! YOU'RE TOO DAMN PICKY FOR THIS
NET.

everyone get a grip, grow up, wake up and smell the coffee, get
off your high horse, join the real world, get off my case, take
a spelling hike, realize people don't really care to see this kind
of junk on the net, at least not in THIS topic.

maybe an admission of complete guilt will help things....
i admit it, i'm an IDIOT, my IQ is still in the single digits. OBVIOUSLY
if i misspell a word like monitor, i CAN'T spell it, and EVERYONE on
the net needs to learn how. god, i wish EVERY misspelled word or two
had a follow up letter from a genius letting the plebe know the way
and the truth. it's not like we'd ever know on our own. i feel so
lucky, so enlightened, so enriched by the experience. i RUSHED to my
dictionary and put the word 'MONITOR' in my obviously lacking version.

rccall:
i'm now going to spell a word incorrectly, and i want you to write back
to me personally (at ihnp4!ihdev!rjv) and tell me the correct spelling.
this will be like something of a trial run. that way in the future you
won't have to torture everyone else on the net. the word i want to spell
is 'peruke'(look it up, i'm not a dictionary service!), but i'll actually
spell it 'paruke'. here goes...

ghee, that's a lovely paruke you have there.

there, now rush your correct answer to the address given. you'll feel
better, showing another retarded idiot the light at the end of the tunnel
of proper english, and the rest of the net will never even know!

my one big point is, send that kind of help/hate mail to the person
(or me) DIRECTLY.

sinSerely, <-- look! everyone jump on it!!! send those 'correction
ron letters' RIGHT NOW!

(replies to: ihnp4!ihdev!rjv)

ps:
i would now like to apologize for all of this. why am i acting like a
three year old?? because i'm SICK of the 'nanny-nanny boo-boo, you can't
spell pooh-pooh' attitude i've seen, and i'm fighting fire with fire
(or pooh-pooh with pooh-pooh, whatever the case may be).
let's face it, this has gotten out of hand. even the one person
who came to my defense was wrong! i DID misspell embarrass (remember,
i was dropped as a small child, can't read etc. etc.) a valiant effort,
and i sure appreciate it, but gheeez....

am i getting carried away here, or will maybe all of this ranting and
jumping up and down (if it's in caps i'm trying to YELL!) will knock
some sense into some people. i'd like to hear some thoughts on the
matter.
----------

t...@teldata.uucp

Jul 11, 1984, 6:15:37 PM7/11/84
, (sop to the blank line eaters--consider it a religious sacrifice)

I heartily agree that we quit with spelling corrections. I personally
can't spell worth a damn without (or sometimes with) my dictionary.
One of the reasons for this is that English does not follow the "rules"
that it purports to use, and having no rules you can only spell those
words whose spelling you can memorize correctly. Now I don't know about
you, but I don't have memory cells to waste on a working vocabulary of
any size. I run spell on some of my articles, but not all. I accept
that I can't spell well and live with it. I also have the following
sign on my wall:

.-------------------------------.
| IT'S A DAMN POOR MIND |
| THAT CAN ONLY THINK OF |
| ONE WAY TO SPELL A WORD. |
| President Andrew Jackson |

From the Ghotibowl (spelled phonetically) of
Tom Condon {...!uw-beaver!teltone!teldata!tac}

A Misspelling A Day Keeps Perfection Away.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are those of everyone who
matters, but not necessarily anyone you know, and most certainly not
my employers!