Manga! Manga!

hu...@shark.uucp

Oct 29, 1984, 7:47:39 PM10/29/84
From: shark!hutch (Stephen Hutchison)
<gazinger bug-thwarter GO!>

This is a favorable review of the book "Manga! Manga!" by Frederick L Schodt.
It is a reasonably in-depth review of the Japanese comics art tradition.

Manga is (one of) the popular term describing the black and white, paperback
size comic books which are pervasively popular in Japan.

The word comes from two characters, man (meaning inconstant, whimsical)
and ga (drawing). Interestingly, man also means "moral turpitude".

The book covers the history of manga from the woodblock prints over
a thousand years old (now THAT's a long run!) to the modern girl's manga.
(They don't really have a proper name for the mags aimed at young girls).

The foreword is by Ozamu Tezuka, who is to Japanese comics what John Lennon
is to modern rock music. He was the author of "Astroboy" and of "Kimba the
White Lion" and countless others.

It was a bit pricey. We picked it up at Powell's Books in Portland for
20$ in somewhat used condition. I suggest you get it at a library. IF they
don't have a copy, ask them to buy it.

Hutch
(\_____/)
\*\ /*/